Fuel Stabiliser?

sams700

I think for the first time ever, I will put my bike away for around 2-3 months. I usually keep my bike running over the winter period and try and take some cheeky rides out, but cant be bothered this year (telling in itself).

What fuel stabiliser if any do I need?

Also other than putting the battery on charge, washing the bike and putting it on stands, anything else I need to do?

thanks

Slowboy
17 minutes ago, sams700 said:

I think for the first time ever, I will put my bike away for around 2-3 months. I usually keep my bike running over the winter period and try and take some cheeky rides out, but cant be bothered this year (telling in itself).

know what you mean, only my 125 comes out now and again

What fuel stabiliser if any do I need?

None. Just fill the tank up. Even if you don’t it’ll be fine.

Also other than putting the battery on charge, washing the bike and putting it on stands, anything else I need to do?

thanks

That’ll be fine. Don’t start it now and again, it’s not necessary.

mine survive well without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I did fill the tank up to the brim and then emptied it, thinking I should get some fuel stabiliser lol. Got a mouthful of fuel to boot as well.

I will just top it up with fresh fuel, when I get motoring again and hopefully it will all be well,

The chemical experts say that gasoline with ethyl alcohol added tends to destabilize faster in warm and moist environments.

Since most owners here are from the European region, specifically the UK, your "winter" non-riding season is very short.

I wouldn't worry about fuel additives and stabilizers for you, unless you're putting the bike to sleep over the Spring through Fall riding seasons.

In that case, Stabil or Seafoam are the top choices in N.America.

I don't know if those are available in your neck of the woods.

Otherwise, just fill your tank to the top, leave your battery on a maintainer, and try to keep both tires off the ground would be my suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Defender

If you're really worried then a friend recommended Briggs and Stratton's fuel stabiliser, he's used it for several years now. 

• Like 2
Dashwood

I use this in my CB and 250 rally. It’s supposed to help counter the negative affects of ethanol, it’s not expensive either. I add it to the tank then top off with fresh petrol and run the bikes up to temperature. A few more psi in each tyre and then connect the bikes to the trickle charger.

• Like 1
Defender

That's good to know, thanks for the info.

You're forum name is interesting as I've spent many years in and around High Wycombe where Dashwood is a recognised local name, do you have any connection to the 'Wycombe area etc?

• Like 1
Dashwood

The Dashwood family owned a lot of property (including the manor house) in the village where I live near Chipping Norton - https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol11/pp209-222

I guess there could well be a connection between the two areas. Once lock down 3 ends (I think next month is optimistic) there are some good motorcycle routes around here if you're ever in the area. I'd be happy to give you the tour.

Paul.