Robinjr

Hand guards

Robinjr

I’m looking to fit decent handguards on my 750X DCT. I like the look of the Givi HP1111 but don’t seem able to source any in the UK. Not willing to buy from Italy with the attendant import costs / taxes etc. I don’t want to have to do away with the internal handlebar weights either. 
Any recommendations gratefully received

wjvh

I have barkbusters storm guards, available in black or white. I just use the one point of attachment bracket, so simple. I’ve also attached DRL and flowing indicators on them.

Rick

I know you asked about decent ones, but many NC owners have fitted the cheap ones found on e-bay, black with reflective strips on for about £14 or less. They fit with original bar end weights and are good for weather protection, but if you want something for off-road then these are not re-enforced. I have these on my 2017 bike and they work fine.

• Like 3

Taipan

Another endorsement for the cheap ones. Hard to believe they weren't specifically made for the NCX! I peeled the orange strip off as I wasn't keen on that, but that's just personal choice.

IMP

I have bought a set of Acerbis Road handguards. They are new, but came with a good discount as the original fitting instructions are missing.

I have taken off the bar end weights, but cannot see how to get out the threaded insert that the end weights screw into. Obviously, I cannot push in the Acerbis locking and threaded bolt system, until I can get the original inserts out!  Any suggestions gratefully received!

MikeBike
26 minutes ago, IMP said:

I have bought a set of Acerbis Road handguards. They are new, but came with a good discount as the original fitting instructions are missing.

I have taken off the bar end weights, but cannot see how to get out the threaded insert that the end weights screw into. Obviously, I cannot push in the Acerbis locking and threaded bolt system, until I can get the original inserts out!  Any suggestions gratefully received!

There is a spring clip with a couple of tabs on it that locate in holes in the handle bar. Insert a small screwdriver or two behind these tabs and lever the spring ring out. You can then use the bar end screw to attach to the inserts and pull them out gently. They have rubber rings on them to keep it tight in the bar. One of them (the outside one) is split on purpose, so don't bother buying a new one to find that is split as well (like I did).

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

IMP

Thanks, Mike

Will try again, tomorrow.

Ian

DaveStewart

Any chance of a link or cat number for the cheapos please folks?

Broon

I had a set from Aliexpress which cost about £25 and actually looked very good except for 3 issues :

1) There was very little clearance between end of brake lever and the guard ... mine is a DCT so cannot comment on clutch lever but assume it would be similar issue.

2) The mounting brackets were alloy and the bracket which connected to the mirror mount on the throttle side fractured after a couple of months. Not repairable.

3) They vibrated a bit which is probably what caused the stress fracture in the alloy mounting bracket.

Ended up replacing with a set of Givi HP1111 which I'm very pleased with. The mounting  brackets on the Givi are made of steel.

Givi were obviously 3 times the price but with hindsight I whish I had gone for the Givis in the first instance.

Screenshot_20210503-211638_AliExpress.jpg

Edited by Broon
Included image

IMP
23 hours ago, IMP said:

Thanks, Mike

Will try again, tomorrow.

Ian

Tried once again, but the job is not helped by the fact that Oxford heated grip are fitted - so I cannot roll back the end of the handlebar rubber.

Gave up and booked it into Bransons in Yeovil. They said that it is a 30 - 40 minute job, with the right equipment! However, I will have to wait for a month, as the are fully booked.

Broon

With the Givi guards you only have to remove the bar end weights and put them back on with a longer bolt...no requirement to remove the section inside the handlebar. Pretty quick and simple job.

MikeBike
2 hours ago, IMP said:

Tried once again, but the job is not helped by the fact that Oxford heated grip are fitted - so I cannot roll back the end of the handlebar rubber.

Gave up and booked it into Bransons in Yeovil. They said that it is a 30 - 40 minute job, with the right equipment! However, I will have to wait for a month, as the are fully booked.

I too have the Oxford heated grips. You don't need to touch them. The clip tabs to be released is inside the 22mm steel tube of the bars themselves. Shine a torch up there to see the tabs.

Have a look at https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5840741/nc750x-abs-dual-clutch/handle-pipetop-bridge

You have removed items 12 and 25. The snap ring made of spring steel is item 15. When you find the two tabs inside the bars themselves lever them inwards and towards the outer end of the bar to disengage the two little keys that engage in holes inside the bar.

Once you find the tabs you'll have the assembly in the bar removed in a moment. I could remove in under 5 mins. The 'right equipment' the dealer talks of is a small screwdriver like an electrical one.

Actually getting them back in was more of a faff. Maybe that bit took 30-40 mins as you have to squeeze the ring and push it in while keeping in straight and in the right orientation to engage with the holes which are at 3 and 9 oclock (or 90 and 270 degrees to the vertical if you prefer). But maybe your gurards make this bit easier.

I've just googled and found this

If yours are similar I'd be (very) tempted to just leave the Honda OEM insert in the bars and use the Honda Screw to mount rather than using the guards insert. I believe the weight of the insert and bar end weight is important so leaving the OEM bits there is probably preferable to using the 'universal' expanding insert. That's what I did with my Polisport handguards. I have all the OEM bits, just with the end of the handguards held between the screw and bar end weight.

By the way for others don't bother with the Polisport handguards for wind protection they are so small that I was sceptical and fitted one side and test rode the bike - I couldn't detect any less cold on the 'protected' side.. Just left them on for stone protection as I had bought them.

Give it a go leaving the Honda inserts in place... or have another go at removing... Shame you are not closer I'd pop round to help.

IMP

Thanks for this, Mike

I will give it another go - following your very helpful information.

Cheers

Ian