Jump to content
deecat

Knee pads moving

Recommended Posts

deecat

Has anyone found a way of keeping knee pads in place?

 

I have just tried out a new pair of cargo pants to see if they are any better at keeping the knee pads in place, than my jeans are and after about 30 miles the pad works it way off my knee towards the tank

 

I sometimes use Knox knee pads that do stay in place as they strap around your leg but after about 3 hours of riding they start to get uncomfortable,so I would like to see if there is a way of stopping the pads from moving off my knee,or does it matter.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM

Silly question, but are you using biker trousers? As in the ones with the pockets for the knee armour? Only time mine moves is if ‘I have forgotten to use the Velcro closings...happened once, half way up motorway realised knee pad was a shin pad so had to pull over to sort it out 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
57 minutes ago, deecat said:

Has anyone found a way of keeping knee pads in place?

 

I have just tried out a new pair of cargo pants to see if they are any better at keeping the knee pads in place, than my jeans are and after about 30 miles the pad works it way off my knee towards the tank

 

I sometimes use Knox knee pads that do stay in place as they strap around your leg but after about 3 hours of riding they start to get uncomfortable,so I would like to see if there is a way of stopping the pads from moving off my knee,or does it matter.

It’s a do it yourself needle and thread job to alter the pocket I’m afraid, or some new pads that fit the pockets better. And yes it matters when you come off and your knee hits the floor rather than the pad.

You could also use motocross knee pads that fit on your leg under your cargo pants and just take the pads out of the pockets altogether, like these from sports bike shop.

Knee armour

Share this post


Link to post
deecat
1 hour ago, PoppetM said:

Silly question, but are you using biker trousers? As in the ones with the pockets for the knee armour? Only time mine moves is if ‘I have forgotten to use the Velcro closings...happened once, half way up motorway realised knee pad was a shin pad so had to pull over to sort it out 🤣

Yes they are John Doe cargo pants, that come with there own knee pads.

I do not seem to have any problems with the height, which is adjustable it is that they work there way to the inside of my knee,or the whole leg moves.

1 hour ago, slowboy said:

It’s a do it yourself needle and thread job to alter the pocket I’m afraid, or some new pads that fit the pockets better. And yes it matters when you come off and your knee hits the floor rather than the pad.

You could also use motocross knee pads that fit on your leg under your cargo pants and just take the pads out of the pockets altogether, like these from sports bike shop.

Knee armour

The pads do fit tight in the pocket and I do also have the Knox pads that you slip your leg through, then run the strap around,but they get uncomfortable after about 3 hours of riding.

I suppose I could look at trying to sew the pocket to the leg material.

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad

I had a pair of Oxford jeans and when off the bike the knee pads were perfectly positioned. As soon as I sat on the bike they ended up on the inside of my knee, the total opposite of where they should be. The main problem was that whenever I bent my leg at the knee the jeans twisted and the outside seam ended up near the centre of my kneecap moving the pads to the inside. I took a photo of me sat on the bike and sent it to Oxford who responded by issuing me a complete refund and an assurance they would investigate. 

 

I posted on a couple of forums and it turned out that many people have the same problem with all sorts of different manufacturers. 

 

My current riding jeans are RST and the knee pads stay exactly where needed as do the pads in my Dainese summer trousers and my ARMR Moto cargo trousers.

Share this post


Link to post
Wedgepilot

Can't say I've ever had this problem. My cheapy Texspeed textile trousers have knee pads in a mesh pocket, they are a little low off the bike, but spot on with my knee bent. They can't move left or right because of the pocket and the way they wrap around my knee. 

 

It sounds like a design flaw to be honest if the pads end up on the inside of your knee. 

Share this post


Link to post
deecat

It tends to be more on my left leg, that it happens.

I do know that I tend not to hug the tank with my legs, so that I do not rub the paintwork which might be causing me issues .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
41 minutes ago, Wedgepilot said:

Can't say I've ever had this problem. My cheapy Texspeed textile trousers have knee pads in a mesh pocket, they are a little low off the bike, but spot on with my knee bent. They can't move left or right because of the pocket and the way they wrap around my knee. 

 

It sounds like a design flaw to be honest if the pads end up on the inside of your knee. 

 

My ARMR trousers weren't expensive and they are fine and it's not always the cheap stuff that has the issue. My Oxford jeans cost the same as my RST Jeans and were rubbish while the RST ones are good

Share this post


Link to post
Jamesco

I have some MRT cargo trousers and they have large knee pads in pockets on the outside. Sounds odd but works pretty well for me. Trousers I've had with knee pads inside mesh liner never seemed to sit right

 

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky

Unless you are wearing a full leather racing suit, why do you need kneepads at all? Are you planning to dismount at speed? I doubt it. Will kneepads (or even carbon jeans) protect you if you have an off? Unlikely as the telegraph pole, the milestone, the car going the other way etc. do not get frightened by knee pads, and rarely by crash helmets either.

Kneepads are useful when on a trackday and you want to get your knee down just to show how stupid you are, but a leather suit will protect your skin a lot better. if you make an unplanned ejection. The sub £200 leather suits from the bay area are great value and a lot tougher than most 1980s leathers, buy one of those if you want to trackday, knee sliders, elbow sliders, back protector, thigh protection even shoulder sliders and back hump is included.                           

Share this post


Link to post
deecat

I think that I have sorted my problem out by using some older Forcefield knee pads, which are shaped rather than being flat., but they are a bit of a squeeze to get into the pocket.

 

These cup my knees when sat on the bike but stick out more than the flat ones when off it, but I can live with that.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
lipsee

I too use Knox knee pads (Flex – Lite Knee Guard)over my pants,,I take out the stock armour that came with the pants and always use these.. also they keep my nobble y knees warm..

Share this post


Link to post
lipsee
On 4/1/2021 at 17:16, Hickky said:

Unless you are wearing a full leather racing suit, why do you need kneepads at all? Are you planning to dismount at speed? I doubt it. Will kneepads (or even carbon jeans) protect you if you have an off? Unlikely as the telegraph pole, the milestone, the car going the other way etc. do not get frightened by knee pads, and rarely by crash helmets either.

Kneepads are useful when on a trackday and you want to get your knee down just to show how stupid you are, but a leather suit will protect your skin a lot better. if you make an unplanned ejection. The sub £200 leather suits from the bay area are great value and a lot tougher than most 1980s leathers, buy one of those if you want to trackday, knee sliders, elbow sliders, back protector, thigh protection even shoulder sliders and back hump is included.                           

I think knees are very important ,and intend to look after mine...in an off situation knees are very vulnerable,, and no sir I cannot bare the thought of a cracked kneecap..  As I have  got older I,v become more afraid of injuries   ,so £40/50 does not seem a big price to pay for abit of insurance..Trackdays  ! do,nt do,em     Do,nt understand your point about helmets  ,,, I started riding just after helmet enforcment was bought in ,, and in principle I,m not actually in favour ,,I would always wear one...

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
2 hours ago, lipsee said:

I think knees are very important ,and intend to look after mine...in an off situation knees are very vulnerable,, and no sir I cannot bare the thought of a cracked kneecap..  As I have  got older I,v become more afraid of injuries   ,so £40/50 does not seem a big price to pay for abit of insurance..Trackdays  ! do,nt do,em     Do,nt understand your point about helmets  ,,, I started riding just after helmet enforcment was bought in ,, and in principle I,m not actually in favour ,,I would always wear one...

I started riding well before helmets became compulsory but still always wore one.

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken
5 hours ago, lipsee said:

I think knees are very important ,and intend to look after mine...in an off situation knees are very vulnerable,, and no sir I cannot bare the thought of a cracked kneecap..  As I have  got older I,v become more afraid of injuries   ,so £40/50 does not seem a big price to pay for abit of insurance..Trackdays  ! do,nt do,em     Do,nt understand your point about helmets  ,,, I started riding just after helmet enforcment was bought in ,, and in principle I,m not actually in favour ,,I would always wear one...

I agree about knees. I didn't expect to be grateful ofr knee pads when I tripped up and went full length. I only thought f it later when I realised my knees hadn't suffered!

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken
2 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

I started riding well before helmets became compulsory but still always wore one.

Snap! Dad made it clear that I was to wear a helmet (An Everoak Corker!). Things have moved on since those days and I am glad I never tried it out in anger.  The crash protection was a thin cork partial lining with a draw cord attached to webbing to adjust for different head sizes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

The military did a study actually during the war, looked at deaths and injuries amongst their DR's. The conclusion was that the civilian helmets some had were much better than caps and steel helmets. They then actually changed the DR uniform to the rimless helmet, flasher mac and gauntlets that I'm sure Ken probably saw during his service much later. The corkers may seem quaint now, but the protection was proven to be real. The study is the basis for pretty much all helmet legislation worldwide, it disproved all the theories about the weight snapping your neck etc. the anti-helmet people came up with. 

 

Andy

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Andy m said:

The military did a study actually during the war, looked at deaths and injuries amongst their DR's. The conclusion was that the civilian helmets some had were much better than caps and steel helmets. They then actually changed the DR uniform to the rimless helmet, flasher mac and gauntlets that I'm sure Ken probably saw during his service much later. The corkers may seem quaint now, but the protection was proven to be real. The study is the basis for pretty much all helmet legislation worldwide, it disproved all the theories about the weight snapping your neck etc. the anti-helmet people came up with. 

 

Andy

When testing a Tiger Cub for the Army around the coast line that was what I had to wear, plus riding britches and DR Boots,:dielaugh: but I was allowed to wear my own helmet

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
7 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

Snap! Dad made it clear that I was to wear a helmet 

Exactly how it was me in fact they bought me my first helmet a top of the range Everoak Racemaster (£4/19/11) as the present for my 16th birthday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky

There is no way I would ride without a crash helmet on my head. The point I was attempting to make is motorcyclists have always been suckers for additional stuff, nowadays safety is a huge marketing thrust, but how much additional safety are you buying?

We are sold £150 boots that protect your ankles and lower leg. We spend £150 on Kevlar jeans with pockets for knee protectors (you must also get the right type of knee protectors, is class 2 any good?) Knee sliders for when you want to get your knee down as well. Gloves must naturally have some fingers strapped together as well as hard knuckle protection, shall we have that in carbon fibre sir? That will be £130!

Your air jacket..... A lanyard type or one driven by a computer programme, your choice, £300, £500?

 Protection for your neck and collarbone, just a further £120. A rip stop nylon jacket, with moisture wicking and elbow and back protection? £500

 Then there are crash helmets, the motorcycling safety equipment with more lies and misleading information written about than any other piece of equipment. What are the two most important features of a crash helmet that result in a sale? Yup, you are right, the brand and the colourway, not the safety rating and the fit. (Although people on this forum may be slightly less fickle than most.) A racers copy, that's a further £150!

So you go out wearing £1500s worth of safety gear, moaning about the cost of a new rear tyre. Because you are wearing all the kit, you are in your little cocoon and think nothing will hurt you.  

Most so called safety gear is next to useless on the roads, It is really taking the design features from track safety equipment, where a one piece leather suit with back protector, knee pads and sliders, air bags and a helmet that has a minimum safety rating are the rule. On a track there are run off areas, banks and signs that are made of polystyrene so the safety clothing equipment can have time to work during a crash. This is not the case on the road.

So, do you go out with £1500 worth of kit on, or just ride in jeans, high cut workboots, leather jacket £20 gloves and cheapish lid that fits you? Your choice, but remember if you crash on the roads doing over 40mph, it doesn't matter much what you are wearing. Knee protectors wont save your knees, kevlar jeans wont prevent broken legs or gravel rash, airbags wont protect you from a Ford Transit, back protectors only work when you are sliding on your back and your jacket hasn't twisted sideways, if you hit a tree, they are next to useless. When will a £500 helmet save you from becoming a paraplegic where a £100 one wont? 

So, by all means buy whatever kit you want, it's your (or Mastercard's) money, but you would be better off spending a fraction of that money on good training on how to avoid a crash in the first place and a full  one piece leather suit,£200 from the bay, £20 gloves, leather boots that cover your ankles and £50 helmet that fits is as good as it gets! Anything more is just fashion!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
pjm

I am guessing that the knee pass in the cargo pants are designed to provide comfort for tradesman when kneeling down, not for sitting up on a bike. Why is it that the knees seem to have become far more sensitive the older I get? 

Share this post


Link to post
Jamesco

I remember when I started work first (proper) job climbing around scaffolding on rigs, wondering why everyone had knee pads...I soon found out. Whatever that bone is called just below knee cap pressing into scaff boards/bolts

 

Wife sister recently got me some knee pads for working on bike etc, wish I had those years ago

 

@Hickky when I add up my safety gear it is worth more than my bike 😆 (mind you that is not much of a benchmark)

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
8 hours ago, Hickky said:

There is no way I would ride without a crash helmet on my head. The point I was attempting to make is motorcyclists have always been suckers for additional stuff, nowadays safety is a huge marketing thrust, but how much additional safety are you buying?

We are sold £150 boots that protect your ankles and lower leg. We spend £150 on Kevlar jeans with pockets for knee protectors (you must also get the right type of knee protectors, is class 2 any good?) Knee sliders for when you want to get your knee down as well. Gloves must naturally have some fingers strapped together as well as hard knuckle protection, shall we have that in carbon fibre sir? That will be £130!

Your air jacket..... A lanyard type or one driven by a computer programme, your choice, £300, £500?

 Protection for your neck and collarbone, just a further £120. A rip stop nylon jacket, with moisture wicking and elbow and back protection? £500

 Then there are crash helmets, the motorcycling safety equipment with more lies and misleading information written about than any other piece of equipment. What are the two most important features of a crash helmet that result in a sale? Yup, you are right, the brand and the colourway, not the safety rating and the fit. (Although people on this forum may be slightly less fickle than most.) A racers copy, that's a further £150!

So you go out wearing £1500s worth of safety gear, moaning about the cost of a new rear tyre. Because you are wearing all the kit, you are in your little cocoon and think nothing will hurt you.  

Most so called safety gear is next to useless on the roads, It is really taking the design features from track safety equipment, where a one piece leather suit with back protector, knee pads and sliders, air bags and a helmet that has a minimum safety rating are the rule. On a track there are run off areas, banks and signs that are made of polystyrene so the safety clothing equipment can have time to work during a crash. This is not the case on the road.

So, do you go out with £1500 worth of kit on, or just ride in jeans, high cut workboots, leather jacket £20 gloves and cheapish lid that fits you? Your choice, but remember if you crash on the roads doing over 40mph, it doesn't matter much what you are wearing. Knee protectors wont save your knees, kevlar jeans wont prevent broken legs or gravel rash, airbags wont protect you from a Ford Transit, back protectors only work when you are sliding on your back and your jacket hasn't twisted sideways, if you hit a tree, they are next to useless. When will a £500 helmet save you from becoming a paraplegic where a £100 one wont? 

So, by all means buy whatever kit you want, it's your (or Mastercard's) money, but you would be better off spending a fraction of that money on good training on how to avoid a crash in the first place and a full  one piece leather suit,£200 from the bay, £20 gloves, leather boots that cover your ankles and £50 helmet that fits is as good as it gets! Anything more is just fashion!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

According to my surgeon if I hadn’t been wearing proper motorcycle boots the chances are that I would have lost my right foot so I consider every penny that  spent on those boots money extremely well spent.

In my opinion all the training in the world would not have prevented my accident even the driver admitted that t was entirely his fault. Don’t get me wrong me wrong I think that training is a very good thing but it won’t always protect you from the mistakes of others.

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken

As Rocker says. One other thought is that leathers are, in my opinion, not comfortable, let rain in (so you need some waterproofs, and  hate stopping to struggle into them); and they become uncomfortable on a hot day. Good fabric gear is far more flexible in all ways!

 

Oh did I tell you how my Hellite Turtle tethered air jacket saved my back when I fell off?

 

Never-the-less you have made many good points 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66

My favourite combination BMW&Steib  ( sorry wrong sort of combination) of clothing when touring was a textile jacket with leather jeans and carry a lightweight pair of leggings waterproof and reasonable protection.

When it comes to helmets yes I like Arai and Shoei for their comfort and yes I pay extra for a colour scheme that I like . I know that it doesn’t add to the efficiency of the helmet but I consider it the same some people buying fancy phones or watches because that’s what they want rather than need and it gives them pleasure to own it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×