bazza

battery drain warning beeper.

Empty_Ten
59 minutes ago, davebike said:

Why on earth pay £60  for what the Honda loom and relay dose fro £30 !!

The Thunderbox is way easier for an amateur.  No need to take off various panels etc.  Also gives you scope to have 4x accessories

12 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

That's what I have and easy solution. Bought some matching plugs for connection. Could also use the switched supplies with further cheap relay if need more switched power. Am curious why a £60 solution is needed too which then also needs a swiched wire tapping somewhere.

It doesn't need to be tapped into a switched live. 

It has 3 types of running modes,

-  switched live (where you do have to tap into a switched live) where accessories come on once the key is turned.

- Automatic, power to accessories come on once the bike is started/running, power cut off after bike is switched off

- disabled (self explanatory)

• Like 2

Empty_Ten
Posted (edited)

I've got the Healtech Thunderbox, brilliant bit of kit and would not hesitate getting it for future bikes. 

I am not mechanically or electronically competent and have never installed electronic accessories to any of my bikes.  Having watched a Youtube demo vid of it, it gave me the confidence to install my own spotlights.

this being the video 

It's so easy.  The Thunderbox comes with a set of wires with eyelet connectors which hook directly onto the battery.  It then  separately has 2 connector blocks sticking out of it, each block represents Positive and Negative.

You hook your electronic accessories upto the connector blocks.  No connectors needed, you just strip some of the insulation away from the accessory wiring and then crimp the bare wire down (like old stereo/hifi speakers).

It has several running modes.  I've got mine set up on automatic, so that power to the accessories only come on when the bike has been started and is at normal running conditions - the accessories come on within 5-7 seconds of the bike being started.  Likewise, the accessories turn off 5-7 seconds after you turn the bike off. 

^^^ I don't think a lot of people realise this and assume you still have to tap into a switched live

You can set it up to be switched live so that the accessories come on as soon as you turn the key to the on position, however, you do have to tap into a switched live.  I'm happy enough with the automatic mode.

I've got my spotlights hooked up on it, I didn't even bother with a on/off switch as I want the lights on whenever I ride.  £60 is a bargain to me for something which is plug and play.  No volt metres, soldering connectors, wiring diagrams or faffing around with removing fairings/panels.  The most taxing job was the soldering when extending my spotlight wiring.

It is also oximiser friendly, at least with my optimate.  I was concerned that if I plugged my optimate in, that the accessories would come on.  The wizardry inside the box knows the difference between being plugged into the optimiser and the bike running.

Edited by Empty_Ten
  • Like 1

bahnstormer
1 hour ago, davebike said:

Perhaps because the Honda loom and relay doesn't fit the VFR, which is what Bazza has.

fred_jb
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, davebike said:

Barry has a Crosstourer.  I'm not sure if that has the same accessories wiring socket and fuse arrangement as the NC. 

The Honda wiring on the NC accessory loom is pretty thin and its fuse limits total current for everything attached to it to 7.5 Amps. That may not be enough depending on what you are trying to power.

The other point to be aware of is that the 12V socket which Honda supply to fit in the frunk runs off the accessory wiring loom, and even worse is individually fused to 1 Amp IIRC, as people have found when it blows trying to power a tyre pump!

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1

MikeBike
20 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

The other point to be aware of is that the 12V socket which Honda supply to fit in the frunk runs off the accessory wiring loom, and even worse is individually fused to 1 Amp IIRC, as people have found when it blows trying to power a tyre pump!

The 1A fuse was only on the harness for pre-2016 bikes.

fred_jb
4 hours ago, MikeBike said:

The 1A fuse was only on the harness for pre-2016 bikes.

Sounds like it was a good move to remove that, though I still wouldn't want to run any high current devices off the accessory loom given the thin wires and the 7.5 Amp fuse.

MikeBike
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Sounds like it was a good move to remove that, though I still wouldn't want to run any high current devices off the accessory loom given the thin wires and the 7.5 Amp fuse.

I agree Fred, that's why I also wired a direct 12V 15A socket onto the battery and mounted on the crash bars, for my tyre air pump which has a 10A starting current. If a switched supply is needed I'd still rather use the official accessory to provide the switched live feed to trigger a relay than cut into/  tap into my bikes wiring.

But I see the suggested product is more than a relay and doesnt nee that trigger so I can see it's ease and usefulness. Geetting the panels off was a right faff and like you moved the loom so the business end of the harness was somewhere more accessible so I could plug/unplug just be removing one easy panel. (in my case in the upper right fairing)

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 2

Defender
7 hours ago, fred_jb said:

The Honda wiring on the NC accessory loom is pretty thin and its fuse limits total current for everything attached to it to 7.5 Amps. That may not be enough depending on what you are trying to power?

It must be for his hair dryer:hairy:?

bazza
On 06/04/2021 at 19:00, sandalfarm said:

Don't use scotch locks or you will have  problems 

Does that apply to anything Scotch? i have to admit i prefer armagnac but as they dont want our fish I have had to change my drinking!

Beerbelly

Those Thunderboxes look good, haven't come across those before. I went for an Eastern Beaver kit that plugs into the harness down by the left side of the frunk, that activates its own relay which is hooked up to the battery. Works very well and is easy to tuck away to hide the wiring, but it's a bit on the pricey side. 

jeremyr62

I use a Thunderbox to run heated grips on a bike. Works great.