Cracks in fork seal: how serious?

Scootabout

Scootabout

The NC700X that my son bought from me has some small cracks in the right hand fork seal dust cover. There is no sign of oil leaking, and the cracks are pretty narrow - little more than hairline. Oddly, there are none at all on the other one. As he's on a tightish budget he'd rather not do anything to them if there isn't a safety issue.

Is there any need to replace this dust seal for the time being?

Edited by Scootabout

If it is just the dust seal then it is not serious. Keep an eye on it, they do Serve a purpose but no need for Immediate fix.

• Like 3
Defender
30 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

The NC700X that my son bought from me has some small cracks in the right hand fork seal dust cover. There is no sign of oil leaking, and the cracks are pretty narrow - little more than hairline. Oddly, there are none at all on the other one. As he's on a tightish budget he'd rather not do anything to them if there isn't a safety issue.

Is there any need to replace this dust seal for the time being?

They all do that, mine have been like it for several years without leaking any oil, they'll get done when the forks come apart for a service and oil change etc, I think it's just a bit of aging etc.

• Like 2

It’s a dust seal and dirt scraper, as the fork compresses the scraper ‘cleans’ the stanchion prior to the seal running over it. It’s important function is to prolong the life of the seal itself but as long as it remains a tight(ish) fit around the stanchion it’s going to work exactly as intended. Most cracking on these is around the wider part where it flares out to cover the slider and is purely cosmetic. As Ivon says, change  it next time the forks are off the bike for maintenance. 

Edited by Tex
  • Like 2
davebike

There must be something changed  I hardly ever had to change dust seals but last year or so done more than the previous 40!

Got a set for a CB500f sat on my desk waiting for the customer

Edited by davebike
  • Like 2
58 minutes ago, davebike said:

There must be something changed  I hardly ever had to change dust seals but last year or so done more than the previous 40!

Got a set for a CB500f sat on my desk waiting for the customer

Dave I don’t know, but I heavily ‘suspect’, that it’s linked to the ever tightening requirements for vehicles to be able to be re-cycled at end of life. It’s more obvious in cars where dash boards, door trims and many other parts have been changed to a different sort of plastic material that’s more easily recycled. As consumers we’re frequently blissfully unaware of the tightening regulations that are creeping in.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

Three factors at play:

1. They keep banning processes that are simple and effective because sulphur, lead etc. escape and kill the fishes. They want us to recycle and use recycled material.

2. Take 1 gram of material out of every component and you find it a lot easier to pass your emissions tests.

3. The industry remains on it's unending quest for ever greater profits. One Cent per component less on cost really helps (so use chopped up tyre as fitter), but so do parts that you buy as spares within the life of the vehicle. A shorter vehicle life is even better because they remain stuck with Henry Ford type production techniques that don't dial down well when demand falls.

Andy 

• Like 1
Scootabout

Thanks, all. I've been able to give the lad a bit of reassurance as a result of this, that it's at least not an imminent threat to his wallet.