sams700

Shoei neotec 2 alternative comms

sams700
Posted (edited)

I should have got this the first time around. What do people thing of it and is there a way of sticking or clamping an external comms unit to it? 

I have one of those cheaper that auction site ones. 

Thanks 

Ps want the flip as I wear specs and makes life a lot easier 

Found the other thread, sigh, but it doesn't answer the comms issue

Edited by sams700

PoppetM

I think mine is an older Shoei Neotec, but I purchased the Freecom BT headset from the river site. Bought two sets of ear pieces and mounts and can move it between my helmets. I only use it to Bluetooth my iPod so it’s background music rather then calls or sat nav, but I love it. Had it for 4 years.

• Like 2

sams700

Thanks Sam, I have something similar but apparently it's not an easier fit on the neotec 2 and the shoei unit is £250!!

• Sad 1

kayz1

I used about 3 strips of double sided sticky tape at the bottom of mine to get it level.

Never moved and it comes off for charging

• Like 2

PoppetM
16 minutes ago, sams700 said:

Thanks Sam, I have something similar but apparently it's not an easier fit on the neotec 2 and the shoei unit is £250!!

If you mean the bracket - yes I had problems fitting it with my Nolan was too wide, so I  left the bracket on my Shoei (which it did just about fit) and put the adhesive mount like Lyn did, on my Nolan helmet.

• Like 1

sams700

I think I may have to glue the unit to the helmet rather than the plastic bit, as the latter is not flat enough. 

Anyway still seeing if I can afford the N2 it's pricy 

Defender

OK, so what about self adhesive 'velcro' if you can get some of the 'VHB' stuff, that should be fine, IIRC is the 'professional' stuff, don't be tempted to buy the cheapo versions they're OK for short term use but not much more than that. 

I had/have some 3M stuff somewhere about and has worked well when I used it, but I've not tried it on anything that is used outside in all weathers though?

• Like 1

sams700

Thanks will do so. Just wanted to know what the options are before I buy the helmet. Still waiting for a decent sale. 

The only fly in the ointment maybe that it maybe too far back because of where the fitting is for built in comms. 

GaryBee

I use a Cardo Scala Q1 on my Shoei and it works well. 

• Like 1

Empty_Ten

There will always be a way, it's just whether it's practical or not.

I had my eyes on the Neotec 2 or GT Air 2 for a helmet replacement (Original GT Air).  But I cannot find a good way for an intercom unit to be installed whereby the unit can be accessed/used easily.  I've seen a few posts on forums where users have mounted intercom's (normally a Cardo Packtalk) towards the rear, left hand side of the helmet .  But it's (imo) too far back to be able to use the intercom without causing too much distraction to the rider.

I use mine to listen to music and frequently skip tracks so I do press the buttons a lot.  

If you're inventive/don't mind an out of the box solution, then you can probably fashion some kind of mount.  One of the ideas I came across was to drill a hole into the Neotec 2's blanking plate for the intercom and screw an adhesive mount onto there (the plate itself isn't flush/flat or very big, therefore just sticking the adhesive mount onto that wouldn't work).

It's a shame, Shoei have hedged their bets on Customers buying their system.  For me personally, I don't rate Sena systems, so that's one thing which put me off, and the SRL2 itself is quite a low tech unit anyway (but charging premium prices).  So to that end, they've lost a customer in me for either of those model lines (in their current guise).

roddy

Sam, I would personally buy the intercom specifically designed for the neotec 2. £223 is a lot of money but I think going by the reviews and the riders I have talked to it seems worth it.

• Like 1

sams700

I think I am going to get a hjc or caberg, the price of admission is too high for the neotec