DCT issue today

Thosoneill

Thosoneill

Folks I apologise if this has been asked before however here is my issue today - set off this morning for a 200 mile run through Argyll and Bute - bike would not get out of first gear on three separate occasions - twice when engaging D mode from still and once slowing down to under ten miles per hour to exit a roundabout - in each occasion I stopped selected neutral then selected D mode and all was fine - this has never occurred before - I would add that new tyres were fitted to the bike last week - could the removal of the wheels to accommodate the tyre fitment have anything to do with this perhaps the abs sensor  - oil level is spot on and the battery is fine - any advice would be appreciated - the bike is a Honda nc700d integra 2013 model with under 7K on the odometer 

davebike

Do the dct reset 

if that goes OK   and there is no Fault lights  and it continues to play up I say there a good chance it is  the selector pin in the gearbox not an uncommon fault on 700's

• Like 1
Thosoneill
2 hours ago, davebike said:

Do the dct reset 

if that goes OK   and there is no Fault lights  and it continues to play up I say there a good chance it is  the selector pin in the gearbox not an uncommon fault on 700's

I’ll try the dct reset but I’m hoping it’s not the selector pin after only 7K miles of relatively easy riding 

MikeBike
50 minutes ago, Thosoneill said:

I’ll try the dct reset but I’m hoping it’s not the selector pin after only 7K miles of relatively easy riding 

They were a weakness though with the 700's and the design was later changed.

From my unscientific analysis and dodgy memory of posts I'd say most DCT problems reported are down to:

• electrical - general voltage/battery/connections etc
  • Sensor - ABS sensor (front wheel?)
  • DCT shift motor weakening - remove and test holding with 12V
  • Shift pin on early 700's.
  • Like 3
KingJames

I had that once upon a time.  I managed to create it via in gear and the wheel turning while on the centre stand. When I came off the stand it refused to change into second and beyond until an off and on again.  DCT reset as Dave said is cheap and easy, just follow the correct instructions for your bike year.  Different requirements of button pushes and I think now engine temp but pinch of salt on that.

kayz1

Enter VIN: at a Honda dealer to see if the Update has been done to the shift pin...

with those very Low miles it may have been missed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Thosoneill
On 22/04/2021 at 13:58, kayz1 said:

Enter VIN: at a Honda dealer to see if the Update has been done to the shift pin...

with those very Low miles it may have been missed.

Reply from mr honda -

Good Morning,

I have checked Hondas system and there are no outstanding recalls for your bike.

If Honda send you a letter to inform you about any issues then it would be added to the system  and would show up then.

Kind Regards

Tim Brett

Service Manager

Victor Devine & Co Ltd. 

Head Office & Showroom I 58/60 Hydepark Street I Finnieston I Glasgow I G3 8BW.

MikeBike
6 hours ago, Thosoneill said:

Reply from mr honda -

Good Morning,

I have checked Hondas system and there are no outstanding recalls for your bike.

If Honda send you a letter to inform you about any issues then it would be added to the system  and would show up then.

Kind Regards

Tim Brett

Service Manager

Victor Devine & Co Ltd. 

Head Office & Showroom I 58/60 Hydepark Street I Finnieston I Glasgow I G3 8BW.

For others you can check yourself online - enter your VIN at

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/recalls-and-updates.html

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

just been out on my S and the DCT starting flashing then would not move out of gear being stuck in 2nd. Would anyone have any ideas? I stopped the bike restarted and still stuck in 2nd. Thanks

MikeBike
51 minutes ago, roddy said:

just been out on my S and the DCT starting flashing then would not move out of gear being stuck in 2nd. Would anyone have any ideas? I stopped the bike restarted and still stuck in 2nd. Thanks

THere was a reply recently (last week?) to someone else whose DCT stuck i gear and I seem to remember that low battery when the bike left in Gear (not selecting N before switching off) might b ethe cause. Rocking it back and forth with ignition on I think helps get N selected IIRC. Maybe soneone who remembers better might confirm..