E5 to E10 - Concerns?

MatBin

PoppetM

I think it's less worrying then the change of leaded to Unleaded, I remember that causing some horror in our house (and some confusion at the petrol pumps). For those that are worried, put the Super Unleaded in. On a 10 litre tank it will be 30p more to fill up ?

Forgive me if that's outdated, I gave up looking at petrol prices a long time ago. If I need it, I need it - although obviously I get off the motorway if I do - I haven't lost all of my senses just yet :) 

• Like 7
ChrisCB

Take it out easy peasy 

• Like 3
Gringo

I notice he hasn't tested it in his classic vehicle though. Playing with petrol sounds like a whole heap of fun :hyper:

Andy m

CL350 floats and carb rebuild kits once a year would work out cheaper than throwing away half a gallon every tank full and then adding octane booster at a quid per tank. 

I guess if your tank melts its a different calculation. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
splke

switched to super unleaded a while ago in readyness as most of my engines are older but boy it is expensive 

not that noticeable on the bike with the small tanks but filled up the old convertible this week and payed my 50 quid 

nearly had a thrombie when i set of and it was just over half full :(

• Haha 1
Xactly
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

CL350 floats and carb rebuild kits once a year would work out cheaper than throwing away half a gallon every tank full and then adding octane booster at a quid per tank. 

I guess if your tank melts its a different calculation. 

Andy

A potential issue with a bike with carbs is the need to retune for E10 because it obviously won’t self-adjust like an EFI engine via the O2 sensor etc. Petrol has a stoichmetric AFR of about 14:1; ethanol is 9:1 or thereabouts. If the carb is set up for petrol and 10% ethanol fuel is used the mixture will be weak. Not an issue necessarily but I would retune then run on the same type of fuel. The other point is that the tank needs to be drained if the bike is laid up or little-used because water separates out from the ethanol and can rust out the tank. All well-documented in classic bike and car circles.

• Like 1
Tex
3 hours ago, splke said:

switched to super unleaded a while ago in readyness as most of my engines are older but boy it is expensive 

not that noticeable on the bike with the small tanks but filled up the old convertible this week and payed my 50 quid 

nearly had a thrombie when i set of and it was just over half full :(

Blimey! What convertible is that? I can fill my motor home for £90! 

• Haha 2
splke

old 3 series 28mpg :(

• Sad 1
skorpion

USA has had problems with E10 for years.

Jay Leno did a report / advertisement in 2014.

• 1 month later...
johnleye34
On 23/04/2021 at 09:31, Gringo said:

When does this E10 start entering the UK pumps or is it already here? The G5 is used semi regularly but the R100T hasn't been out for a couple of months. 

EDIT: Just re read the title topic....later in the year. Doh!

Some garages have it at there pumps already

Xactly
2 hours ago, johnleye34 said:

Some garages have it at there pumps already

I think it has to be done by September but it’s definitely already here at some filling stations eg Esso. Need to read the pumps.

MatBin

Topped up my half full tank today with E5 at a Tesco filling station, didn't notice any difference to performance or mpg on my NC.

Andy m

The theoretical difference is 1-2%. You'd need 50 tanks worth of commuting to spot it with statistical certainty. 

Andy