GreyBeardedTraveller

Can anyone recommend a good comfort seat please

GreyBeardedTraveller

Hi Everyone,

First time posting here. After doing a wonderful 150 round mile trip through Sussex the other weekend and back to West London I definitely need a few mods for my 2017 NC750x DCT.

So I'm going to invest in some Honda handguards (I have the Honda heated grips which I highly recommend) but I definitely need a comfort seat to replace the stock seat.

Does anyone have any good recommendations from experience - memory foam, gel seats..Shad model, ones made in Italy and Portugal on that auction site all look good, but I have no idea if they are and seem to go for about £200-£400+. I also don't know if they compromise any of the functionality that the stock seat has - particularly the back seat (which I hardly ever use) pop up to get to the petrol tank..

So any recommendations/advice would be very gratefully received.

Thank you!

MatBin
Posted (edited)

I have a 2017 dct X, I bought a second hand Shad off here, for some reason it didn't fit, it had come off a 2017 model and I sold it on to a member here with a 2017 model, it fitted, no idea why it didn't fit mine. I tried an air seat, I hated it. My next move would/will be to get my seat re-upholstered and re-padded later in the year when I am not using it, fair weather rider :)

Viking were recommended to me by Rocker and I understand a lot of custom builders use them to good effect, they are quite near Brands and I believe they do a while you wait system. Normally I can go about 2 hrs on my NC's seat before me 'arris goes numb.

And welcome to the Forum, I think you may have taken the last NC owners slot, someone will now have to sell theirs before anyone else can join, other bikes are available. :)

Edited by MatBin
  • Haha 3

GreyBeardedTraveller

Fantastic - thank you.

Using existing seat is a good idea..we have an upholsterer close by i might try them. I was considering Shad but may avoid now. I'll look into Viking, thanks! The other one I had heard of was Top Sellerie:

https://www.topsellerie.com/@EN-FR/seats-petrol-tank-covers-tank-bags-leg-handgrip-covers-motorbike-scooter.html

Jeffprince

My Shad was a good investment and is certainly more comfortable than the standard plank. Can choose not to replace the rear seat...I did, and it makes no difference to accessibility. The seat forward slope is still there, though, and some people have inserted spacers under the front section.

Horses for courses really, but the Shad works for me.

• Like 1

poldark
Posted (edited)

For me I'm now happy after a couple of changes from standard, which saved me the cost of a full replacement.

First some washers under the front mount to make the seat level, followed by a wooden beaded seat cover (Zento Deals from Amazon under £20, I paid under £10 a while back), worked for me for over two years.

Just in case you want to explore the budget option! 😎

Edited by poldark

Gringo

Welcome along Grey Beard..hope you enjoy the bike and forum. I've still got the bog standard bench on mine. 

GreyBeardedTraveller

Fantastic, thanks everyone..lots to consider and really appreciate the feedback..does anyone have a seat from Top Sellerie in France on the Forum?

• Like 1

Steel Horse UK
Posted (edited)

SHAD every time - worth every penny and the best modification I ever did to date! 

(I have no affiliation to the company .... )

Edited by Steel Horse UK

Defender
4 hours ago, GreyBeardedTraveller said:

Fantastic, thanks everyone.. lots to consider and really appreciate the feedback.. does anyone have a seat from Top Sellerie in France on the Forum?

Yes I have a Top Sellerie seat on my 2012 NC'X, I found out on the way home from picking up my NC'X from the dealer that it was not a comfortable as it looks, or should be!

I got my seat from another forum member and did a swap, he was returning his bike to standard as he was wanting to change it and selling the accessories off separately.

We swapped the seats over down in Gloucestershire, the ride home was far more comfortable than the ride down there, it's still not not most comfortable bike I've owned, but it's better than the stock offering.

I think some of the issue is, or at least was the sloping forward position, as mentioned above that can be quite easily remedied with some washers or buffers to raise the front, early seats also had some quite smooth and slippery material that exaugurated the forward slope, but I think that the seat material has since been changed.

For seat modifications, I had a Tony Archer modified seat on my 2011 'Street Triple, that was much better than the stock Triumph seat and probably better than the Triumph Gel seat too?

poldark
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Defender said:

For seat modifications, I had a Tony Archer modified seat on my 2011 'Street Triple, that was much better than the stock Triumph seat and probably better than the Triumph Gel seat too?

Cor that's spooky, I had a Tony Archer seat on my 2010 Street Triple, spot the orange piping to match!!! 5acb2c7c8bada_iomaug2011.jpg.8a92a5d08c0120b157dc52faa351d15b.jpg

Edited by poldark
  • Like 1

iaink
5 hours ago, Steel Horse UK said:

SHAD every time - worth every penny and the best modification I ever did to date! 

(I have no affiliation to the company .... )

+ 1

Xactly

I just use my homemade sheepskin cover. It solved the plankitis but I’m going to investigate raising the front. 

GreyBeardedTraveller

Thanks everyone. Well I took the plunge and invested in a Top Sellerie custom seat. I went for the model that has the high back on the pillion seat so larger area of comfort and a bit of back support for the driver apparently

Will let you know how I get on

• Like 2

Defender
On 29/04/2021 at 16:10, poldark said:

Cor that's spooky, I had a Tony Archer seat on my 2010 Street Triple, spot the orange piping to match!!! 5acb2c7c8bada_iomaug2011.jpg.8a92a5d08c0120b157dc52faa351d15b.jpg

Looks like you had an 'R' version, TBH I found the standard version to be well above and beyond my own riding ability and expectations, but I didn't have it long enough to to 'The Island', which to me has some of the best roads to ride?  

poldark
9 hours ago, Defender said:

Looks like you had an 'R' version, TBH I found the standard version to be well above and beyond my own riding ability and expectations, but I didn't have it long enough to to 'The Island', which to me has some of the best roads to ride?  

Yep, it was my treat after a major success, I'm sure the R like many of the similar RR(R) models today is bought for willy waving pub discussions.

I was lucky enough to visit the Island with four others (big van with five bikes in the bike), rented a cottage with a garage (next to a pub!!!) and pretended to know what I was doing playing around the circuit for a week.  It's hard when there's traffic coming the other way. 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvKRubB

• Haha 1

Mr Toad

A Shad seat transformed my NC, I can't recommend them highly enough. 

I was talking to a friend a couple of weeks ago who is currently test riding new bikes. He was complaining that most of them had adequate seat comfort at best. I jokingly said to him that rather than getting the seat fixed he should fix the rider and have gel arse implants fitted. 

I might be onto something.......   

• Haha 1

listener
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

I might be onto something.......   

The cheaper (and less painful) option is to stick packs of Jelly Babies in your hip pockets. :thumbsup:

• Haha 2