Jump to content
sams700

Harley riding position without being a Harley

Recommended Posts

sams700

I have a particular issue where the discs on the middle of back seem to be grating against each other. This causes a significant amount of pain and the only bikes I think that have worked are a Harley 48 and a KTM 390 Adv.

 

I have tried a Tracer 700, tenere t7, KTM 890 Adv, none worked wrt the back pain. 

 

I think its the way my back is, compared to my hips and ironically a sit up position seems to be better than a leaning forward position. I have no issues on my bicycle, where there is a lot of forward lean, but I suspect the pedalling motion keeps the weight off.

 

I have been doing core and shoulder strengthening all through lockdown, corrected my posture on the bike (bending at the hips) etc, all to no avail. I have also tried back supports etc, but they don't help much as the pain is no muscular.

 

So any other recommendations?

 

In my head, I want something with around 80-100bhp, light and fun to ride (I suspect that nothing other than a custom will fit the requirements, but I dont want a custom, full house tourer or something heavy)

 

thanks

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

Have you tried comparing angles on cycle ergo

 

Andy

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
sams700
Just now, Andy m said:

Have you tried comparing angles on cycle ergo

 

Andy

Yes and all I can see are custom bikes that may work.

 

No 390 Adv so I cant work out why that bike worked for me. I may have to try one again, as it was a revelation to ride without pain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
sandalfarm

Triumph bobber?

Share this post


Link to post
sams700

Thanks but not quite what I want. I don't think there is anything out there, but thought a shout to the collective may raise some left field solutions. I am going to try the MG85tt just in case that fits like the 390 adv or failing that, just keeping taking pain killers when I ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

Get something you like but include engine bars/highway pegs in the plan? Cruiser add on places sell pegs that clamp to any round bar, so as long as you can live with "chrome" (or paint them black) they can be fitted to any bar/tube.

 

When I used to have a 450 mile tank and 900 mile bladder I used to alternate between the pegs, hanging off the pillion pegs GP style and going cruiser style with calves on the highway pegs. A change is as good as a rest type thing.

 

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

I would have suggested a Vulcan 650 but it’s a bit short in the power department. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
MikeBike
3 hours ago, sams700 said:

So any other recommendations?

 

In my head, I want something with around 80-100bhp, light and fun to ride (I suspect that nothing other than a custom will fit the requirements, but I dont want a custom, full house tourer or something heavy)

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/street/cmx1100-rebel/specifications.html

It's classed as a custom but 223Kg so similar to the NC?

Don't know what else has Harley riding position.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Haggard Rider

I popped my L4-L5 disc in 2015. Prior to it going, I'd been seeing a physio who told me to 'open my back' when it got painful. Simply put, this meant doing an 'Eddie the Eagle' squat. It worked too. Now that was 'forward lean' and a half, but - and this is the point - the hips and legs were at an acute angle, a forward lean without the legs/hips contributing to the open back won't necessarily help.

 

I think, maybe, on your pedal bike, your knees are lifting up towards or above your hip line so, in effect, opening your back. And from what I remember of sitting on a Sportster, I think the knees were high in relation to the butt compared to other bikes.

 

Post 'pop', it took a while for the back to settle down to nearish normality but to this day I can neither bend backwards (or hang my legs off the bed) nor sit upright with legs in front of me without my back getting sore. My NC also gave me base-of-the-spine ache after 30 mins or so.

 

However, my CB1100RS, which both cants me forward and tucks up my legs more than the NC gives me no such issues. Plus my weight is on the thigh not right on the butt and that really helps.

 

It's not just the lean forward you need to be aware of, but also the angle of the hips/thighs.

 

I would suggest a cruiser is not the way to go? Too much weight right on the butt/back.

 

But no two back pains are the same, what works for me may not work for you, but something to consider.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy
57 minutes ago, Haggard Rider said:

I popped my L4-L5 disc in 2015. Prior to it going, I'd been seeing a physio who told me to 'open my back' when it got painful. Simply put, this meant doing an 'Eddie the Eagle' squat. It worked too. Now that was 'forward lean' and a half, but - and this is the point - the hips and legs were at an acute angle, a forward lean without the legs/hips contributing to the open back won't necessarily help.

 

I think, maybe, on your pedal bike, your knees are lifting up towards or above your hip line so, in effect, opening your back. And from what I remember of sitting on a Sportster, I think the knees were high in relation to the butt compared to other bikes.

 

Post 'pop', it took a while for the back to settle down to nearish normality but to this day I can neither bend backwards (or hang my legs off the bed) nor sit upright with legs in front of me without my back getting sore. My NC also gave me base-of-the-spine ache after 30 mins or so.

 

However, my CB1100RS, which both cants me forward and tucks up my legs more than the NC gives me no such issues. Plus my weight is on the thigh not right on the butt and that really helps.

 

It's not just the lean forward you need to be aware of, but also the angle of the hips/thighs.

 

I would suggest a cruiser is not the way to go? Too much weight right on the butt/back.

 

But no two back pains are the same, what works for me may not work for you, but something to consider.

 

 

I have a fair bit of my L4 disc in a jar post surgery as a memento. The NCX hurt my back. My scooter hurts my back after a while as I am sitting upright. My NC750S doesn't hurt my back as my legs are elevated with the forward lean opening my back. I cant sit in a chair or a car for too long these days, but the NC I can ride for long periods. Not that it gets out much these days. I do sailing which means hiking out and actually strengthens my back and core muscles.

 

I rode a Large Harley a chap at work let me haver a go on. The foot forward and upright seat position was a killer for my back.

 

All backs are different. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky
6 hours ago, sams700 said:

I have a particular issue where the discs on the middle of back seem to be grating against each other.

Let me assure you that discs cannot grate against each other as discs are between every vertibrae. Discs are a bit like a jam donut without the sugar. They hold each bone apart and allow the back to twist. The problem is as we age, the jam becomes less fluid and if excess pressure is placed on the disc it can deform or rupture, causing the jam to bulge out of the disc and, if you are unlucky, hit a nerve that run down the middle of the bone cavity. This is called a 'slipped disc', ask me how I know.

Anyway, young sams, go see a nurosurgeon ASAP before it gets worse and you have permanent sciatica, like myself. Do not see an Orthopedic Surgeon, they are butchers and use butchers kit of saws, chisels, hammers and knives.

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

That Pan European derived bagger that Honda made (ah just remembered, it's the CTX130) is apparently very underrated. Needs the "touring" screen but a very Harley-like riding position. 

Share this post


Link to post
sams700

thanks all. Physio booked for 24th of May, lets see what they say. I think it needs to be x-rayed but its going to be a long process but at least its started now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

That Pan European derived bagger that Honda made (ah just remembered, it's the CTX130) is apparently very underrated. Needs the "touring" screen but a very Harley-like riding position. 

I meant CTX1300 obv. Stupid autosmell 🙄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

I meant CTX1300 obv. Stupid autosmell 🙄


itz goad two sea yo bake Meister Blagg. Eye two halve tissues wiv auto smell. Eye fink eats tacking the peas.

😇

  • Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

Yo two Brain. Alsaws greet to here thee an sea yo're fizzog :ahappy:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
sams700
On 04/05/2021 at 20:44, Haggard Rider said:

I popped my L4-L5 disc in 2015. Prior to it going, I'd been seeing a physio who told me to 'open my back' when it got painful. Simply put, this meant doing an 'Eddie the Eagle' squat. It worked too. Now that was 'forward lean' and a half, but - and this is the point - the hips and legs were at an acute angle, a forward lean without the legs/hips contributing to the open back won't necessarily help.

 

I think, maybe, on your pedal bike, your knees are lifting up towards or above your hip line so, in effect, opening your back. And from what I remember of sitting on a Sportster, I think the knees were high in relation to the butt compared to other bikes.

 

Post 'pop', it took a while for the back to settle down to nearish normality but to this day I can neither bend backwards (or hang my legs off the bed) nor sit upright with legs in front of me without my back getting sore. My NC also gave me base-of-the-spine ache after 30 mins or so.

 

However, my CB1100RS, which both cants me forward and tucks up my legs more than the NC gives me no such issues. Plus my weight is on the thigh not right on the butt and that really helps.

 

It's not just the lean forward you need to be aware of, but also the angle of the hips/thighs.

 

I would suggest a cruiser is not the way to go? Too much weight right on the butt/back.

 

But no two back pains are the same, what works for me may not work for you, but something to consider.

 

 

Thanks for this. I know you are right, because I think the issue is with my hip and knee angles. The only bike which has worked is the 390 Adv. My next great hope is the Africa Twin. I tried a 890 adv and that was no good and anyway, it was not as much fun as the 790 Duke. This does pitch me more forward and I have tried bars - lower, higher and further away, closer etc and nothing seems to work. Its quite disappointing. Everytime I try something new, I think this could be it and it isn't. 

 

I do squats, core exercises etc to no avail.  I have been doing the fish pose as its the point in my back where the ache is.

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
On 5/6/2021 at 10:08, sams700 said:

Thanks for this. I know you are right, because I think the issue is with my hip and knee angles. The only bike which has worked is the 390 Adv. My next great hope is the Africa Twin. I tried a 890 adv and that was no good and anyway, it was not as much fun as the 790 Duke. This does pitch me more forward and I have tried bars - lower, higher and further away, closer etc and nothing seems to work. Its quite disappointing. Everytime I try something new, I think this could be it and it isn't. 

 

I do squats, core exercises etc to no avail.  I have been doing the fish pose as its the point in my back where the ache is.

 

Although I have no back or joint problems I can relate to your problem.

 

I bought my 2014 NC750X as a long distance bike to compliment my Bonneville T100, it could have been the perfect solution for me and for many people it is. However, after an initial 90 minutes in the saddle I started to get hip ache, stopping for a rest worked but the length of time before the pain returned got shorter and shorter. I don't have a hip problem but having them in that certain position for a prolonged time was uncomfortable. 

 

I considered all sorts of ways to fix the problem but it all came down to the geometry of the bike, it just wasn't right for me and would require more money to fix than the bike was worth. In the end I bought a bike I knew fitted me and was comfortable to ride all day and that was the BMW GS. 

 

I was really sad to see the NC go, it was so very nearly perfect. It was never a problem on short rides but it was never going to be a comfortable tourer. All you can do is buy the right bike, the one you can ride without discomfort. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky

Mason. It is cheaper for you to get your hips replaced, allowing you to bend more freely and then the angle to the handlebars will be your greatest concern. I know a set of bars will cost you more than a double hip replacement, but still under £50. Love the NHS!

Share this post


Link to post
pjm

I can say that even with a dodgy hip the Africa Twin was a very comfortable bike to ride. It was only the fact my left foot would no longer do as it was told and get off of the peg and onto the road, at a stop, that made me get rid of it. I am hoping that when my new hip gets itself sorted I will be able to choose a bike that I like rather than a bike I can fit on at a push. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Hickky said:

Mason. It is cheaper for you to get your hips replaced, allowing you to bend more freely and then the angle to the handlebars will be your greatest concern. I know a set of bars will cost you more than a double hip replacement, but still under £50. Love the NHS!

 

Paul, I can bend just fine and have no hip problems at all, the pain was muscular, like cramp and only ever occurred when sitting on the NC. 

Share this post


Link to post
pjm

That’s how my hip started to show itself. I would recommend googling the stretching exercises for hips and start doing them just in case. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky
8 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Paul, I can bend just fine and have no hip problems at all, the pain was muscular, like cramp and only ever occurred when sitting on the NC

Sorry mate, take heed of the metal hip brigade on this esteemed site and realise that your 'muscular' issue is actually a hip issue. You see muscles cant react to motorcycles and have a problem when on an NC because arthritis in your hip sends a message to the muscles for them to tell you 'ouch'. When your hips get into a position that the arthritic reaction is lower, probably because it is a different bike, then your muscles don't say 'sod this for a lark, I think I will cry pain'.

Because there are some bikes that give you pain (and lets face it the NC isn't a radical seating position) and some that don't, it's a sure sign that mild arthritis is hovering about, but it affects most of us once age 60 hits us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad

Ah, the joys of getting older. 

 

I'm off to the vet this morning to get my regular blood tests to make sure my autoimmune problem is still under control......

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×