Sign in to follow this  
GreyBeardedTraveller

recommendations for top box & pannier sets

GreyBeardedTraveller

Hi,

Can anyone recommend top box & pannier sets? Seems options are: Shad, Givi & Honda's own version..

Does anyone have any of these and would you recommend them? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks,

• Like 1

Ciaran1602

Ah, you enter an interesting world. I have had both SHAD and Givi on the two previous NCs. Each has pros and cons - the following is my opinion on what I've used.

SHAD: Top box and pannier racks themselves are significantly less intrusive. In fact, the pannier rack particularly looks almost like there's nothing there from a distance. They're very solidly constructed and the lock mechanism seemd a bit stronger on my SHADs. I had a SH39 top box with Honda branding and SH36 panniers. The panniers had a handy 'shelf' at the bottom that helped load them up. Main downside is they made the bike extraordinarily wide - certainly more so than the standard Honda kit and I believe the V series panniers from Givi. Also worth noting a lot of SHAD top boxes have a lower recommended weight limit than Givi. Givi on their monokey top boxes almost universally state a 10kg limit where SHAD only give that to the really big top box. Pictures below (bike has gone so not bothered by the reg plate).

33719277_10155838317022955_2551274787880042496_n

33662625_10155838319227955_3509131036954984448_n

Givi: Givi make a range of racks of different types. If yours is a post facelift 750 you want a 1146FZ top box rack + a plate, either an M5 or an M7 for a mononkey top box. Then you'll have to pick whether you want a straight side rack, a PL1146, for fitting E22 panniers or the TRK panniers; or a rack that curves inward at the bottom named PLX1146 which fits the V35 or newer V37 panniers. The racks are more visible and I think the top box sits a bit higher. I had a V40 top box and E22N panniers. Givi have more varied options and the mechanism was much quicker to take things on and off - plus the weight limits are better all round. The V series panniers sit closer to the frame too and so are less wide. However, IMO, the quality isn't as good. The top box reflector plate had a mould build up evidencing the water seal isn't fantastic and the E22 panniers were very thin and flimsy. I think the V series panniers are more solid.

50078657028_e00ff758fe_b.jpg

Of the two, I personally prefer the SHAD kit. If you're doing proper full dress touring you acknowledge your bike is going to be a bit of a heffalump and for commuting you simply take the panniers off and away you go. In both cases a middle of the road set turns out about £600 from Sports bike shop. (he says this but if the Givi set is cheaper when I come to buy for the '21 you bet I'll get Givi!)

Not had experience of the Honda kit - I believe the capacity of both top box and panniers is fairly small but the racks are the least intrusive of the three. Can get key barrels to match the ignition too. When I asked for a quote on parts and fitting from a dealer it was nearer to £1000.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SteveM

For me I use a givi top box and a big bag on the back. 

20180720_101526-600x450.jpg

On my first bike the aprilia mana I had givi panniers and top box but after travelling while filtering I didn't like it so never had them again. 

Aprilia%20Mana%20%2858%29-600x399.jpg

slowboy

I had the Givi kit on my 700x years ago, it was more capacious than the Honda stuff and way cheaper. It suited the bike better in my opinion as well. The Shad stuff was just a glint in a designers eye then. 

IMG-2821.jpg

• Like 2

Ciaran1602

The Givi stuff does look nicer, I think. The panniers seem to sit more in board than the SHADs do…