Tyre wear rate

blan

Hi, Everyone I know with a motorbike goes through more rear tyres than front tyres except me, on average I'm using 2 front tyres to every rear tyre. I've used bridgestone battlax, battlwing and Maxxis MA-ST2's and I always go through more fronts than rears. I'm always checking pressures are correct and I wouldn't say I brake that heavily, I mainly use my bike for commuting but on the occasion that myself and friends go out riding I do like cornering fast but not at silly angles (it's not a sports bike after all) I wouldn't say I do anything different to my mates in the way I ride but I still consume way more front tyre than rears. Does anyone else have a ware ratio like this or am I really doing something wrong?

Thanks for your input in advance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Case

• Broon

• Xactly

• Andy m

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mate just had his 17 plate NCX in for it's service at 17000 miles and the Honda dealer advised he needed new front AND rear disc and pads ... Dealer didn't seem to think that was unusually ...I cer

I would rather set fire to my bike than take it anywhere near a dealer. Most service jobs are easily doable with a socket set and some allen keys. The youtuber in New Zealand NC750stuff has good video

I’m sure there are. I just struggle to see how an oil and filter change at 600 miles racks up a £190 bill. What else is there to do at 600 miles ?   If the argument is checking all the nuts

Andy m

It's very odd for certain. Normally wear is between two rears per front and one to one. I'd get the string or laser pointer out and check the wheel alignment. How do the tyres wear? Squared off? Evenly down to the markers? How long are front brake pads lasting? 

Andy

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Hi, so how many miles are you getting from the front tyre? Seems a little odd, saying that on the original tyres the front wore out quicker but got them replaced under warranty and since then the  front lasts about for about one and half rear. Interested to see how long the front pads are lasting and perhaps a photo of the worn front tyre. Good luck. 

Edited by Grumpy old man

My mate just had his 17 plate NCX in for it's service at 17000 miles and the Honda dealer advised he needed new front AND rear disc and pads ... Dealer didn't seem to think that was unusually ...I certainly did wrt the discs needing replaced at 17k miles. He also had the valves checked and total bill was around £1100 ...Ouch. And the NC is supposed to be a cheap to run motorcycle ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
Xactly

Is it just your current bike you are talking about or all the bikes you’ve had? If it’s the former there must be something wrong with your bike; if the latter it’s more likely the way you ride.

• Like 1
embattle
5 hours ago, blan said:

Hi, Everyone I know with a motorbike goes through more rear tyres than front tyres except me, on average I'm using 2 front tyres to every rear tyre. I've used bridgestone battlax, battlwing and Maxxis MA-ST2's and I always go through more fronts than rears. I'm always checking pressures are correct and I wouldn't say I brake that heavily, I mainly use my bike for commuting but on the occasion that myself and friends go out riding I do like cornering fast but not at silly angles (it's not a sports bike after all) I wouldn't say I do anything different to my mates in the way I ride but I still consume way more front tyre than rears. Does anyone else have a ware ratio like this or am I really doing something wrong?

Thanks for your input in advance.

I'm about to change from my first Battlax T30 tyres that came with the Integra after 5100 miles. I'm getting both changed since they've worn at a similar rate to under 2mm in places and they've both gone a little square, also I'm trying a different brand so best to get both done. Personally I would expect more often than not to wear through rears at up to twice the rate of the front.

£1100 ?? I'd want them to throw in a full set of luggage and a Ducati Multistrada for that

• Like 2
Slowboy
15 hours ago, Broon said:

My mate just had his 17 plate NCX in for it's service at 17000 miles and the Honda dealer advised he needed new front AND rear disc and pads ... Dealer didn't seem to think that was unusually ...I certainly did wrt the discs needing replaced at 17k miles. He also had the valves checked and total bill was around £1100 ...Ouch. And the NC is supposed to be a cheap to run motorcycle ?

id whip my micrometer out of my pocket* and ask them for the old discs to check if they pulled that stunt on me. My discs and pads normally last  around 35 to 50 thousand miles. 

* I have done that and you should have seen the look on the guys face. Suddenly they measured them again and they were “just in spec” . They were more than “just in spec”.

:fear::zorro:

The valve check is a mornings work for me, mostly getting in and getting out, the screw and locknut adjusters are easy once the rad is out of the way. My CRF250 with shims was an all day job for me, and the space constraints for my hands were a challenge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
outrunner

I too would have asked to see the old discs as they are your property and yours to keep if you so desire. My NC750X has 58000 miles on the clock and both discs are are still OK, thickness was checked for the MOT at the end of March.

Andy.

• Like 3
listener

On tyres:

Every bike I've owned has generally seen 1 front tyre to every 1.5 - 2 rears.

So either there's something up with the front end of your bike or you need to ease back on the stoppies! :D

main-qimg-b2957534faea8f387d340b5d673d2f

On brake discs:

None of my bikes covered more than 31,000 miles.

The only time I had a disc replaced was after two low-life 64$74rd$ warped the disc while trying to crowbar my disc lock off. :angry:  

Rev Ken

The only time I've replaced discs is when they crack between holes. I think I replaced three, all on Hondas.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

They are taking the ****. Decline the flux capacitor adjustment and warp core realignment and ask for the old discs. If they are cracked it's a warranty claim. 

Andy

Trev
On 10/05/2021 at 16:28, Broon said:

Jeezuz, either he's super, super heavy on the brakes, he had worn the pads down the meal and damaged the discs or the dealer could smell an opportunity. Unless your mate can't tell when he's braking with metal on metal (he'll need to be pretty thick skinned not to) then I suspect the latter as only ever replaced discs on a handful of bikes, from memory all sports bikes and all 40+ miles.

...... and £1100, THAT IS TAKING THE P*SS

Where did he get it serviced?

MikeBike

I had a quote to change front and rear discs and pads after an MOT advisory on the pulsing on brake efficiency. It was £416.42 in 2018.

But the 16k service is a biggie. I'm guessing parts gone up a bit and different labour rates around the country So £500ish for the service and £500ish for the discs and pads.

Haven't changed them and the MOT's havent failed on it or seemed to have got worse. Maybe that was the reason?

That sounds about right on the breakdown we chatted about. A big name Honda dealer in Barnsley which starts with a P.  

He's really looks after the bike, ridden with him many times and not unusually hard on brakes and hadn't run down to the metal.

Will be interesting to see how the new pads and discs wear ... Expensive at £500 every 17 k on brakes !

Bike looks immaculate, bought with about 8k on the clock so he is the second owner.

Empty_Ten

17k for a set of discs seems outrageously low.  

I had mine changed on the MT at 54,000 miles.  They were probably a bit beyond when they should’ve been changed  (quite clearly concave of you ran fingers over them).

That bill does not surprise me at all from a main dealer.

I got charged £800 (well, £700 as they knocked 10% off the price because it was winter) for a valve clearance service on the MT From a main dealer, and that was back in 2019.  If he got new discs and pads, at OEM prices that will easily take it to £1100.  

Just the discs themselves are over £350 from Fowler’s.

At my 8k service, I asked my main dealer to fit new front brake pads (if needed) a Denali mini and a Kaoko throttle lock.  Including the service they charged me 3hrs labour.  The mechanic said himself the service itself would be an hour or so.  I dropped the bike off at 0915 and they wheeled it back out at 1140.  Including the little chat with the staff about what they’d done, condition of the bike etc, no chance that it was remotely close to 3hrs.  Should’ve said something at the time to be honest.  

I thought I’d stick to main dealer due to longer intervals between servicing and for the stamp in the service book and being a slightly different type of bike (DCT Opposed to manual).  I doubt I’ll go back to main dealer for any future servicing. I’ve got a number of independents that I use who seem to do a decent job.

sorry to the OP for taking it way off topic.  For what it’s worth, like others here, I tend to be the opposite and go through 2 rear tyres for every front

I would rather set fire to my bike than take it anywhere near a dealer. Most service jobs are easily doable with a socket set and some allen keys. The youtuber in New Zealand NC750stuff has good videos on all the sevicing jobs.

• Like 5

I recently took my Renault Kadjar to a main dealer for it's 1st (12 month) service with 7500 miles on the clock ... £100 all in.

Took my NCX for it's 600 mile service ... £190

It's sad that Motorcycle dealers seem to take the piss.

Next service due in June and it will have 3300 miles on clock ... Another £200 

Once out of warranty it won't be going back to main dealer.

Rocker66
54 minutes ago, Broon said:

I recently took my Renault Kadjar to a main dealer for it's 1st (12 month) service with 7500 miles on the clock ... £100 all in.

Not all motorcycle dealers take the piss there are some really good ones out there.

I’m sure there are. I just struggle to see how an oil and filter change at 600 miles racks up a £190 bill.

What else is there to do at 600 miles ?  

If the argument is checking all the nuts and bolts are tight then I personally think Mr Honda ought to be managing this in the manufacturing process and not charging the customer via a dealer to do there job.

As has been mentioned in other threads, with high servicing costs and high insurance on motorcycles for young riders it’s not surprising the bulk of the people enjoying motorcycling these days are 40 plus.

Maybe we need a section where we praise and recommend the dealers offering good service at reasonable prices.

• Like 4
ChrisCB
43 minutes ago, Broon said:

I’m sure there are. I just struggle to see how an oil and filter change at 600 miles racks up a £190 bill.

Surely the invoice is itemised! My dealer has a flat rate of £110 for 1st service a good portion of which is oil, it doesn't matter if DCT or manual however I always cost it into the deal when buying the bike.

MikeBike
49 minutes ago, Broon said:

At 600 it's just oil and filter (or filters if DCT)

Here's a thread on the subject...

poldark
10 hours ago, Broon said:

I made two smooth Warranty claims and at no point did Honda (UK) or the dealer doing the work (not supplying dealer) look at the service book.

May have been different if my claims were engine related and I can understand the comfort of dealer stamps in the book, but if you document (and photo) the items used and do DIY oil/filter changes you'll save £00s.

• Like 1
Slowboy
12 hours ago, RoyG said:

I would rather set fire to my bike than take it anywhere near a dealer. Most service jobs are easily doable with a socket set and some allen keys. The youtuber in New Zealand NC750stuff has good videos on all the sevicing jobs.

Absolutely agree. The last time my Super Cub saw a dealer was the day it was sent to me. I do all my own servicing with Honda parts as required. My service book is stamped by me with much own stamp and a set of receipts accompany the work if necessary. No one who has ever bought one of my bikes has ever complained about that nor has anyone ever declined to buy one or take one as a trade in on that basis.

Not all dealers are robbers, many are very good indeed, but when you find one that is a robber avoid them like the plague. If they would lie to you about that, how certain are you you can trust them at all?

Rant ends.......

• Like 2

So, 600 mile service costs itemised and including VAT at my local Honda dealer -

Sump Washer                           £0.91

Oil Filter                                     £13.26

DCT Filter                                 £10.37

3.6 litres of Oil                          £44.23

Labour (1.3 hours)                  £ 101.40

Consumables ?                        £10.00 (Not sure what these are at 600 miles)

Workshop disposal charges  £8.83

Total bill                                    £189.00

• Like 1