Checking Oil

Tatts

Following the advice in the handbook on how to check the oil level, it says for the bike to be upright,  do they mean on the side-stand or a centre-stand if you've fitted one?  If it has to be straight up and not at an angle and you've no centre-stand I guess it's a case of holding the bike upright for a couple of mins for the oil to settle.

Andy m

It doesn't know what it means because the sight glass is like trying to carry a biscuit tin lid of tea across an aircraft carrier deck in a hurricane! 😁

Just make your own process on the same bit of ground the same way each time. Personally I do it off the  stand, getting the right hand bar weight neither pulling up or pushing down in my hand. 

The oil wants to be in the middle of the glass 5 minutes after you switch off. The upper level is not better. 

Don't stress it, oil in the glass once a day is fine. 

Andy

Empty_Ten

There is a lot of debate out there if you’re bored enough to read it.

I’ve taken readings for my NC on both centre and side stand and found little/no difference.  If I use the side stand, I put a block of wood underneath the stand to make the bike more up right.  Same results for chain slack as well.  But as I’ve got a centre stand, I just use that

But, on my MT10, the manual says measure oil on side stand which I do follow to the letter.  Having measured the oil level on paddock stands, it showed a lower level than on the side stand.  Obviously this could lead to over filling.  And on the chain slack front, it had readings for whether it’s tightened on the side stand or for readings on a paddock stand (slightly looser on the paddock)

• Like 1
Empty_Ten
2 minutes ago, Andy m said:

It doesn't know what it means because the sight glass is like trying to carry a biscuit tin lid of tea across an aircraft carrier deck in a hurricane! 😁

Just make your own process on the same bit of ground the same way each time. Personally I do it off the  stand, getting the right hand bar weight neither pulling up or pushing down in my hand. 

The oil wants to be in the middle of the glass 5 minutes after you switch off. The upper level is not better. 

Don't stress it, oil in the glass once a day is fine. 

Andy

Except there is no sight glass on the NC :ermm:

• Haha 4
Andy m
Just now, Empty_Ten said:

Except there is no sight glass on the NC :ermm:

Same principle, shallow tray of liquid in various states of being heated and pumped with a lollipop stick screwed in between nothing and half an inch lower as proof their is some in there 😁. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Rocker66

I have a special device for holding the bike upright to check oil level and chain tension which I call Sue.😀😀

• Haha 2
shiggsy

Keep the bike upright by sitting on it whilst you do the oil level check.

Gringo

Alternatively, drain the oil into a clean measuring jug and take the reading. Top up accordingly before putting it back in. :D

Before I fitted a centre stand to my NC I simply held the bike upright by sitting on it for a few minutes then checking the dip stick. It helps to loosen the dip stick first though especially if you're a weakling like me. The block of wood under the side stand trick is also effective.

Xactly

Hold the bike level up off the side stand then realise you’ve forgotten to loosen the dipstick. Lower bike down again. Unscrew dipstick and drop on the floor, where it rolls away into some dirt. Retrieve dipstick and go and find a bit of rag you forgot to get to wipe the dipstick with in the first place. Wipe off the dirt.

Go back to the bike and lift it off its side stand again. Go too far and fail to prevent bike toppling over away from you. Revel in the sound of cracking plastic and the sight of oil gushing from the filler hole. Call wife/partner/someone to come to your aid. Call ambulance as helper slips and breaks hip on the oil slick on the floor.

Back from hospital spread sand over oil slick and ask neighbour to help you right the bike.

Call Honda dealer to collect bike, repair it and carry out oil and filter change. And fit mainstand......

• Haha 9

Thanks all for your input!

• Like 1