Lost fasteners under the petrol tank

jeremyr62

jeremyr62

Anyone have a clue how hard/easy it is to retrieve nuts/washer/other miscellany from the black hole that is under the petrol tank? I have lost quite a few bits under there and I cannot seem to find out where there end up. I assume they will fall out eventfully probably while moving.

Xactly

No, but if you find out please let me know. I lost a socket in there (a first for me). I’ve managed to retrieve a few washers and a spacer by using an extendable magnet, one of the most useful items I have in my extensive set of tools. I believe that area is in fact a tardis-like portal to another world where scrapyards are big business...

• Haha 3
jeremyr62

It’s a disaster area. I think I will stuff old sponges down the gaps but there are so many nooks and crannies.

kayz1

I used that method on my bikes, the lad does spraying and body work. He has foam round stuff sticky

to block up door gaps and the like...just the job.

• Like 1
jeremyr62

I glued a neodymium magnet to a bicycle spoke and poked around and lo, the lost items magically appeared. 

So they seem to get retained as I had lost one seat washer many miles ago.

• Like 1
kayz1

I put white bed sheet under one Integra, removed all the plastics with great care...still never found any thing:dielaugh:

• Haha 1

Funnily enough I was doing just this job on Sunday . There is a plastic piece that runs along the end front end of the petrol tank so I think most parts fall in there or otherwise drop out the bottom near the shock. This catch-tank also catches bits of grit etc from the road. It is a poor design and seems to let things in but it is not easy to Get stuff out again. I had some flexi magnets and managed to extra some debris; I also used my garage vac with a fine hose attachment ; maybe I should have blown some air in there to blast stuff out but in the end figured I’d got enough stuff out. That, plus some minor chain adjustments, has produced a much quieter ride; I had noticed recently that things were sounding a bit rattley at the back. 

Slowboy
15 minutes ago, wjvh said:

.......I had noticed recently that things were sounding a bit rattley at the back. 

Have the same problem myself, I’ve put it down to old age and a mis-spent youth.....😁

• Haha 2