Sidestand

Blandy199

Blandy199

I went to kick the sidestand down this morning only to find it wouldn't go down!

Closer inspection revealed that the thing seems to be made from 2 pieces, a solid bar at the top end with part of the hinge and a tube that is attched to it with the base of the stand at the bottom. the tube is now turning on the solid section.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am assuming I can weld the two bits back together but it does seem a poor job.

Blandy199

Latest update, I have drilled through both pieces of the stand and put a 6mm bolt through it. That seems to have soted it.

Johnnie Mototrans

Hi Martin

The standard side stand is one piece

I have seen aftermarket stands that allow you to adjust the length.

My guess is that you have one of those.

A lot of us have lowered X models to suit short fat hairy legs.

I wonder if a previous owner has lowered your S model and faced a similar problem.

Edited by Johnnie Mototrans
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
MatBin
11 hours ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

Hi Martin

The standard side stand is one piece

I have seen aftermarket stands that allow you to adjust the length.

My guess is that you have one of those.

A lot of us have lowered X models to suit short fat hairy legs.

I wonder if a previous owner has lowered your S model and faced a similar problem.

Mine is two pieces welded together, 2017 X, not modified as far as I know.

Blandy199

Matbin and Johnnie, thank you. Yes I suspect you could be right. I have taken some time to work out just why I have been so uncomfortable on this bike, the low seat height is definitely a factor. With a bit of experimenting I have added some memory foam and one of those inflatable lilo type things to the seat which has raised it around 2 inches. This is much more comfortable for me.

Getting back to the sidestand, the weld at the top had given way but with a bolt through both parts it seems ok now.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Delboy777
On 27/05/2021 at 14:51, Blandy199 said:

Matbin and Johnnie, thank you. Yes I suspect you could be right. I have taken some time to work out just why I have been so uncomfortable on this bike, the low seat height is definitely a factor. With a bit of experimenting I have added some memory foam and one of those inflatable lilo type things to the seat which has raised it around 2 inches. This is much more comfortable for me.

Getting back to the sidestand, the weld at the top had given way but with a bolt through both parts it seems ok now.

The top weld cracking so that the lower half of the stand can be rotated is not an uncommon problem. Its been reported on other forums I inhabit.