Brake Question.

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi All, just swapped front brake pads on both bikes, I usually  use organic pads but this time I seem to have got hold of sinitered pads, now the question is are they usually noisy bending in and do they take a little longer to bed in than organic.

Cheers

Steve Case

They will be noisier as they have bits of metal in the pads, but they should bed in pretty quickly.

Couple of stoppies outside your local chippie and they will be fine.

• Haha 7
Grumpy old man
7 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

They will be noisier as they have bits of metal in the pads, but they should bed in pretty quickly.

Couple of stoppies outside your local chippie and they will be fine.

Thanks Steve 👍

sandalfarm

Surely  the metal  bits are throughout the pad and so the noise and increased wear rate will be there  all the time

• Like 1
Graham NZ

Hmm.  I've ruined discs by bedding in pads aggressively.  As with other new parts I suggest just using the brakes normally for a hundred miles or so before using maximum pressure unless absolutely necessary.

• Like 4
Andy m

There is some horrible guff written about bedding brake lining. . The article/advice above is very much at the practical/sensible end. The idea is to simply get heat and pressure together, just ride normally unless your normal is 3 miles at a time using engine braking only. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Steve Case
15 hours ago, sandalfarm said:

Surely  the metal  bits are throughout the pad and so the noise and increased wear rate will be there  all the time

Hi Ralph,

Yes & yes, sintered pads have the increase in noise and disk wear rate because of the inserted metal but also have the increase in stopping power over GG rated organic pads.

I cannot use organic pads because I use the brakes fairly aggressively and find them lacking, because of this I find the pad wear rate is high

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Steve Case

I hope no-one thought I actually meant to go and practice stoppies to bed in the pads, but as everyone on this site is obviously Yoof😉, I thought riding up the high street and practicing 'stunts' to impress birds was commonplace and pretty much wot the young scallies on the site did every weekend....

• Haha 4