Service Frequency

Guest Silver Hawk

Guest Silver Hawk

OK, so it's every 8000 miles or annually...which ever come first.

But I have a real problem with this every year service. I have a number of bikes, so I may only do 500 miles on the NCX in some years; I'm not going to pay for an annual service just so that I can keep my Service Book looking all up-to-date for the next owner.

I will get it serviced every 8000 miles but not every year....

So what's the answer? :huh:

Rocker66

What exactly is your question? You already seem to have decided to just get it serviced every 8000 miles.

Guest Silver Hawk

I'm not sure what my question is.

I guess I want my Service Book to have the Honda stamp every year, but not have to pay for it when I've done so few miles during the last 12 months.

Guest scrumpymike

If I were you, I'd ask yr dealer what the minimum requirement is to maintain yr warranty. I'm pretty sure they'd insist on oil service/inspection but it may be worth your while having that done.

Rev Ken

You can do the service yourself, so long as you use Honda parts and keep a full record of everything you do. This does not invalidate your guarantee - assuming of course that you do it properly!

You can do the service yourself, so long as you use Honda parts and keep a full record of everything you do. This does not invalidate your guarantee - assuming of course that you do it properly!

Sounding like a broken record now.... only if you are a VAT registered dealer or mechanic!

Guest Silver Hawk

Let me be extreme....as an example: I've done zero miles since it was last serviced 12 months ago;I even SORNed the bike. Surely it doesn't need another service...but it does if I want my Service Book kept stamped.

Edited by Silver Hawk
Rev Ken

Sounding like a broken record now.... only if you are a VAT registered dealer or mechanic!

I stand corrected - but wonder if the rules have changed. Originally you could only go to a Honda Dealer, but the EU (unusually) decided that Dealers couldn't insist on doing the service if you wanted to retain their guarantee, but opened it up to any garage, and I THOUGHT to any competent owner, subject to some constraints.

where did you get that information from?

I would at least let your dealer do an annual oil & filter change at bear minimum.

where did you get that information from?

Back in the eighties the standard selective contracts applied by the motor industry throughout Europe were ruled to be in restraint of trade and therefore in breach of the treaties governing the EC/EU. It was recognised that they did bring benefits to customers though and since 1985 Motor Industry Contracts have been governed by a series of "Block Exemption Regulations" that have set out rules governing what is and is not allowed in terms of contract restrictions. The current regulation was issued in 2002 and was extended a few years ago until May 2013. Generally the manufacturers are not allowed to insist on the use of their genuine parts only and customers have the right to have their vehicles serviced outside the manufacturer network without loosing their warranty rights - plus about 20 more pages of waffle..

You can have it serviced by a non-honda dealer, no problem. But to keep your warranty the mechanic or dealer must be vat registered, in the UK anyway.