Nc750x dct brake fade?

xxxfb

I’m not very good at using the search facility so if this is not new, apologies.

I have not long had the dct and keep forgetting to use the parking brake. However, yesterday I actually did. When I came back to the bike I forgot and tried to move it ( without turning the motor on). Realising my error, I unlocked the brake and moved off “normally”

After a few km I found I had no rear brake. No leaks, plenty of life left on the pads. I rode home very sedately, still no rear brake. A few hours later the brake was back. I will have to take it out for a careful ride but am not terribly happy about it.

Has anyone come across this or can explain what was happening, please?
I’m quite prepared to be told I’ve done something stupid, as long as there are specifics😊

Thanks,

Mike

Steve Case

The parking brake and rear brake are not connected, one is cable operated and one is hydraulic.

If you have a problem with the rear brake that is where you need to investigate.

Please keep in mind that no brake while you are riding is not the same as no brake when you are stationary as a lot less force is required to prevent the wheel turning.

• Like 1

Thank you for that. I thought they were separate but it just seemed too much of a coincidence. 

It'll certainly bear much more investigating!

Cheers

Mike

Just taken the bike out for a ride (10km?). Despite my best efforts, I couldn't provoke the rear brake pedal to "fail". 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gringo

I've had my 750 DCT for about 18 months and never experienced any rear brake fade. My only suggestion would be to bleed the system and/or change the fluid. I'm assuming the fluid is up to the recommended level in the reservoir and is of the correct type. Check hoses and connections for leaks etc. Hope you find the answer soonest. Take care. 

Andy m

It isn't brake fade. No ones had that since penny farthings went out of fashion. 

You pushed the pads back when you wheeled it because IIRC the mechanical parking brake is on the carrier with the service calliper . Go to it now. Put the palm of your hand on the service calliper and push hard towards the wheel. The floating pad will go back on the pistons and the whole calliper slide on the pins. The fluid reservoir will fill up. Now push the pedal. Floppier than Mr. Floppy when watching the film about what the MOD say naughty soldiers can catch in Hamburg and how they'll treat it. Give it a few good pumps and just like said squaddies normal function will resume. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
Steve Case

Yeah what he said 👆

• Haha 1

Sincerely thank you chaps. I was never quite old enough for a penny farthing but I do remember playing silly buggers with non servo assisted brakes in very old cars😏 

• Like 1
Defender

I've had my 2012 NC700X DCT since 2013, it was a dealers 1st demonstrator and after 9/10 years it's still on it's original rear disc and both sets of pads etc? The front has had two sets of replacement pads, but it does have C-ABS so splits the rear pedal brake application between the rear and front calliper, the latter only actuating one of it's three pistons.   

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Case

Oooo CABS. Thats one system I never want to work on. 

I wonder if anyone has measured how many meters of brake line is required for a 3 disk setup.

I bet 9m.