No gears

Robinjr

outrunner

Actually, slagging or defending the DCT transmission does nothing to help the O P with his problem.

Andy.

2 hours ago, davebike said:

two "crashed" ... owner should not own a disk lock!!

You know you've finally arrived when you forget to take off the disc lock because... hanging that bendy reminder wire onto your brake was *just* too much trouble ...and you attempt to move off... in full view...

so I've heard :-)

Robinjr

So, I fiddled about a bit and checked the side-stand switch. I plugged the bike in to the battery charger overnight to see if I could eliminate the battery from the problem. Next day I unhooked the charger and noticed I hadn’t even switched it on, doh! However, the bike started instantly, as always and the gear selection worked fine so I’m no closer to finding out what caused the problem in the first place, unless my playing with the switch sorted it out. I went out for an hour’s run and all was well so I’ll just ride with my fingers crossed! One point to mention: i bought the bike from a dealer as an ex-demo with just 1002 miles on the clock. It could have also been used as a courtesy bike so there is no telling how many potential buyers or borrowers switched the engine off without first selecting neutral / used the cutout to kill the engine or otherwise abused the bike etc, etc.

jeremyr62

I always stop the engine with the kill switch. I have done it since day one on all the bikes I have ever owned. Hard to believe that could be the cause of the issue on the DCT. Even if you use the kill switch the bike still selects neutral in a second or two (I think).

(I just read the comment from Davebike and I suppose the fact the bike has to find neutral without the cogs turning could put extra load on the shift pin but the box will be designed to take those loads)

Edited by jeremyr62
sandalfarm

The triumph  dealer told me to use the key to switch  off my bike , something  to do with the ecu  switching  down which  you can definitely  hear something  going on and if you use the kill switch this doesn't happen and you have to remove the ignition  key anyway 

• Like 1
Tex
5 minutes ago, sandalfarm said:

The triumph  dealer told me to use the key to switch  off my bike , something  to do with the ecu  switching  down which  you can definitely  hear something  going on and if you use the kill switch this doesn't happen and you have to remove the ignition  key anyway 

Exactly right. And true of the NC range as well. Turning off with the key ‘powers down’ the ECU . Turning off with the emergency stop (aka ‘kill’) switch doesn’t. It’s a bit like turning off your PC by yanking the plug out of the wall socket.

• Like 1
jeremyr62

With all due respect that sounds very unlikely. A kill switch doesn't power down the bike. It just kills the ignition. Everything else stays powered up and live.

MatBin

It's actually in the Triumph user manual to use the key and not the Kill switch, and as blokes we always read the manual don't we? 🤔 I understand DCT users should put the bike into neutral with the engine running before switching off.

My DCT threw a bit of a wobbly recently when I stopped at roadworks temp lights I put it into neutral, when the lights went green I put it in D, on taking off it didn't want to change up, stopped, switched off, restarted and all was fine. Been fine ever since and have repeated my actions a couple of times, ghosts in the machine?

Edited by MatBin
Thosoneill
1 hour ago, MatBin said:

It's actually in the Triumph user manual to use the key and not the Kill switch, and as blokes we always read the manual don't we? 🤔 I understand DCT users should put the bike into neutral with the engine running before switching off.

My DCT threw a bit of a wobbly recently when I stopped at roadworks temp lights I put it into neutral, when the lights went green I put it in D, on taking off it didn't want to change up, stopped, switched off, restarted and all was fine. Been fine ever since and have repeated my actions a couple of times, ghosts in the machine?

I had a similar issue with my 2013 nc700d integra however it happened to me on a few different occasions just refused to change up and yes was fine upon restarting  - last couple of outings no issues whatsoever and running sweet 🤨🤔🤨🤔🤨🤔🤨🤔