Possible clutch slipping at middling rpm

Sbw

So first of all the history:

2014 nc750x

10k miles

6k of those miles put on since I got the bike a year ago

Reasonable service history with most recent 8k service a couple of months ago by a honda garage

The complaint:

I noticed while on the motorway that if I gunned the throttle (particularly going up hill) at about 4,000 rpm the clutch would feel like it was slipping. Revs would then hit the limiter with any change in acceleration unnoticeable. 

Downhill this seemed not to be an issue, and if I slowly creep past 4k it will accelerate away still without the problem being so noticeable. 

Definitely more noticeable in gears 4-6 but also happening in lower gears. What I found most odd is how the bike seems to overcome the hurdle - so if I’m in 1st and accelerating hard although it struggles for a couple of seconds it will still make it to 40ish eventually before the Rev limiter kicks in which I seem to remember being about what it used to do. 

What I’ve done:

The clutch was previously slipping and I adjusted it resulting in no issue. This time round there was a tiny bit of freeplay in the lever but not much so I’ve adjusted it a little to give around 2-3mm

Unsure what next steps to take so would recommend some advice. I’m wondering if the chain might be a little lose, the cable frayed or the front sprocket worn but would appreciate any advice!

Grumpy old man

Check the clutch lever at the engine end has play and is returning properly,  failing that it sounds like the clutch is shot😒. What sort of oil are you using?

Tex

You’re describing a textbook case of clutch slip, I’m afraid. The fact that it’s worse in the higher gears or going up hill rather seals the deal. It’s unusual (but not entirely unheard of) for a clutch to wear so quickly and I suggest whoever fixes pays particular attention to the cable and operating mechanism. 

• Like 2
fj_stuart
1 hour ago, Tex said:

You’re describing a textbook case of clutch slip, I’m afraid. The fact that it’s worse in the higher gears or going up hill rather seals the deal. It’s unusual (but not entirely unheard of) for a clutch to wear so quickly and I suggest whoever fixes pays particular attention to the cable and operating mechanism. 

What Ted says. In my experience bike clutches do not wear out. I've taken a couple of bikes to six figure miles on originals. The only slip I got was on my CBF250 when the cable got sticky. Try disconnecting the cable - the inner should move freely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
davebike

I hada customer do a clutch on aNC700x  30k I think  but he admited to being heavy handed !

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Check the clutch lever at the engine end has play and is returning properly,  failing that it sounds like the clutch is shot😒. What sort of oil are you using?

No idea what oil’s in it but given a Honda garage did the last change and it hasn’t needed topping up since I’d hope that wasn’t the problem. 

I am just slightly disbelieving that a clutch could be on the way out within 10k miles. 

I’ll have a fiddle but realistically I’ll have to take it to a shop to sort as I don’t think this is something I’ll have any luck sorting myself. 

Thanks all for responses!

Tex
31 minutes ago, Sbw said:

No idea what oil’s in it but given a Honda garage did the last change and it hasn’t needed topping up since I’d hope that wasn’t the problem. 

I am just slightly disbelieving that a clutch could be on the way out within 10k miles. 

I’ll have a fiddle but realistically I’ll have to take it to a shop to sort as I don’t think this is something I’ll have any luck sorting myself. 

Thanks all for responses!

Where are you based? We have a good chap here in the south east? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Grumpy old man

Baben, a forum member, had issues with the clutch on his new Cb500x,  turned out to be a over tightened clutch lever pivot bolt. Again check gor play in the lever on the engine, you should have a few mm play when the clutch is fully released, if there's no play it could be a tight cable or lever.

Good luck.

Keep us informed. 

• Like 1
Xactly

As others have said I think it’s probably worn clutch plates, probably caused by insufficient free play in the cable or a sticking cable. Properly adjusted modern wet multiplate clutches like these don’t normally wear unless abused or maladjusted. The plus side is that it’s not a particularly difficult or expensive fix especially if you do it yourself or find a decent independent dealer.

• Like 1
MatBin

Sounds odd that you are getting less freeplay as time goes on, no idea why that would be. I did have one bike where the actuating arm inside the engine wore so I couldn't see it and caused an issue. I have only had one bike need a new clutch and that was at, for me, a lowly 36k on a dry clutch BMW. All my bikes have been used as commuter bikes with daily rides into London or around the park and ride M25, so lots of use.

As above, I would disassemble the clutch lever and see if there is wear or binding in that area first. Any reasonable mechanic should be able to fix, probably not using Honda plates but cheaper better 3rd party ones.

Edited by MatBin

Im based in london but happy to travel if it means seeing someone whos recommended. Not 100% satisfied with the place I went for my service given they told me an incorrect legal tyre tread depth, I assume to try and flog a tyre. 

I have checked the cable and definitely enough free movement in it. Only positives are that it does certainly seem to be a slipping clutch and the idea it’s actually completely shot seems unlikely!

Edited by Sbw
MatBin
4 minutes ago, Sbw said:

Im based in london but happy to travel if it means seeing someone whos recommended. Not 100% satisfied with the place I went for my service given they told me an incorrect legal tyre tread depth, I assume to try and flog a tyre. 

@davebikeon here is in S London

SteveThackery
On 08/07/2021 at 18:07, Sbw said:

I have checked the cable and definitely enough free movement in it.

As mentioned earlier, you need to check the clutch actuating lever down at the gearbox as well, to make sure that it, too, has some free movement in it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 10:06, SteveThackery said:

As mentioned earlier, you need to check the clutch actuating lever down at the gearbox as well, to make sure that it, too, has some free movement in it.

Sorry - I wasn’t clear, there definitely was movement at both ends. Either way, clutch now replaced and bike is happy again. Allegedly a result of my being too harsh on it. I assume that means that I’m going to have to change the way I filter…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Xactly

Trashing a clutch at that mileage takes some doing….What I assume you don’t know is how the PO treated it. I find that the low down power and easy balance of these bikes is such that I barely need to slip the clutch to get away, on the level. It will just pull along with the clutch engaged at tickover revs; my car does the same.

MatBin
3 hours ago, Sbw said:

Sorry - I wasn’t clear, there definitely was movement at both ends. Either way, clutch now replaced and bike is happy again. Allegedly a result of my being too harsh on it. I assume that means that I’m going to have to change the way I filter…

Is this the first clutch you have bu**ered or are you a constant abuser of these overly delicate items? :)

Grumpy old man

Pleased it's sorted. Keep an eye on the adjustment. 

1 hour ago, Xactly said:

Trashing a clutch at that mileage takes some doing….What I assume you don’t know is how the PO treated it. I find that the low down power and easy balance of these bikes is such that I barely need to slip the clutch to get away, on the level. It will just pull along with the clutch engaged at tickover revs; my car does the same.

I’m always happy to blame the po! Only previous vehicle I had with a gear changing issue was a 96 vw polo where the synchromesh was shot causing 5th gear to be a double declutching experience. 

This is only the second bike I’ve had but my ybr had more miles on the clock, was certainly abused more and had less done in the way of maintenance. That did not need a new clutch!

Probably not the pulling away that’s the issue, more the moving between 2 and 10 mph weaving through traffic that’s causing me to use half the clutch half the time…