nc700s fork seals

splke

splke

Anyone tackled these ? 

i was thinking of replacing mine but looks like it could be a bit of an arse so may pay someone :shocked: 

davebike

All the nc forks are very similar  and for me really easy 

Strip them out:-  front brake calliper off wheel out mudguard off losen bolts in top and bottom yokes pull out forks

Do one fork at a time, remove dust seal remove seal clip invert fork and remove bottom bolt (this may need an impact driver)

Hold fork over drain tray and remove oil  slide the two bits appart hammering like a slide hammer to remove seal

Let both bits drain ! !

reasemble leg to damper refit bottom bolt hand tight slid the top bush into place with the washer on top hammer down carefully refit the seal also a push fit  old seal can act as a drift refit clip and dust seal 

Invert remove bottom bolt and usea funnel to refill

Repeat with 2nd leg  refit and assemble bike

I do in 90 minuites or so but I have lots of cheat tools

• Like 6
splke

thank you for the reply 

would it need to be on a ramp ?

only have a paddock stand not sure if i could manage it with just that 

Xactly

When I removed the forks on my Nc750x to fit gaiters I used a scissor jack with a piece of wood under the engine. The trick is to loosen all the bolts before jacking it up and to remove, fix and replace one fork leg at a time. While I have a centre stand I think the same technique could be used with a rear paddock stand, maybe with axle stands under the footrests. Dunno.

As Davebike has said the job itself is pretty straightforward. Hope that helps.

• Like 1
Mr Toad

I did the seals on my NC and they are really easy as per davebike's instructions.

No ramp or lift needed, I did mine while it was on the centre stand. 

outrunner

Maybe just me, but I would go for genuine Honda seals, expensive yes, but as mine has done 62000 miles and not needed any they obviously last well.

Andy.

davebike

I mostly use Ariete (Ari)  or OEM  but that just what I prefer

I only use OEM if the fork is having problems or customer requests them I don't think they are much if any better We keep seals in stock but there no way I have over100 sets as we do at OEP prices even with trade discount!!

The only difficult parts are making sure the bike is safe while the front wheel is out OK with main stand not with only a side stand or paddock stand  I would say no mainstand an ABBA stand is the ONLY safe way to do forks seen / heard of far too many paddock stand and jack accadents

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Noel Hynes

Hi there- I found this excellent video on Youtube re fork seal replacement.

Last year I got a mechanic to replace both of my front seals and the bike had only done under 4000 miles- upon removal he advised that there was a possibility these had been done before. So last August both front seals replaced and guess what with **** etc- 50 miles in and one of them is leaking again !!!! I am awaiting on the mechanic to come back as he agreed this should not have happened. This link was very useful as I have now removed the fork myself.

Noel.

• Like 2
DaveStewart
On 14/07/2021 at 08:37, davebike said:

All the nc forks are very similar  and for me really easy

LOL  Straight to the garage/dealer for me.

Mark8arker

Quiet simple jod to do. Can be time consuming first time. But very satisfying once done. Make sure set up your work area first. Put small piece wood under centre stand to lift the bike up a bit more. Good luck 

It’s easy to do, worth doing to learn how these things work etc. I would recommend buying a proper seal driver though, 41mm, motion pro recommended.

Xactly

Better still, fit fork gaiters and save yourself the trouble.....I used Triumph ones. They also have 41mm forks.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Once you have replaced the seals another tip is to buy some fork tube protectors.I bought some cheap ones out of the "bargain bucket" at my local bike shop just to keep the crud off the first couple of inches and to give the dust seals some help .They also prevent stone chips which lead to rust and seal failure.I agree with Xactly gaiters are the ideal solution but in my experience when they split contamination can sit in the areas you are protecting thus giving you problems you are trying to prevent.I prefer to keep an eye on things but this is my opinion but I am however also in agreement with the "gaiter camp".

Safe riding

Xactly
24 minutes ago, t5er said:

Once you have replaced the seals another tip is to buy some fork tube protectors.I bought some cheap ones out of the "bargain bucket" at my local bike shop just to keep the crud off the first couple of inches and to give the dust seals some help .They also prevent stone chips which lead to rust and seal failure.I agree with Xactly gaiters are the ideal solution but in my experience when they split contamination can sit in the areas you are protecting thus giving you problems you are trying to prevent.I prefer to keep an eye on things but this is my opinion but I am however also in agreement with the "gaiter camp".

Safe riding

Yes, gaiters do have drawbacks but I prefer them to protectors. I just loosen the bottom fastener periodically and have a look. The ones I have have the air holes positioned sensibly to minimise the risk of water penetration. Really the old fashioned metal shrouds    as on RE singles are the best.