Rear axle but always loose

Nero

Good morning all, just a quick question and curious to see if this is a problem anyone else is having.

I have a 2014 NC750X DCT, which has been faultless ever since I got it. However, I have noticed that, from the first time the rear wheel nut was cracked in order to replace tyres, the rear axle nut never stays tight....it always seems to loosen,causing the chain to go slack.

I recently went to Wales and was horrified to find, when I arrived after a 200 mile ride, that the chain was VERY slack. I managed to find a car garage who leant me some tools and was even more shocked to see that I could almost turn the axle nut with my fingers, they were so loose.

Everything was tightened up and when I got back home, it was loose again...not as bad but the chain was definitely slack and the nuts needed tightening again. Anyone had the same issue and if so, is it recommend I just get a completely new axle and nut?

Many thanks in advance.

jeremyr62

No. Something is very wrong. An axle nut should never loosen by itself. You need to tighten it to the correct torque as a first step and then see if it still  loosens. Are you new to bike maintenance?

Edited by jeremyr62
  • Sad 1
Andy m

The axle nut is a nyloc so if it's backing off the insert has gone. New nut for certain. 

Check the lock nuts on the chain adjuster too, they contribute to holding everything. 

Andy

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Replace the nut with a new one. I'm pretty sure it's a self  locking nut (nylock) and if that's worn for some reason that would cause it to unwind. That would be my 1st choice and they can't cost that much.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2014/NC750XAE/Frame/REAR-WHEEL/71520/F_15/2/16218

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 2
Andy m
3 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

worn for some reason

Windy gun used by the Quick Thick Fitters. Next best thing to a blowtorch for wrecking fasteners. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
AP nc750x 21

Just a thought but has this only been happening since the tyre was changed?

Do you mean physically cracked or do you just mean removed and refitted?

• Like 1
skorpion

I would have thought that the chain adjuster bolts should stop the axle moving forward if set correctly.

• Like 2
MatBin

Just a thought, has a spacer or similar been forgotten by the tyre fitters. I usually take a loose wheel for a tyre change rather than let someone forget a vital part on re-assembly. Has a spacer been put in incorrectly so the nut never gets tightened down to the nylock part? As I recall the spacers are different each side.

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 3
alhendo1
15 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Just a thought, has a spacer or similar been forgotten by the tyre fitters. I usually take a loose wheel for a tyre change rather than let someone forget a vital part on re-assembly. Has a spacer been put in incorrectly so the nut never gets tightened down to the nylock part? As I recall the spacers are different each side.

Good call there👍

Andy m

A missing spacer would produce an axle that slid backwards and forwards and maybe side to side but with a tight (not revolving) nut. The nut bottoms on the taper where the thread ends and tightens against that, the wrench with numbers clicks and the tyre monkey can give it a swift half turn for luck and prop the wrench back against the workshop door for another 18 months. 

I read this that the nut only goes finger tight then easily turns backwards? 

I change my own tyres. No one will take the care you will. Presenting a lose wheel to tyre fitters limits them to bent rims. To take a wheel off you want a mechanic. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 4

Inclined to agree with Matt. The nyloc is a last resort to stop the nut falling off. With all the spacers in place, when the nut is tightened to the correct torque it should put the axle under tension which stops the nut coming loose. When you do it up does it go solid or just feel like you are compressing a very stiff spring, if the llater i would suspect a spacer or washer is missing.

• Like 1
MatBin

All my previous bikes have had the ability to fit a split pin, apart from my BMs of course :)

• Like 1

Make sure that some twonk hasn’t greased the spindle threads for starters. Clean them with carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

Fit a new lock nut and tighten to the correct torque. Then report back here. :niceone:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
alhendo1
26 minutes ago, Tex said:

Make sure that some twonk hasn’t greased the spindle threads for starters. Clean them with carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

Fit a new lock nut and tighten to the correct torque. Then report back here. :niceone:

Another good shout👍

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, MatBin said:

If a spacer had been omitted,  I wouldn't have thought there'd have been enough thread on the spindle to tighten up at all.

You'd certainly have a bent swing arm.

• Like 1
outrunner

Like others have said, I don't understand how the chain goes slack as the adjusters should hold the spindle in place even if the nut is not fully tight.

Andy.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 15:40, AP nc750x 21 said:

Just a thought but has this only been happening since the tyre was changed?

Do you mean physically cracked or do you just mean removed and refitted?

No, sorry, I meant loosen for the first time when the tyre was changed.

On 15/07/2021 at 16:16, skorpion said:

I would have thought that the chain adjuster bolts should stop the axle moving forward if set correctly.

That's what I thought but maybe they are also part of the problem.🤔

Thank you very much for all your advice, everyone, I really appreciate it and sorry for leaving it so long. I tried a bit of lock tight and it seemed to work but I don't want that to be the final solution,so when I get a bit of time, I'll pop it down to Honda and inhale sharply as they hand me the bill🤣.

I Will let everyone know what the outcome is, just for future reference.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4