Goodness me - G5 carbs

Gringo

Gringo

No wonder the CB250G5 wasn't running right. Look at the filth in there. A shocking way to look after a bike of this age. I'm ashamed and will sit on the naughty step for a week. Now, do I clean them with carb' cleaner and an air line or go the ultrasonic route? I was thinking of replacing jets but may try the cleaning process first. The air filters too were a disgrace and need replacing but, at £40 a pop I'm looking at alternatives. I've heard of folk having them repapered. 

G4-MAIv-Br-QOKIb-Yp9-Z3-Tr5w.jpg

• Sad 2
Trev

I think that's an ultrasonic jobbie there, looks too far gone for carb cleaner. I wouldn't replace the jets until you've had them cleaned as some of the kits aren't always perfect matches. If you haven't got a friendly ultra sonic cleaner person near you then I've bought myself one and not used it yet, happy to have a go at them for you if you want. A long ride down and I'll do them while you here (free coffee and biccies) or post them down to me, I'm away until 26th July but can give them a zap after that and post them back.

Edited by Trev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Gringo

Thank you @Trev that is a very kind offer. I do have a couple of mates that can assist so I should be ok. Your advice regarding the jets is noted. Many thanks. I'll let you know how it goes as and when.

• Like 1
Trev
3 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Thank you @Trev that is a very kind offer. I do have a couple of mates that can assist so I should be ok. Your advice regarding the jets is noted. Many thanks. I'll let you know how it goes as and when.

I've bought two carb kits recently, one for the X7, the other for the XS, and both had incorrect jets somewhere, I can't recall which, mains were okay but it did mean reusing ld jets and, from memory, an O ring. Of course it depends on which kits you  go for but I used Yam bits for the XS and the keyster for the X7 as both quite reputable.

• Thanks 1
Gringo

I was looking at getting Keyster for the G5 but they're currently out of stock. Their web site says delivery is expected at the end of April...but it didn't say which year. :blink:

Andy m

Pop them in a jiffy bag to Leeds if you want them through an ultrasonic cleaner. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1