Battery not charging

mnorton123

mnorton123

Hi - I have the NC700 X 2013. Battery went flat, so bought a new one, as it has been on longer than Ive had the bike, however the new one went flat too.  Checked with multimeter, 11.5 volts at rest, drops to 10.5 when (if) I get it to fire up again, and revving the engine alters the reading not a jot.  Do you know if this is a rectifier issue?  What's the best next step?

Thanks

DaveM59

Most probably is although it might be worth checking the 30A fuse on the starter relay. Also find the regulator and chase the cables and check the connector plugs where the input wires connect to the loom from the stator coil. You can do an AC voltage check between each of the wires from the stator and earth with the engine at 2-3000rpm and if any is notably less than the others or has no reading then it may be the stator coils failed but odds are it's just the regulator. Stator failure is fairly rare.

• Thanks 1
fj_stuart

I had a charging problem with my CBF250. The system is pretty simple and it's a matter of checking that electricity is where it should be.

You have established that there's no power getting to the battery. Next check the main fuse (20A in the CBF's case), and the earth. Then check the AC output from the alternator. You can split the connector and measure the voltage across each pair of contacts. Should be fairly high - 40V AC when you rev it. It's ok to start the engine with the alternator disconnected. In the CBF's case it was low - about 8V - and the stator was fried.

the CBF's charging system (In Portuguese)

b%252301.JPG

• Thanks 1
larryblag

I think I prefer the Portuguese nomenclature - trips off the tongue rather poetically 👍😁

Larryblagador

Edited by larryblag
  • Haha 2
kayz1

Sorry can not add any more to this thread.. it's all been said.

• Like 1
davebike

Locate the conector to the stator  with a multi meter on ohms

ANY wire to earth  40M ohms

Between each pair roughly 1 or 2 ohms  same on each pair  most multimeters not the great at low ohms !

Get at rec/reg  bike side connector red wire should have 12v  green earthed  but I not seen any honda with connection issues

If the stator checks OK it is the rec/reg   rec/reg tests are not that reliable !  Stator restance check is

• Like 1