How to release plastic body panel clips

MikeBike

MikeBike

I know how to release and reset the plastic clips that came as standard in my NC but have some spares that have a crosshead slot on top and have no idea how the could be released when the back is in an inaccessible location. 

They look like this 

s-l400.jpg

A push from the rear will release but if not accessible the only way I can see is using a knife to get under the edge of the centre pin head but it's very tight. 

I'm puzzled why there is a crosshead, turning would just turn the whole fastener.

Anyone know how they are supposed to be released?

ChrisCB

I thought that type had a fine thread which you very lightly, no pressure, undo with a JIS screw driver.

outrunner
30 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

I thought that type had a fine thread which you very lightly, no pressure, undo with a JIS screw driver.

What he said, they only need 1 turn to release them.

Andy.

kayz1

Do not push hard on the screw driver, just enough to grip so the pin will turn..it pops out>>

Like 1/4 turn only.

Lyn.

Edited by kayz1
  • Like 2
MikeBike

Thanks Lyn. I did try that but it wouldn't budge. I haven't used any in anger but wanted to test releasing before I used one. So I could also hold the reverse to test twisting as that seemed like the way it must work if it had a cross head. I'll give it another go knowing that's really how it should work.

kayz1

Do you want my bike Mike..cheap to you, just fitted the heated grips/bars and LED drive lamps and C type frunk outlet..

I can't reach the bars arms are straight out like a Hog rider.

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can buy some of those clips.

What clips?

Ow! and where are you, that could make a big difference ???

Edited by kayz1

Hi kayz1, the clips in the picture in the first post, i.e. panel clips with the cross head that you turn once and then extract. I am in Scotland so any UK website will do. Will update my profile also now.

larryblag

Confusingly, some types are released by pushing the centre pin in even further (so it's resessed) - then they come out easily. To reset push the pin back again so it's proud once more. You'll know when it's right as the outer claws will relax. To refit push the assembly in using just the outer margin. Then push the centre pin flush again to lock. 

I just turn the screw slightly while pulling the outer ring down, sometimes they are tough due to tension between the two panels.

I used www.fowlersparts.co.uk to get some more in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2