Oil change

Zoeson

Hi all,ian going to do an oil change on my 

nc 750s dct 2019,

At the moment I am using Castrol 10/30

semi synthetic,my mate has given me some Mobil 10/40 semi synthetic motorcycle oil

Would it be okay to use this with the bike been the dct model.

I await your thoughts.

Ian

Andy m

Wow, oil thread 😁😁😁😁😈🤐

Honda say 10W30. The forum has seen reports of DCT problems that appeared when dealers used 10W40 and were cured by 10W30. 

Your bike, your choice, I would use 10W30. 

Now let battle commence on the merits of semi-synthetic 😁😁😁😁

Andy

Edited by Andy m
Grumpy old man

From all the threads I've read, I'd stick with the 10w30 for a dct, saying that I use 10w40 but mines a manual. 

Don't forget you have 2 oil filters on the DCT bikes..

Hi thanks for replying I am going to stick with the 10/30oil any preferences on which brand oil oil to use I am using castrol power 1 semi synthetic at the moment.

I will be sticking with the two genuine Honda oil filters.

thanks again for your thoughts 

Ian

• Like 1
poldark

Castrol is certainly good I've used it on some previous bikes, but many other brands are perfectly acceptable.

Being "price conscious" (that's cheap according to my wife) I've used Westway recently.

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/10w30-Motorcycle-Oil-4-Stroke-JASO-MA2-10W30-5L-Westway-Lubricants-/121756857457?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 1

Be careful when you take out the drain plug. The oil shoots out a long way to the side, goes all over the paving stones and gets you a right bo**ocking off the wife. Ask me how I know  :getlost:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Don't forget you have 2 oil filters on the DCT bikes..

Yes thanks

Andy m

Oil brands are pretty meaningless so long as you can trust them to stick to SAE/ISO specs. Any name you've heard of will all be the same. Don't worry about the soap powder sales stuff, extra zazz, new zing and polycarbon linking technology etc. only exist in the (m)Adman's head. 

Andy

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Oil brands are pretty meaningless so long as you can trust them to stick to SAE/ISO specs. Any name you've heard of will all be the same.

By and large I agree. I personally use Castrol oils and have never had cause to regret it. Not least because they have supported motor sports for decades and my supporting them is a way of saying ‘thank you’. Putoline are also excellent and I use their grease, chain spray etc. For clarity, I get those free - but would use them anyway. Anyone who thinks decent oils & filters are expensive has no idea what an engine re-build costs. ;) 

Edit: This image was for today’s “From the archives” thread, but it seems relevant here..  :) 

20-DE2038-9-AF2-49-FB-A6-FF-D2-A9-C58631

Edited by Tex
  • Like 2
MatBin
On 12/08/2021 at 17:37, Zoeson said:

Hi all,ian going to do an oil change on my 

nc 750s dct 2019,

At the moment I am using Castrol 10/30

semi synthetic,my mate has given me some Mobil 10/40 semi synthetic motorcycle oil

Would it be okay to use this with the bike been the dct model.

I await your thoughts.

Ian

The other thing to bear in mind is motorcycle oils are designed for wet clutches, most car oil isn't, so even if you get the correctly rated oil i.e. 10w/30 makes sure it's to Honda's spec.

• Like 1