Magnet on oil filter?

usabikes

usabikes

Hi boys,

I have been fitting a magnet onto my spin-on oil filter for a few years but had always thought it didn't really do much as the filter itself would take care of the real work. The magnet was more for soothing the OCD part of me ;) . It's a big fat Neodymium N52 and if you get 2 of these together you'll never get 'em apart by hand. I have fitted a magnetic drain plug on the Himalayan (internal filter) for the same reason.

HOWEVER

I just ran the magnet idea past a lubrication engineer on youtube.

Here's our exchange:~

"So if I understand it correctly, automotive oil filters only filter out down to about 20 microns. This means all bearings are under threat from dirty oil. Is there any way to improve the lower limit of filtration? I have fitted a Neodymium magnet to my filter for the smallest ferrous particles - any other practicable methods? Thank you"

Answer:

"That's true actually - the problem with filtration any finer is that you risk pulling out some of the additive package too. Magnets are a good measure that helps a lot - ferrous debris gets work hardened as it circulates through so ferrous debris gets more and more potent as is ages. Beyond that there isn't a whole lot you can do - but hopefully the antiwear package is doing a good enough job from the start that it prevents a lot of wear."

So I thought I must share with my chums! Hope this helps. 

Here's the video in question if you're interested:~

Why does the cleanliness of my oil matter?

• Like 1
jeremyr62

Ferrous debris works hardens as it circulates. That’s a new one. Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. 

• Like 1
usabikes
58 minutes ago, Xactly said:

Anyone else attracted to this theory….?

What a repellant comment...

• Haha 1
Xactly
40 minutes ago, usabikes said:

Contrarian.

outrunner

That video was so far above my head I was looking for a vapour trail. :D

Andy.

• Haha 3
ChrisCB
1 hour ago, Xactly said:

Not really, manufacturers develop engines and lubrication systems well enough only to require regular oil and filter changes for a decent life.

3 minutes ago, outrunner said:

Andy.

I got 20 seconds in and nearly nodded off.

• Like 1
usabikes
40 minutes ago, outrunner said:

Andy.

Yeah, I'm hanging on by my finger nails. He seems to produce for fellow engineers, people in the trade or industrial heavy machinery supervisors. Still I manage to drag the odd useful tidbit out sometimes. And he does answer questions thankfully.

• Like 1
Andy m

The video is about industrial machinery. This stuff matters on the escalator at Picadilly tube station, not on my 50 year old Honda that's done a tenth of the service life on all major components that wear this way. 

The debris does get harder. Add twenty extra bends to a paper clip then try crushing it between your fingers, it'll have less give. 

Bikes die of corrosion, bodged maintenance (the escalator in a tube station is far less complicated) and attempts to make them do more than intended. If you can get those under control then improving the oil filtration might get your NC to 200000 miles instead of only 100000. I'd have got bored of all the stuff required to keep it alive well before then. 

Andy

• Thanks 1
listener
4 hours ago, usabikes said:
5 hours ago, Xactly said:

Opinions poles apart ... ?! :whistle::lol:

• Haha 1
Andy m

Dielectrically opposed? 

Andy

• Haha 1
listener
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

Dielectrically opposed? 

Flux knows! :angel:

• Haha 5
jeremyr62

Metallic debris in an engine is going to be from the gearbox, oil pump rotors, maybe a chain and perhaps some bearing surfaces. All of of those parts will be made from hardened steels or cast irons. So already very hard. To suggest these tiny fragments will be then deformed to work harden them as they pass into the sump is not credible. Even if they did it wouldn’t make any difference and I would love to know how this increase in hardness could be measured. It sounds like an engineering urban myth similar to the “fatigue is caused when the material crystallises” which  I still run into from time to time by people who should know better. 

fj_stuart

If this appeals to you a magnetic drain plug might be a simpler solution. I put one in my FJ1200 years ago. Luckily it has never attracted any nasties.

• Like 1
davebike

I seen a lot of magnetic drain plugs  seldom much on them with customers who change oil  but those who change it "when teh bike not running so I get a service" I removed large amounts of ferris debris !

I had a magnetic addition for the oil filter for a time but didn't seem to makea lot of deifference but I buy oil trade and change it more often than Honda say and run better oil

jeremyr62

I have used the magnetic drain plugs too. No harm in them at all. I also fitted a Stahlbus quick drain sump plug to my FJR. The bike I was going to keep forever. 

Sold the bike before I ever needed to change the oil..

Xactly
2 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

I have used the magnetic drain plugs too. No harm in them at all. I also fitted a Stahlbus quick drain sump plug to my FJR. The bike I was going to keep forever. 

Sold the bike before I ever needed to change the oil..

That’s the point really; if a modern engine will easily do 100,000 miles, why bother? I’ve fitted magnetic drain plugs in the past - they do give an indication of where something is wrong. You should have seen the amount on the magnetic plugs on the RE UCE I had. They came fitted with a magnetic drain plug…

Andy m

The Fortnine bloke did an interesting study/commentary on what came out on the first oil change. IIRC the results basically supported a more modern production line. 

The quick drain things have always struck me as a solution to a problem I didn't have. You trade undoing one bolt once a year for a connector that is seconds quicker but not as secure. If I was paying twenty blokes to service a fleet of taxis I might be more interested. 

Andy

• Thanks 1
davebike

I agree Andy  I can and do sell them and magnetic ones bit Me I use as supplied by Honda

I feel a lot of the bike bits sold are to fix non exestant problems

• Like 1