NC700x Gearbox return spring replacement

Laverda

Hi,

Just sorting out a busted gearbox return spring. I have the right hand case off and can see the broken spring which sits inboard of the gearchange shaft. I tried to pull the shaft out and then realised it goes all the way through the engine. I haven't pulled it out. The good news is that it seems this spring can be changed without removing the clutch. Anybody done this task and can describe what needs to be done?

Thanks

Nick :-)

davebike

Not on an NC but lots of others

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5571439/nc700x-abs-2013-degital-silver-metallic-any-nc700xad/gearshift-drum-nc700xxa

Gives an Idea   

Remove gear leaver from shaft  CLEAN  shaft  then withdraw it may be a pain !

Replase pin (if bit is missing a serch with a magnet is called for!)

Should be simple  just spring and silicon for clutch cover  Me I would change the oil and filter

Hi davebike,

Thanks for your reply. You gave me the confidence to pull the gearchange shaft all the way through the engine! Your tip about the magnet also came in useful as when I pulled the shaft clear I heard a metal noise like something fell off. Couldn't see anything but there are big drain holes down into the gearbox...I poked around with my finger and found nothing. So put in one of those cheapo telescopic magnet things and hey presto pulled out a shim! That wouldn't have ended well hey?

Anyhows the job is straightforward (no need to take off the plate by the shaft on the drive side) but remember that the gearshaft is exposed to the elements on the drive side - worth cleaning as best you can before drawing it through the engine seal. I did my best but I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get the tell tale drop of oil when it's left on the sidestand.

Thanks again.

Nick :-)

• Like 1