2017 X SDBV Forks, oil change.

MatBin

Changed the fork oil. The old stuff was a light grey ?? Put half a litre in each fork. Front end doesn't seem to dive as much when I brake. Got it all back together and then had one of those 'did I put the springs in the right way round' moments. Too late now .

2 hours ago, RoyG said:

Changed the fork oil. The old stuff was a light grey ?? Put half a litre in each fork. Front end doesn't seem to dive as much when I brake. Got it all back together and then had one of those 'did I put the springs in the right way round' moments. Too late now .

Does it actually make any difference? My thoughts are that if one end is less compressable, then the more easily compressible end will compress first regardless of if its at the top or bottom or even if the springs are the same way round in both legs?

Done a Google search and Progressive spring co reckon no difference mechanically, but it might give less unsprung weight and less noise if installed with closer coils uppermost.

Would we notice?

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 2
jeremyr62

No difference mechanically. If you are putting the oil in after the springs are in, it might make a difference to the volume if you are using the height of the oil level.

I didn't bother with the height thing. I thought I have a litre so it's half each. I was going to measure the old oil pouring it into a graduated jug but I dropped a spring into it and spilled the lot over the paving slabs. Same as my last oil change. Good job she was out, I jet washed them before she got back. :angel:

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, RoyG said:

I didn't bother with the height thing. I thought I have a litre so it's half each. I was going to measure the old oil pouring it into a graduated jug but I dropped a spring into it and spilled the lot over the paving slabs. Same as my last oil change. Good job she was out, I jet washed them before she got back. :angel:

Do you mean you jet washed the springs :)

• Haha 1