What length of dog-bones?

Marky

Hi there peeps, bit of a problem, PO fitted lowering links to bike as had PPO, so bike came with 2 'spare' pairs.  PO also had side stand shortened by 15mm. I have since fitted the longest pair, and I'm thinking the bike might still be low, I'm only 5'7" and I can still get both feet flat on the floor, and it's still a heave to get bike up on centre stand....

What length are the original dog-bones, please?

Don't want to go buying wrong 'uns.

They seem remarkably over-priced for what they are......

Thanks in advance 😀

Just took them off my wife's Integra for a cleanup, will measure them when I have  a break, that is if they use the same.

Empty_Ten

If you have the X and can flat foot at 5”7, then it’s definitely been lowered.  I’m the same height and perched like a ballet dancer on mine.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk

put in your bike details and buy the original dog bones/ suspension links.

Saying that, is there any particular reason why you want to do so?  If the bike is working out for you ok, then I see no reason to change?  I miss being able to flat foot a bike.

I personally don’t like the concept of lowering a bike because to me, it’s messing with the geometry of the bike.  Plenty of people have done so with no problems of course, I just prefer not to - status quo and all that.

Bear in mind that if you go back to the original dog bones/links that you’ll probably need a new side and centre stand too.  Otherwise with the shortened side stand, it’ll lean over a lot more.  Lowered bikes typically use the the NC750S centre stand as opposed to the X, so you’d probably have to replace that as well but it’s worth checking to make sure the PO hasn’t just left a normal X centre stand on there.

The centre stand is a pig to use though and not the best design.  I’ve put heavier, bulkier bikes on centre stands with more ease than the NC. 

fred_jb
25 minutes ago, Empty_Ten said:

If you have the X and can flat foot at 5”7, then it’s definitely been lowered.  I’m the same height and perched like a ballet dancer on mine.

Probably true, but you do have to bear in mind that leg length is not not strictly proportional to height.

I am just under 6' 1" but only have a 31" inside leg, so my extra height is mainly in my back - probably why I have so many back problems!   In contrast, if I remember correctly, Andy the Missenden Flyer vlogger has said he is 5' 8" and has a 31" inside leg. so I'm no better at reaching the ground than him, despite being a lot taller. 

• Like 3
Empty_Ten
5 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Probably true, but you do have to bear in mind that leg length is not not strictly proportional to height.

I am just under 6' 1" but only have a 31" inside leg, so my extra height is mainly in my back - probably why I have so many back problems!   In contrast, if I remember correctly, Andy the Missenden Flyer vlogger has said he is 5' 8" and has a 31" inside leg. so I'm no better at reaching the ground than him, despite being a lot taller. 

Very true!  Something I'd completely forgotten about.

To the OP, I'm 5"7 with a 30" inseam and and am tip toes on my 2020 X for reference.

Xactly

I’m 5ft 8in with 29 inch inseam. I can comfortably put each foot flat on the floor but not at the same time. As long as one can do that I see no real need to have to have both feet flat. 

skorpion
On 27/08/2021 at 09:11, Marky said:

Hi there peeps, bit of a problem, PO fitted lowering links to bike as had PPO, so bike came with 2 'spare' pairs.  PO also had side stand shortened by 15mm. I have since fitted the longest pair, and I'm thinking the bike might still be low, I'm only 5'7" and I can still get both feet flat on the floor, and it's still a heave to get bike up on centre stand....

What length are the original dog-bones, please?

Don't want to go buying wrong 'uns.

They seem remarkably over-priced for what they are......

Thanks in advance 😀

NC750X

Original dog bones 135mm  to center of bolt holes.

Edited by skorpion
Xactly

Doesn’t it really just depend on how big the dog is? I mean, a toy poodle is going to have shorter bones than a Great Dane isn’t it? Oh, I see what you mean….I’ll get my coat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...
On 28/08/2021 at 09:37, skorpion said:

NC750X

Original dog bones 135mm  to center of bolt holes.

Thank you Skorpion, I'll away and get measuring...... 

• 1 year later...

have i measured the D/B right on mine at 145mm hole centres, it seems the bike has been lowered front been lowered bike cannot get it on centre stand