E10 Fuel

Johan

Gringo
1 hour ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

I would be concerned about parking the bike up for any time with E10 left in the tank to go off.

Yes Johnnie, I've heard this do. The G5 isn't laid up for too long but when she is I'll drain the tank and carbs as a precaution. Cheers.

jeremyr62
On 08/09/2021 at 09:21, Tel said:

What exactly is the additive they are using to dilute the petrol?

Ethanol. Chemically, exactly he same stuff we all like to imbibe to alter our world view. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Ethanol. Chemically, exactly he same stuff we all like to imbibe to alter our world view. 

........... and even at £1.50 + a litre, wayyyyyyyyyy cheaper than at the pub. Cant' wait for E20 soon and I'll bring a shot glass with me to the garage so I can go one for you, one for me as I fill up :thumbsup:

• Haha 2
SteveThackery

I think it's important to remember that they've been using E10 in other counties - e.g. Australia, US - for many years.  Obviously the issues associated with it are well-understood.  The hygroscopic nature of the ethanol does suggest we'd be wise not to leave it standing for long periods in a steel petrol tank, though.  Having said that, I would think that a decent tank lining treatment would eliminate any problems with corrosion.

• Thanks 1
MatBin
6 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

I think it's important to remember that they've been using E10 in other counties - e.g. Australia, US - for many years.  Obviously the issues associated with it are well-understood.  The hygroscopic nature of the ethanol does suggest we'd be wise not to leave it standing for long periods in a steel petrol tank, though.  Having said that, I would think that a decent tank lining treatment would eliminate any problems with corrosion.

What's the best way to drain an NC tank/fuel system if overwintering, or would filling up with super unleaded beforehand be better?

If I have half a tank of E10 would topping up with E5/unleaded be a suitable alternative before laying up for winter.

jeremyr62

Just keep the tank full. The water comes from moist air being drawn into the tank from thermal variations and then as the temp drops the water condenses on the sides of the tank. No air gap, no air, no water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

I'm just waiting for the ferry back from Norn Iron. They don't seem to have E10 here? 

This was Tesco BTW, not the place near Lisburn where you could hear the banjo's tuning up and I was asked ten times if I really meant to put Diesel in the car that wasn't red. Think they thought I must be with the revenue and was testing them! The old Repmobile ran badly on that stuff, it'd probably been in the tanks for years. 

Andy

• Haha 2

Been through Lisburn when visiting the son, who lives in Hillsborough. I didn’t hear the banjos but it’s pretty rural and mostly remarkably old fashioned and very pleasant.