E10 Fuel

Johan

Will the 2013 Integra be able to use the new E10 fuel?

bahnstormer

Yes.  Honda confirmed that any FI bike manufactured after 1993 can use E10.

• Like 2
Andy m

Yes. Honda after 1993 are fine. 

Hilariously . gov. uk says you can't use E10 in electric or Diesel vehicles. 🤐

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sigh 2
Xactly
11 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Andy

The average IQ of the British people is:

a  rising

b  falling; or

c what’s an IQ, some sort of electric vehicle?

• Haha 9
Hickky
12 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Hilariously . gov. uk says you can't use E10 in electric or Diesel vehicles.

Why not? Mind you, my scooter has a carburettor so I will run on the good stuff. 120 mpg means the extra cost is small.

• Haha 1
bahnstormer
1 hour ago, Xactly said:

c what’s an IQ, some sort of electric vehicle?

No, it's a small Toyota hybrid, available with a 1.0 or 1.3 petrol engine or a 1.4 diesel engine.  No pure electric version though :D

Edited by bahnstormer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Empty_Ten
59 minutes ago, bahnstormer said:

No, it's a small Toyota hybrid, available with a 1.0 or 1.3 petrol engine or a 1.4 diesel engine.  No pure electric version though :D

Not a Hybrid, I have one :D (the 1 litre).  Love the little bugger, and no road tax to pay (even though you have to go through the motions with the DVSA).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife filled her car yesterday and said she felt sick due to the smell of the new E10 'petrol'.

I got back from walking my dog just now and she was just leaving and the stink was awful and sickening.

What exactly is the additive they are using to dilute the petrol?

Has anybody else noticed this horrible aroma?

I now dread getting stuck in Blackwall Tunnel or gridlocked London traffic.:devil:

ChrisCB

Yep it stinks! I have a couple of samples in those auxiliary fuel containers and the E10 is a quite pungent fruity smell.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Chris750 said:

Yep it stinks! I have a couple of samples in those auxiliary fuel containers and the E10 is a quite pungent fruity smell.

Chris I think you may need a trip to the docs..."fruity"...!!!

My wife always says I have no sense of smell but 'fruity' is really pushing it....:hmm:

On 27/08/2021 at 15:39, Andy m said:

Andy

It is a true statement though.

• Haha 2
  • Sigh 1
On 08/09/2021 at 11:33, Tad said:

It is a true statement though.

Not really, you can use it but it will bugger your vehicle, might be pusing that statement in an electric vehicle though :)

1 hour ago, MatBin said:

Not really, you can use it but it will bugger your vehicle, might be pusing that statement in an electric vehicle though :)

I use E10 in my BMW i3, been fine so far 😁

• Haha 2

Interestingly, or not - you decide - all Triumphs made since 1990 (Hinckley then) are listed as compatible with E10. Now, they began with fuel injection for the 1999 model year which means the 1990 - 1998 models had carburettors. I can only imagine that it’s because E10 has existed in the USA for many years and Triumph was always keen to export there?

My daughter’s flat mate has an early MX-5, not compatible with E10 :( and my old favourites the MGF and TF aren’t either. Might be some bargains about then?

ChrisCB
45 minutes ago, Tex said:

Interestingly, or not - you decide - all Triumphs made since 1990 (Hinckley then) are listed as compatible with E10. Now, they began with fuel injection for the 1999 model year which means the 1990 - 1998 models had carburettors. I can only imagine that it’s because E10 has existed in the USA for many years and Triumph was always keen to export there?

My daughter’s flat mate has an early MX-5, not compatible with E10 :( and my old favourites the MGF and TF aren’t either. Might be some bargains about then?

My friends Sprint ST failed an MOT as the fuel tank had swelled that much the handlebars hit it on lock, Triumph told him to avoid E5 if storing for more than a month, offered him a new tank at a discount but still too expensive so chopped it in for a Kawasaki.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

My friends Sprint ST failed an MOT as the fuel tank had swelled that much the handlebars hit it on lock, Triumph told him to avoid E5 if storing for more than a month, offered him a new tank at a discount but still too expensive so chopped it in for a Kawasaki.

How peculiar. You would imagine a fuel tank as a vessel for storing fuel? I would, at least. But I am just a simple soul. It now raises a bigger question - how can these bikes be E10 suitable if the fuel tank swells up on E5? It seems the more I know the less I understand..  :( 

• Like 1
ChrisCB
Just now, Tex said:

How peculiar. You would imagine a fuel tank as a vessel for storing fuel? I would, at least. But I am just a simple soul. It now raises a bigger question - how can these bikes be E10 suitable if the fuel tank swells up on E5? It seems the more I know the less I understand..  :( 

I had a problem with the Speed triple I owned (briefly) I took the tank off to repair other gremlins and couldn't get the bolts in at the front of the frame to bolt it back down, others that suffer are HD's and Ducati's apparently.

• Thanks 1
On 08/09/2021 at 09:21, Tel said:

My wife filled her car yesterday and said she felt sick due to the smell of the new E10 'petrol'.

I got back from walking my dog just now and she was just leaving and the stink was awful and sickening.

What exactly is the additive they are using to dilute the petrol?

Has anybody else noticed this horrible aroma?

I now dread getting stuck in Blackwall Tunnel or gridlocked London traffic.:devil:

Yes noticed my bike's exhaust stank first morning startup after filling with E10 the day before,  seemed like the catalyst could not cope until warmed up.

No other problems yet though.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, skorpion said:

Yes noticed my bike's exhaust stank first morning startup after filling with E10 the day before,  seemed like the catalyst could not cope until warmed up.

No other problems yet though.

I've bit the bullet and will just use Super Unleaded in future [E5]. I rode over 20k miles/year when I was working but do so few miles now I'm retired it's not worth worrying about the higher cost/litre. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Chris750 said:

I had a problem with the Speed triple I owned (briefly) I took the tank off to repair other gremlins and couldn't get the bolts in at the front of the frame to bolt it back down, others that suffer are HD's and Ducati's apparently.

Had the same on both my Sprints ST's with plastic tanks, my later one (1050gt) had a metal tank, which Triumph said they fitted so a magnetic tank bag could be fitted, given it had massive top box and hard panniers I have a suspicion that may not have been the reason.

• Like 2

Triumph fuel tank swelling with ethonol fuel is well known 

The early Tiger plastic tanks started sofening /swelling as soon as E5 was introduced the plastic there made of is not ethonal proof

Early BMW r1200's  had white plastic inserts carring the fuel pumps  most cracked and there was a recall due to E5 !

Jap bikes are way less lightly to be a problem as they acctivly sell to south america whereethonal has been in use for years

• Thanks 1

It’s the same with the 1100RS and early 1100GS with plastic tanks. The Americans have had issues with tank swelling for years. Also, it dissolves glass fibre so original RE Continental tanks etc have to be lined. Super unleaded for me as long as I can.

• Thanks 1
BackMarker

Some Guzzi's have plastic or fibreglass tanks... I had a Breva 750, it was a b*gg*r getting the tank on and off, likewise the Breva 1100.

Hence, they had to go...

• 4 weeks later...
Gringo

I had to use E10 in the 250G5 today. No Super Unleaded E5 around..yet. My local garage said they're struggling to get it just now. I haven't gone too far on it yet so will see how she performs on the 7 mile trip to 'work' in the morning.

Johnnie Mototrans

I am sure it will run ok and most of the hype about disolving everything between your tank and the exhaust is exaggeration.

BUT.

And it's a big but.

I would be concerned about parking the bike up for any time with E10 left in the tank to go off.

• Like 2