Short Term PGM-FI Error

embattle

On Tuesday I was out on a ride and I stopped after riding for about 3 hours for some refreshments, I got back on and flicked up the side stand but the bike wouldn't start so I flicked down the side stand and up again and the bike started but this time the PGM-FI warning light stayed on the whole journey home. It didn't result in any different feeling from the bike and once home I turned the bike off for a minute then turned on the ignition and it came on and went out as usual, then the next day I went to the shops on my bike and it behaved as it should. I spoke to the garage and they aren't worried as they've heard of it happening before and I should only take it to them if it comes on again, any one else had it happen?

None of my newer Honda's have done this but on occasion my 05 Varadero will display exactly the same as you describe, the fault chart says side stand switch implausible signal, in other words it doesn't know if it's up or down.

Just the software having a scare. All those 0's and 1's then someone chucks a 2 in. Give the stand switch a clean. 

Andy

• 2 months later...

Seems I've had it twice again in the last two weeks, once after the side stand was down and today after I stopped for petrol after a long run when the side stand wasn't down. I did noticed that I got a flashing sign inside the gear number indicator on the LCD screen and the bike wouldn't start, turned it off and on again which allowed me to start it but the PGM-FI indicator stayed on until I got home and switched it on and off as well as covering the side stand in MO94.

• 1 month later...

It seems to be common practice to switch the ignition on and off a few times to clear this light after it has been triggered by something. In my case I think the battery was slightly low on charge and it gave the same behaviour. {After I had charged the battery}

• 9 months later...
On 22/12/2021 at 12:17, embattle said:

It might of been some corrosion around a few connectors one of which was quite bad, time will tell.

On 20/12/2021 at 12:57, embattle said:

Motorcycle is going into the shop on Wednesday to see if the diagnostic computer shows anything.

Hi there. I'm having the same issue with my 2020DCT. What did the shop say when you took it in? My battery seems fine so it's not that. Someone mentioned a sidestand sensor. Is that easy to find and clean? Thanks in advance! Take care. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2022 at 04:47, GjVan said:

Hi there. I'm having the same issue with my 2020DCT. What did the shop say when you took it in? My battery seems fine so it's not that. Someone mentioned a sidestand sensor. Is that easy to find and clean? Thanks in advance! Take care. 

Hi,

I did message you but not been around much so here is the same information. In essence the issues appear to of been caused by rusty electrical contacts.