2020 NC750 X Torque Setting Query

Broon

Planning to fit a set of Puig engine bars tomorrow ... does anyone know the correct torque settings for the front and rear engine mount bolts as the bars use these as mounting points ?

Thanks in advance.

MikeBike

Replaced bolts as per Service manual torque, otherwise use 54Nm for the M10 and 22Nm for the M8

Do one side first then the other for engine support.

Here are the instructions:

https://puig.tv/uploads/products/600288/6387/mounting-instructions.pdf

Edited by MikeBike

Thanks, was hoping to establish the quoted Honda torque figures from the service manual.  I don't have a copy of the Honda service manual.

Xactly
39 minutes ago, Xactly said:

54nm (40ft/lbs).

And 59nm for the larger nut. There’s no oval hole on the Puig so less wiggle room. Fit everything loosely on one side before tightening on that side. I found using the torque setting for the Allen bolts was too high and risked rounding them off. Use threadlock.

Steve Case

I run into this problem with the stuff I use at work, I went on google and did a search on torque settings and printed them off and stuck them on my wall.

The torque setting vary by the bolt strength i.e. 4.6, 8.8, 10.9 but other than that an M6 is an M6 and an M10 is an M10 where-ever they are fitted.

Most of the stuff I work with uses 8.8 so an M10 would be 55nm, however I'm not sure the chocolate screws fitted to the Honda is even rated so I would be cautious and use 4.6.

Xactly

The settings I quoted are from the official Honda service manual.

Steve Case

I don't doubt it, but I do doubt that the bolts and screws are of the strength class they give torque ratings for.

Xactly
1 hour ago, Steve Case said:

I don't doubt it, but I do doubt that the bolts and screws are of the strength class they give torque ratings for.

The Allen bolts supplied with the Puig bars certainly are not up to the specified torque. AFAIK the Honda engine mounting bolts are.

MatBin

I use the old fashioned method, if bolting into aluminium or welded nuts then tight enough without overtightening, can always be checked weekly/monthly rather than stripping threads. If a bolt and loose nut then as before but with a bit extra as can easily be replaced.

Trouble with torques settings is lots can affect the accuracy, not least is if your torque wrench is calibrated.

Mechanical sympathy is paramount.

Thanks for the feedback. Placed a jack under the engine, removed the two bolts (on the easy side) and offered up the Puug engine bars but just couldn't get the bracket holes to line up with the mounting holes. With the lower bolt only on a few threads and the bar bracket pushed against the bike the upper mount was at least 3 mm out. Eventually gave up, have sent the bars back and will order a set of Givi bars. The holes on the bar mounting  brackets are exact size of the bolt so no wriggle room and couldn't see anyway the top hole was ever going to align properly.

Bit if a disappointment. 

• Sad 2
Xactly
43 minutes ago, Broon said:

Thanks for the feedback. Placed a jack under the engine, removed the two bolts (on the easy side) and offered up the Puug engine bars but just couldn't get the bracket holes to line up with the mounting holes. With the lower bolt only on a few threads and the bar bracket pushed against the bike the upper mount was at least 3 mm out. Eventually gave up, have sent the bars back and will order a set of Givi bars. The holes on the bar mounting  brackets are exact size of the bolt so no wriggle room and couldn't see anyway the top hole was ever going to align properly.

Bit if a disappointment. 

Yes, I feel that that is a design weakness. Both Givi and the Russian ones I fitted first have slotted holes in the front fitting to allow a bit of adjustment. Fortunately in my case the Puig ones fitted perfectly. I wonder whether it’s the bars or the Hondas that vary in size……It’s a pity you couldn’t fit the Puigs as I like mine; they’re neater than the Russian ones but don’t have space for attaching lights etc, which doesn’t bother me.