Intermittent starting issue - NC700X

frazer99

Hi all, I've had my NC700x since 2016, happily no major problems to date although recently the bike has developed an intermittent starting issue. I have a new battery and starting from cold everything seems fine, starts up no problem. After a short run however, trying to start again its not firing up. Fuel pump seems to be priming - but I should check if its doing that everytime. It doesn't seem to make a difference if starting in N with the side sand up or down. I took it to my local garage but of course, the problem didn't present itself but riding home, parking on the drive and trying it again....sod's law it wouldn't start. After several goes, switching on off it does start again (currently). Anyone else had the same issue? 

Thanks.

• Confused 1

nightmare sorry pal ive not had that one sounds like it could be a bugger to get to bottom of

• Like 1
Andy m

When you say doesn't start, do you mean doesn't turn over or doesn't fire? 

Does the solenoid click? If not the problem is up towards the switch. 

Connect the battery negative to the engine case with a car starter jump lead. If that solves it the earth cable between engine and battery is corroded. 

Turns but doesn't fire? I'd be thinking coils or HTLeads. 

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks guys, after some more faffing this evening I managed to get the 'fault' to appear. So turning the ignition you can hear a relay (or is that the solenoid?) and the fuel pump prime - starts fine.

The fault with it not firing is when after turning the ignition the relay/fuel pump sound doesn't happen so it won't fire. I managed to replicate this a couple of times. Turn ignition off again and back on and the relay/fuel pump sound is there and it will fire up. So I guess its the connection to the fuel pump - is there a fuel pump relay? or perhaps a connection has corroded?

Edited by frazer99
update.

A further Q to the above. I noticed the issue was more frequent if i'd 'messed' with the side stand. From memory, can you start the NC700X with the side stand up and in gear with the clutch in? I wasn't able to do that this evening. It would only start in neutral - whether stand down or up. Could it be related to the side stand sensor or similar?

Scootabout
3 hours ago, frazer99 said:

A further Q to the above. I noticed the issue was more frequent if i'd 'messed' with the side stand. From memory, can you start the NC700X with the side stand up and in gear with the clutch in? I wasn't able to do that this evening. It would only start in neutral - whether stand down or up. Could it be related to the side stand sensor or similar?

You should be able to start it when in gear, with clutch in, yes. I'd guess the sidestand switch might be involved.  Maybe try spraying a bit of WD40 onto it, in case it's sticking?  Might have just got gummed up. 

Another thought, although I doubt it's relevant as you keep getting the issue in normal riding, is there's a cut-out mechanism if you topple the bike over.  I triggered it accidentally once and it took a while to figure out what to do. I can't actually quite remember, but I think I had to put it into neutral &/or switch the ignition off and on again. 

• Like 1
davebike

As Andy askes dose it turn but not start  or just not turn ????

• Like 1
1 hour ago, davebike said:

As Andy askes dose it turn but not start  or just not turn ????

Hi Dave, it turns but won't start. With Scootabout's response above I've been able to locate the issue. Will add another update to the thread.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Scootabout said:

You should be able to start it when in gear, with clutch in, yes. I'd guess the sidestand switch might be involved.  Maybe try spraying a bit of WD40 onto it, in case it's sticking?  Might have just got gummed up. 

Another thought, although I doubt it's relevant as you keep getting the issue in normal riding, is there's a cut-out mechanism if you topple the bike over.  I triggered it accidentally once and it took a while to figure out what to do. I can't actually quite remember, but I think I had to put it into neutral &/or switch the ignition off and on again. 

Thank you. After tinkering this morning it appears it is the side stand switch as you mentioned. It is pretty gummed up. After a bit of WD40 I was able to start in gear with the clutch in. If I give the side stand a good clean up over the weekend I reckon the problem should be sorted. Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated.

• Like 2