Original Dunlop tyres.

tomcat

Yesterday my NX750XD had its first service at 570 miles.

On collection of the bike my friend joked about the canvas of the front tyre showing. There was a patch deep in the tread of the tyre of pale brown of what looked like trapped leaf litter.

Washing the bike today, went to clear the leaf litter only to discover it IS the canvas of the tyre and it is showing deep in the tread around the front wheel!

Certainly a big shock on a 600 mile bike.

Has anyone else suffered the same? If you have, what was the reaction of the dealership?

Edited by tomcat
  • Sad 2
Rocker66

That is completely unacceptable unless of course somewhere on the way home you rode over something sharp that cut a it out of the tyre. It will be interesting to read of the dealers response

Edited by Rocker66
alhendo1

Good grief! Well, I'm a kind of "glass half full" person, so good spot by your mate👍... It could have gone unnoticed with dire consequence. From your text, it would seem it was spotted on pickup from the dealer, who if they've been on the ball, should have spotted that easily enough... If it's a main Honda dealer they usually have a green, Amber, red ticklist to be adhered to. 

As per Rockers post, I'd be contacting them to see what they have to say. Does it look like it's had a chunk out it (could've happened by accident)  or perhaps starting to delaminate in places?

Andy m

I hope they do the decent thing. I really can't imagine anything you could do in 500 miles that would result in this, it has to be a bad tyre. 

The Brazilian Dunaplops they fit OE are cheapest of the cheap and IMHO utter ****. I really can see them making and shipping duffers given the third world conditions and expectations of the Brazilian market, but you'd expect Honda to spot them on the production line. 

If the dealer does decide to be a **** and blame some freak event where you fail failed to notice you'd ridden over a combine harvester, don't let them sell you new Dunaplops even at a discount, upgrade to Michelin or Avon or similar. 

I'm bad 😈 I removed the Dunaplops at 150 miles, did 8000 on Heidenaus then refitted and sold it to a Honda dealer just like new 😈 Half wished I hadn't riding back in the rain after making the deal. Three words: dry cleaning bill. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dunlop/Goodyear have examined my tyres and immediately, without prompting offered to fund alternative tyres.

I can't fault the quality of their after sales department. They contacted me straight away and put things into motion.

• Like 5

gold call by the tyre makers. Plus it allows you to get something decent.