Mainstand

davebike

I gotmoy bike with 2200 miles on it and about 18 mounths old

For the past few mounths the mainstand has tended to get stiff but a good spray of penertrating oil exercising and some chain lub has stoped it getting worse

Today I decided to sort it  exhaust can off to give access one screw and no the pin is free or rather not lot penertrating oil and a blind bearing pull got it out but!!!

pin was rusty at the far (RHS) end  cleaned it luberacated with ample MS3 chassis grease and returned springs are fun

May I recomend if you have a main stand that YOU did not fit removing it and lubing at first sign of stiffness grease is from mine not a favered item by Honda dealers!

Grumpy old man

I do mine at least once every 12 months, I use the main stand all the time which I think stops it from seizing. A cam strap from the swing arm to the spring makes fitting the springs reasonable easy.

I drilled the centre on the fist Integra and welded a lump of steel to it, drilled and tapped for a grease nipple..Bingo no more Honda centre stand problems..

Did this when new and in a location that i could get to when on the stand.

Edited by kayz1
Empty_Ten

I’ve just had the 16k service on mine (10 days short of being a year old!)

I’d read up that the main stand could be problematic and people retrofitting grease nipples etc

i asked the chap who serviced it (ex Honda and Triumph factory technician who now runs his own workshop) whether he’d recommend doing something like that.

His advice was to keep the stand clean, and the occasional Squirt of WD40, GT85 etc on the centre stand pin.  He also said that frequent use of the stand would help as well which works out well for me as I use it 99% of the time.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've recently acquired a 2018 NC750X DCT with a centre stand fitted, it pushes down freely enough but I can't for the hell of it get it up on the stand.  I don't know if it is an original Honda or an aftermarket special off the internet?  it's as if the stand is too long to be able to get it down far enough for the bike to then ride up and over.  I don't think its a strength thing as I have until recently been hoiking a FJR 1300 up onto its centre stand!

Is there a knack to this?

Many thanks

Paul

Johnnie Mototrans

It might have been lowered for a shorter legged rider which is quite common.

The fix is to put it back up or source the slightly lower stand from the non X model.

Does it look like the forks are pushed up in the yoke?

Bostedsprocket

I have a 2015 750x, i fitted an aftermarket centre stand £110  off that auction site we all love/hate, no brand probably one of China's finest, and i have to admit it is quite hard to get on the stand, im a pro bike tech and am working on and moving bikes around all day so i got the centre stand technique down to a T. my last bike was a triumph tiger 955i and much taller, heavier than the NC, but went up and over onto the main stand much easier.  

I have a OEM stand I think, and no there not easy 

I see a lot of NC's most are not easy to put on the mainstand but a few are nearly impossiable as they are lowered with the standard stand !

My 2020 NC750X has the official Honda stand. I find now that I’m getting feak and weeble that I risk straining something putting the bike on its stand. As it is something I only do when parking in the garage a friend of mine came up with a solution. He has a VFR 800, similar to the Crossrunner I used to have that really was a swine to put on its stand.

Basically he screwed two pieces of chipboard together, one slightly shorter than the other, and chamfered the pieces at one end. At the other end he screwed a piece of steel at right angles to the chipboard sheet to act as a stop. The whole thing was then painted.

It was so successful he made me one as he had sufficient bits left over. Basically all I do now is align the device in front of the front wheel. Lift the bike off its side stand and run it up the ramp. Then I push down on the mainstand and up it goes onto the stand, after which I withdraw the device from under the front tyre. Effectively it’s the same as putting the bike on its main stand with the bike on an uphill slope, which is easier than on the level. It works a treat (even on the Crossrunner) and has to be one of the most useful gadgets I’ve got in the garage. I use it on my NC, which has a reasonable main stand anyway, at least without panniers on the bike, and also on my Moto Guzzi, which has a mainstand which is a bit awkward but is a cinch to use with the gadget.

A cheap and effective solution, but only for garage use.

• Like 1

Hi thanks all for the comments and advice.  Thinking about it I am flat footed when stopped and only have a 29-30 inch inside leg so the suggestion that the bike may have lowered may well be on the mark.  Will get underneath next weekend and investigate. 

Thanks again

Empty_Ten
On 06/12/2021 at 19:26, Manxman said:

Hi thanks all for the comments and advice.  Thinking about it I am flat footed when stopped and only have a 29-30 inch inside leg so the suggestion that the bike may have lowered may well be on the mark.  Will get underneath next weekend and investigate. 

Thanks again

Yes, definitely sounds like it's lowered.  I've the same length inseam and am right on my tip toes on mine (2020 model, same as 2018 apart from colours).

The solution is either to restore it back to factory seat height or get the NC750S Main Stand.  You could try using the spacer block of wood as suggested by Xactly, but it is not a convenient solution if out and about etc.

Edited by Empty_Ten

SW-Motech stand is perfect for the NC.  That's what is fitted to my late 2017 model. 👍👍😊

• 2 weeks later...

I too found the centrestand on my 2014 nc750s very hard to use until I found out that the bike had been lowered. With the correct standard  parts fitted, not only is it a doddle to put on the centrestand but also the rear suspension actually feels like it is doing something now, the ride is so much more comfortable than it was.

• 6 months later...
Jamesc

Please don't click on those links Folks 

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Slowboy
1 hour ago, Steve Case said:

https://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/28420-hagon-interested-in-making-a-shock-for-2021-onward/&do=getNewComment

Thats the link I just copied to the Hagon shock question how do I spot differences?

Only one post, a demand for quick responses but no specific issue mentioned, classic bot fishing😁

• Like 2
Steve Case

Yup fair point it looked suspicious but the link does not look to be compromised

I'm going to have to think about a better anti-spammer question, on sign-up!

• Haha 4
Steve Case

Anyway on the centerstand use I find being tall and well rounded has it benefits as gravity exerts a 1000N of force on the center stand lever.

Gravity mind not me, I'm just there for support.

• Haha 2