Service Video

Xactly

Although for me it goes very much against the grain, today I had my one year old NC750X serviced, having done the first service myself and a lot more besides (valve clearances, coolant change etc). The reason

is that my NC rattles a lot (in my opinion); the rattle disappears when the clutch lever is pulled in (manual). I mentioned this to the dealer and after the service was told that it as normal. Fine, at least now I have it on the Honda system that I have raised a concern about it.

What surprised me is that the service technicians made a video of their inspection of the bike. Apparently it’s to avoid the situation where a customer argues that a replaced part didn’t need replacing. I was told that all Honda dealers now do it. 
Well I never; I’ve now got a nice little video of my bike inspection, telling me what I knew already.

Shame they over-tightened the chain…

Normal service (by yours truly) will now be resumed.

• Like 2
jeremyr62

Clutch basket rattle is endemic. As long as it goes away when you pull the clutch in you are OK.

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jeremyr62 said:

Clutch basket rattle is endemic. As long as it goes away when you pull the clutch in you are OK.

Thanks; that’s what I thought but as it’s still under warranty I thought I’d better cover myself. I won’t be paying for a service again….

Car dealers have been doing this for a while I believe. Neither of my 2 cars or my bike were videod during their service this year though, probably because I did them. :)

Edited by MatBin
Empty_Ten

Hmmm, didn’t get this with either of my first two NC services at the main dealer  :ermm:

I have stopped using them though.

With my old Fireblade, the guy who did the major service took pictures of it disassembled and pics of the shims he used.  As well as showing me the old spark plugs and explaining why he advised changing them on inspection.  Great guy, shame he’s far away from me as I’d happily keep using him.

Andy m

On the one hand the video prevents the "teleporter" method of "changing" spark plugs as used by Appleyards Suzuki, on the other it reinforces such practices as spraying shocks with WD-40 prior to starting the camera and claiming it needed changing. Swings and roundabouts IMHO and you still need to look for mechanics who won't entertain this ****. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3

Given the charge of £170 and that the video told me what I knew already (that at 2,000 miles or so nothing was significantly worn apart from the sh*te  rear tyre) I can only assume they need the money for their Equity membership…..And what is it with service technicians and chain tension?  Are they on commission?

Grrrrrr

alhendo1

Mrs Alhendo1s Audi went in for a service...as per your post, a nice wee video of the underside etc showing all in order. A quick pause and resume into the cabin showed an oil level requiring a top up...generic screen.....she declined and lo and behold back on the driveway at home the oil level showed full/ok....call me a cynic etc.....

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

Mrs Alhendo1s Audi went in for a service...as per your post, a nice wee video of the underside etc showing all in order. A quick pause and resume into the cabin showed an oil level requiring a top up...generic screen.....she declined and lo and behold back on the driveway at home the oil level showed full/ok....call me a cynic etc.....

Christ! What sort of ‘service’ doesn’t include topping up the oil? 

alhendo1
16 minutes ago, Tex said:

Christ! What sort of ‘service’ doesn’t include topping up the oil? 

I might have got my wires crossed a bit..I think it was in for a recall to get something altered and they "happened" to notice the oil was slightly low....hence the generous offer to top it up for a fee😉.....it gets a wee video any time it's in...

• Thanks 1
alhendo1
1 minute ago, alhendo1 said:

I might have got my wires crossed a bit..I think it was in for a recall to get something altered and they "happened" to notice the oil was slightly low....hence the generous offer to top it up for a fee😉.....it gets a wee video any time it's in...

I think it was a shot of another Q5s screen that had the low oil as there was nothing to ID it was her car/screen...

Edited by alhendo1
  • Sad 1
jeremyr62

Blimey, the car trade never fails to disappoint. 

• Haha 1

In 1977 my first brand new car (Opel Manta) needed a service, they showed me the points and condenser that needed to be changed, nothing unusual for that era of car, except I had them  replace all those parts with Lumenition contactless light beam 'points' before I took delivery.

I asked the dealer to show me where the points were as I was young and didn't know about these things.

So, out we trotted, lifted the bonnet lifted the distributor cap and silence. :)

Then a refund for parts and labour.

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
23 hours ago, Andy m said:

you still need to look for mechanics who won't entertain this ****. 

Andy

100% agree. 

Coincidentally I've just today dropped my GSXR1000K1 off with Mark at In Chains for 'the full works' + tyres and chain & sprockets ready for when I get back from holiday. 

I'd already bought the c&s, oil and air filters as was gonna do it myself but 18 months later I've still not been #rsed so over to a guy I trust who will do a better job anyway. He's even going to do brake fluid, fork oil and valve check/adjust, if required, as although its only done 13k miles it is nearly 20 years old and I only have service history for the first five years, 8k miles. 

As an example he said ' a coupe of hundred' to check valve clearances, another £150-£200 depending if any need adjustment and I trust him not to bill me for adjustment he doesn't do. 

Likewise tyres, I'm well out of touch with sports bike tyres (in fact anything sports bike!) and going with his suggestion of something that will warm up quickly on the road, not cost a fortune and still be okay if I do decide to traumatise myself taking it on a track day. Hopefully I won't turn up to collect it and find he's gone for a pair of Speedmasters 🤣

• Like 2
ChrisCB

I was at the sharp end of Audi Cam at its launch around 2012 and was one of the designated techs to carry them out, initially the customer was asked if they wanted to take part in it at the booking phase, at the start it wasn't online videos but the customer was taken into an office then introduced to the Tech who was dressed in like a policeman's utility jacket that had the battery, mic and transmitter in it, the customer was sat in front of a screen and mic and could ask questions as the Tech went through the initial safety check. Then it was revamped with handheld recorders that were uploaded on the system so the service advisors could forward to the customer, the service dept had to hit a percentage of cams per monthly vehicle through put to hit their bonus,  the techs would get paid extra for every ten cams they did and also for the sale of orange or red flagged work, this opened the floodgates for scams! Some of which would make your toes curl! This included, but not limited to, removing bulbs and pushing heads of screws into tread on tyres to look like punctures! So what seems like building trust with the customer by letting them view their cars in service turned into money making scams as is usual in the motor trade, glad I'm out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I was working at a place, a remote site, and one of the corporate tools suggested a camera would be a good idea for site visits.

So out comes Mr Corporate Tool dressed up like action man as above, with much fanfare headed outside for a test in the 50 Deg C heat...both he and the camera lasted not more than 5 minutes 😆 it was a good day

Edited by Jamesco
  • Haha 2

Well, there’s a lot there that has passed me by. I’ll definitely continue to do it myself after the first service on the Guzzi. I should have serviced the NC myself too and saved myself over £100 in exchange for what will probably never happen - warranty claim. Oh well, at least I now have a 360 degree video of my Honda….

• 2 weeks later...
Honda Bob

Speaking as someone with over 50 years in the motor trade just be careful what you expect from a service at a Main Dealers. If the service sheet say "Check", that is exactly what the Technician does as there is no mention of "Rectify". That decision is always left up to the owner/customer. So if it says "Check oil level" that is all that the Technician will do as there is no mention of adjusting the oil level to Maximum. After a service the Service Manager should then go through the Technicians report sheet and ask the customer if he would like to book the vehicle in for the rectifications highlighted to be carried out? It is to stop arguments along the lines of "I did not authorise this extra work to be carried out so I am not paying for it".  

• Like 1
Rocker66
20 minutes ago, Honda Bob said:

Speaking as someone with over 50 years in the motor trade just be careful what you expect from a service at a Main Dealers. If the service sheet say "Check", that is exactly what the Technician does as there is no mention of "Rectify". That decision is always left up to the owner/customer. So if it says "Check oil level" that is all that the Technician will do as there is no mention of adjusting the oil level to Maximum. After a service the Service Manager should then go through the Technicians report sheet and ask the customer if he would like to book the vehicle in for the rectifications highlighted to be carried out? It is to stop arguments along the lines of "I did not authorise this extra work to be carried out so I am not paying for it".  

When I have a service done I always say anything that won’t last until the next service please replace unless it’s really expensive ( eg tyres) in which case please contact me. Often when I get the bike the technician will say I have adjusted a certain item. This has always worked for me and I’m positive that I have never been ripped off. This worked especially well  when I was working as it meant I didn’t have to use a rest day between services to get a job done. 
The above is yet another reason to find a dealer that you trust and stick with them.