Where it is coming from?

Lourence

Hi, thanks for allowing me to be part of this forum! I noticed a lot of oil at the top of valve cover but cannot see where it is coming from. The gasket looks in order. Is it coming from the breather pipe?

I have a 2014 Honda NC750 XD.

Thanks in advance.

Lourence

Grumpy old man

Hi Lourence  and :welcome: to the forum.

There's a few possibilities There's the breather that goes to the air filter from the rocker cover the air filter drain pipe you can see from the left side of the bike, it could also be from the rocker cover bolts that have rubber seals. It's  easier to take the radiator off to have a look round.

Good luck.

Ps- Has it just started, have you done any work on it and how many miles has the bike done.

• Like 1

Thanks for responding! I only noticed it yesterday. I bought it about 5 months ago and it was serviced on 25165 miles in April. It is due for service on 28272 miles and currently standing on 27340. I have taken photos but do not know how to load it on here.

Grumpy old man

Hi, if you go to the forum help section there are threads on there telling how to post pictures. 

Service intervals are every 8000 miles or 12 months. 

If it's on top of the valve cover it has to be from the breather pipe or the seals on the bolts that hold the valve cover on.

If the valves were done on the last Service than perhaps the seals were not put on correctly or the pipe hasn't been fitted properly or damaged.

Best advice I can give is take the radiator off and examine even see if you can see anything with a torch. Hopefully somebody else will suggest something. 

Good luck

• Like 1
Steve Case

Actually if its on the rear left of the rocker then its probably the breather has not been sealed back up after draining.

Get a torch and check behind the radiator to the left of the fan (nearside), you should be able to see the pipe on the same plastic clip as the electrical connectors.

It should not be open at the end, I'll see if I can get a piccy of mine.

• Like 1
Rocker66
29 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

Nope no can do the piccy

Go to post image (its free)  when you have done that click the upload button and select your picture. With choose images button. Once your picture has uploaded you will see a selection of option. Highlight the one that says Direct Link and save it. All you have to do then is paste it in your post. That probably sounds more complicated than it actually is.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
Steve Case

Radiator is in front of my finger, you can see the head steady and cam cover below the pipe and the frame rail to the left

Steve, I had some oil in it which I then cleaned out. I noticed that the other bigger pipe that enters on the other side of the front top of the head was not connected at all to its other point just under the filter box. Could this have caused oil to leak over some period ot time?

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
18 minutes ago, Lourence said:

Steve, I had some oil in it which I then cleaned out. I noticed that the other bigger pipe that enters on the other side of the front top of the head was not connected at all to its other point just under the filter box. Could this have caused oil to leak over some period ot time?

Yes. That's the oil breather to the air filter.

I would say That's your problem. It was the 1st thing I mentioned. 👍

Steve Case

Sorry yes my description is wrong my pipe was the airbox drain and then there is the breather connecting airbox and cylinder head

• Like 1