Rusty exhaust silencer

robotwoseven

robotwoseven

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else on here has noticed whether their exhaust silencer has started to rust.

I got my bike, a 2021 NC750X, in May this year and therefore was, to put it mildly, disappointed to discover that the body of the silencer, the bit painted black, has extensive rust showing through the paint.  To see the full extent I had to remove the heat shield first.  It appears to be mainly along the welds and may therefore be down to the metal not having been passivated properly after welding.  I assume it is stainless, although it is magnetic, so might be a ferritic stainless.  Anyway, if it is stainless it will only be a cosmetic issue and not structural one.  However, after such a short time and after only being ridden in the wet once and always garaged, it is not something I would have expected to find on such a new Honda.  Not sure if it is the same exhaust as earlier models, but I thought here was the ideal best place to get a better picture.  Note, I have been on to Honda who literally don’t want to know, in fact worse than that, they have implied it must be down to negligence on my part.  My Wife can’t believe that they would even think that, as she is always telling people that I lavish far more attention on my bike than her.

jeremyr62

Don't think it is stainless of any variety. I repainted mine when it started to go. I have a 2016 model with the current exhaust shape.

poldark

Had my 2017 NCX rusted exhaust replaced under warranty, just before the two years were up 

It's very thinly painted, I'd only spotted it as I took off the stainless heel protector to clean it, as the patch was underneath.  Another reason to clean/maintain your own machine.

• Like 1
Empty_Ten

I don’t think this is an uncommon issue.  The bike is Built to a budget and the powder coating/anodising is paper thin.

I ACF/XCP mine and though I’m sure it has helped, I’ve still had flecks of the coating it come off as well as flecks of rust.  I probably do a lot more miles than the average person though. 

I had an aftermarket exhaust installed from purchase so I can’t give much feedback on the stock muffler  I sold mine to someone who had a 2019 model and had the same problem (rusted to hell).  Like you, Honda didn’t have the slightest interest and also insinuated user/owner neglect.  

Pretty poor behaviour from the dealer to be honest, even more so for you as yours isn’t even 6 months old.  

Edited by Empty_Ten
1 hour ago, robotwoseven said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else on here has noticed whether their exhaust silencer has started to rust.

I got my bike, a 2021 NC750X, in May this year and therefore was, to put it mildly, disappointed to discover that the body of the silencer, the bit painted black, has extensive rust showing through the paint.  To see the full extent I had to remove the heat shield first.  It appears to be mainly along the welds and may therefore be down to the metal not having been passivated properly after welding.  I assume it is stainless, although it is magnetic, so might be a ferritic stainless.  Anyway, if it is stainless it will only be a cosmetic issue and not structural one.  However, after such a short time and after only being ridden in the wet once and always garaged, it is not something I would have expected to find on such a new Honda.  Not sure if it is the same exhaust as earlier models, but I thought here was the ideal best place to get a better picture.  Note, I have been on to Honda who literally don’t want to know, in fact worse than that, they have implied it must be down to negligence on my part.  My Wife can’t believe that they would even think that, as she is always telling people that I lavish far more attention on my bike than her.

Hammerite KuRust...!

• Like 1
jeremyr62

If the bike is used daily I can see this not being a major problem. It's when the bike is used intermittently (like 99% of them I expect) and then stands around uncleaned when the salty water gets to do its magic. Not like it's a new problem. Budget bike, budget exhaust. The header is stainless of a sort only cos it contains the catalytic converter. Can I mention CB250N balance boxes...

• Like 1

Yes, they're built down to a price (and nowhere near the quality of a Crossrunner, for example). Forwarned is forearmed so I gave the steel swinging arm (another low grade piece of wotsit) on mine a good protective coating before I used it on the road. If the silencer has already been exposed to salt untreated, it's probably too late. TBH it didn't bother me because an early mod was to replace the hideous thing with a superb quality titanium silencer that is legal, lighter, really well made (Skorpion), British and looks and sounds ace. I've kept the original unmarked Honda monstrosity just in case the original equipment fascists win the day.

• Like 1
alhendo1

I had the same problem with my 17 plate NC750x. I approached my local Honda dealer (within warranty period) and they replaced it without quibble. I had bought the bike from a different Honda dealer which made no difference. The salesman I dealt with said they were prone to this and he'd seen a few replaced.

Was it a Honda dealer you spoke to or Honda UK themselves?....I wouldn't be letting it go at that....if it was a dealer and they're unwilling to budge I'd either try another or get onto Honda UK...they're a poorly made item but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be replacing them. Hope you get a result.

Steve Case

Silencer is mild steel with a snot thin layer of black paint, pretty sure the down pipes are stainless and the cat looks like a casting (steel?).

I've repainted my silencer once already. I suspect they think everyone is going to fit a slip on anyway.

• Like 1
robotwoseven

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I have been dealing with both dealer and Honda UK,  oh and the AA.  It's a long story, but the bike broke down in the rain.  Honda sent the AA to recover it to the Dealership.  There it sat for 29 days waiting for a spare part.  When I collected it, I found the frame was damaged where a tie down strap had been used, it was also scratched in a couple of places.  It was whilst I was inspecting it for other damage that I noticed the rust on the exhaust.  The Dealer inspected the bike and sent a report to Honda UK, essentially saying scratches were down to the AA and I would have to pursue this separately with them, and the rusty exhaust was due to my negligence.  This was based on the fact the bike was a little dirty when it was recovered.  My justification for that was that it had broken down whilst riding in the rain on dirty roads and that I had not thought to clean it prior to it being recovered, who would?  This of course has been conveniently ignored.  To add salt to the wound, the AA even sent me a photograph taken by their patrolman when the bike had been loaded on the trailer.  This clearly shows the strap attached exactly where some of the damage had occurred and guess what.  The AA have also rejected my claim.  I am beginning to think no one has any integrity any more.  Perhaps Honda and the AA have been taken over by Arthur Daly, its the only logical explanation I can come to.  Anyway, I shall be pursuing this to the bitter end, but it is useful to hear that exhaust issues are not uncommon which might help me counter the negligence claim. 

• Grrr 1
  • Thanks 1
poldark

Forget the dealer, call Honda (UK) customer service directly, they were really helpful and they'll effectively tell the dealer what to do (not that I had that issue)

Edited by poldark
  • 2 weeks later...
Mark Elliot

Got mine replaced under warranty no probs 4 months ago and the new one is rusting already 2020 model. Its due its 16000 mile service shortly so I'll be demanding another one under warranty. Its really poor tbh and its not as if I don't clean it regularly and ACF it. Honda's not what they used to be.

Steveg

I had replacement exhaust silencer and swing arm under warranty on my 2019 nc750x along with wheel bearing rear 

Cheers Steveg

• 2 months later...

My 2021 NC has just gone in for its 8000 mile service and the dealer has taken photographs of the peeling black paint under the heat shield, he’s expecting that Honda can’t wriggle out of a warranty replacement as there’s no way it could have been damaged with it being under the shield. He also noted the rusting along the welds but said Honda would say that was down to negligence. Watch this space!!
Really hope the OP gets a good outcome

jeremyr62

I have just taken mine off and it's doing the same. Mine has been repainted a few times too, but its been ridden through a couple of winters so it's not doing too badly.