HDS Pocket Tester?

stvlas

Hi There Guys,

Does anyone know a good source online where I can source a HDS Pocket Tester to read PGM-FI fault codes?   My bike is running fine, but the orange engine light has come on and stays on.  Sure I can go to the dealer, but I like to see the source of the fault and if it's minor or major.  Also be able to cancel it....... 

Stvlas.....

Hi Argyll,

Think I'll just clear the memory codes with a cheap SCS Shorting tool I've ordered and see if the engine light returns.  Tried to get the mil code to flash with side stand down method, but the engine light just stays on without blinking?

Hi Argyll,

Sorry, been away..... Does disconnecting the battery clear the engine light??

Argyll

It's one of those things that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Not actually motorcycle ecu specific but always worth a try.

Hi Argyll,

Disconnected the battery.  Light still on.  As I said, bike is running fine so I presume it is either a legacy light or just a momentary glitch that threw on the light.  Either way I have the adapter for clearing and reading fault codes ordered so I will know soon enough.

Cheers......

• Like 1
davebike

Iuse a honda to OBD2 converter a OBD2 bluetooth unit and Torque pro on my Tablet/phone

I leave the adaptor and bluetooth unit inplace above the battery so just run Torque to clear a code or look at real time information

Honda Bob

I worked in the Automotive Diagnostics industry for many years and the software engineers always told me that to Delete DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and extinguish the dashboard warning light, all the diagnostic handset did was to earth the ECU memory chip. If you had the diagnostic equipment, and not the specific vehicle application, all you needed to do was to completely disconnect the vehicle battery, connect the Positive and Negative leads together, or earth the Positive lead, and turn on the ignition. This would then erase all of the DTC's in the ECU, but would not affect the programming. I have done it on lots of different vehicles including Honda Motorcycles and it has always worked for me. Just remember to completely disconnect or remove the battery before carrying out the procedure. Every vehicle has to comply with EOBD (European On Board Diagnostics) Regulations hence the reason for the DTC erasure process being exactly the same on all vehicles.

• Thanks 3
Xactly

That is really interesting, thanks. I have a V7 850 Moto-Guzzi that I want to home service myself (easy to do). The problem is that it has a service indicator light (the infamous little orange spanner) that apparently requires the official Piaggio diagnostic tool to turn off after a service has been completed. My question is this: does your method work only for stored fault codes or would it also work for a service light indicator? AFAIK the ECU is OBD2-compliant (though whether or not this is the case I don’t know. I did read in Ride magazine a while ago that the requirement for motorcycles to be fully compliant was deferred because engine vibration was causing false positives on misfire detection).

Honda Bob

Sorry I have no idea if the method works with Service Indicator Lights. I do know that the original BMW Mini's had a concealed switch under the handbrake lever that you pressed to extinguish the Service Indicator Light, so it could very well do. It's worth a try. The other reason why I carry out this procedure is because an Engine Management ECU will save faults in it's memory until it reaches a pre determined amount of the same fault, then it will put the dash board DTC fault Light on and put the Engine Management ECU into Limp Home Mode. If you erase the memory every servicing it prevents spurious codes mounting up and then putting your ECU into Limp Home Mode at the most inconvenient moment, for instance  150 miles from home late at night. The other reason for the procedure is that an Engine Management ECU has a "Self Learn" facility that allows it to learn how you ride and operate the throttle etc. When any vehicle is serviced and the DTC's erased the ECU goes back to the manufacturers default  setting and begins the relearn process all over again. This normally means that the engine is then on Max Power for any throttle opening and the owner notices this and comments that it runs brilliantly after a servicing. I do a lot with motorcycle sport and the Superbike Ducati's have a button on the dash that the rider presses when he comes to the start line which does exactly the same and gives him a couple of BHP more at the beginning of the race. I learnt a lot during my time with the software engineers and it took a lot of the mystique out of electronic control systems fitted to vehicles.

• Thanks 2
Xactly

Thanks for the detailed reply; I rather suspect your procedure will erase stored faults only (which is useful anyway). It seems nobody has yet found any way of resetting the service indicator other than via the Piaggio diagnostic reader, which is very expensive and apparently requires a subscription to use….Once again, thanks for your time in replying.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Whilst in the process of cleaning the Nc750X today and doing some other jobs, including priming the scottoiler, I’ve managed to get the MIL light (engine management light) to illuminate. 😔 Yes, I did! (Run the engine on the centre stand in gear). 🤗
I consider myself chastised enough by the MIL light. But feel free to burden me with more p*** taking. 

After searching and reading a few threads, I have ordered one of the Pocket testers as recommended above by Argyll. 
my question therefore is…….

Where do I plug it into please? Had a brief look in the battery compartment but nothing immediately obvious. Don’t have a paper owners manual. I’ve had and will have another look on the downloadable one, but any reference to the MIL light, just says to take it to the dealer. 
thanks.

Yours

Complete numpty. 

1 hour ago, Skidt said:

Greetings all,

Whilst in the process of cleaning the Nc750X today and doing some other jobs, including priming the scottoiler, I’ve managed to get the MIL light (engine management light) to illuminate. 😔 Yes, I did! (Run the engine on the centre stand in gear). 🤗
I consider myself chastised enough by the MIL light. But feel free to burden me with more p*** taking. 

After searching and reading a few threads, I have ordered one of the Pocket testers as recommended above by Argyll. 
my question therefore is…….

Where do I plug it into please? Had a brief look in the battery compartment but nothing immediately obvious. Don’t have a paper owners manual. I’ve had and will have another look on the downloadable one, but any reference to the MIL light, just says to take it to the dealer. 
thanks.

Yours

Complete numpty. 

Not sure why you want to test your pocket but there's a red connector in the frunk on my 2020 NC750X above the battery IIRC.

😔 Should have said an OBD FI scanner, rather than a pocket tester.

thanks @Xactly

Well, the OBD FI scanner should be delivered today. Fortunately the warning light extinguished itself yesterday after an hours ride or so. 
So if your engine warning / MIL light comes on in the future, maybe worth taking it for a decent ride BEFORE spending any money on scanners or taking it to Honda. 🙄

Still, at least I now know that I can be lazy again in the future and lube the chain on the centre stand with the engine running. 😁

• Like 2

Glad it's sorted. Personally with a centre stand I don't see the need to use the engine to oil the chain. I just turn my wheel slowly while my Scottoiler oils it for me, using the prime function. I do this after I've cleaned the bike; otherwise I just leave the chain oiler to do its thing. I learned a long time ago never to run an engine in gear on its mainstand, not that I'm suggesting you did...

• Sigh 1
listener
1 hour ago, Xactly said:

I learned a long time ago never to run an engine in gear on its mainstand, not that I'm suggesting you did...

It's great way to lose fingers - or other body parts! :blink::no:

• Like 1