B*** punture

davebike

fred_jb
20 hours ago, Andy m said:

If you strip the case off a cheap nasty (or Halfords) electric compressor, the guts will fit in the palm of one hand. The plastic box is full of air so Captain Volvo won't burn his pinkies or not be able to save the carpet in the boot with a quick wipe. As we'll be wearing gloves it's not such a hazard. 

Andy

You need to be careful doing that as the wires can be exposed to getting shorted and/or tangling with the mechanism and its rotating parts, which in some cases include a fan.  The pressure gauge can also fall off if only held in place by the case. I investigated stripping my RAC type one down but in the end bought a mechanism only type which had some rudimentary shields to minimise the possibility of problems.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2022 at 14:02, John Tatt said:

Covered miles 000s  on professionally plugged tyres on the car with no problems.  But this thread got me thinking what I'd do if I got a puncture whilst out on the NC.  Currently I comfort myself with the notion that my cheapo Auto Aid policy will in no time at all turn out  a recovery vehicle suitable to take the bike and me home to a cup of hot soup and warm slippers. 
Then I think more likely several miserable hours waiting at the roadside and what if I'm in a remote area where the mobile signal is patchy.
So repair kit or crazy foam? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I pushed the boat out and treated myself to a 12V mini compressor £7.99 and sticky string tyre repair kit £3.25  Swapped the cigarette socket plug for croc clips to connect to battery. 

On 29/01/2022 at 14:00, John Tatt said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I pushed the boat out and treated myself to a 12V mini compressor £7.99 and sticky string tyre repair kit £3.25  Swapped the cigarette socket plug for croc clips to connect to battery. 

Probably a good idea. A few years ago I owned a BMW F800GT. That had a DIN socket. A friend had a puncture in the rear tyre of his Norton Commando. I offered to inflate his tube for him using my Tesco 12v mini compressor. Connected it up to the tyre, plugged it into the DIN socket, started my engine as a precaution against flattening my battery, then switched it on. Phut! Blew the BMW fuse……Obviously (now) the current draw from the mini compressor was more than the protective fuse for the BMW DIN was rated…Fortunately I had a spare fuse but IIRC it didn’t protect anything else on the Beemer anyway, so no damage done.

Getting the rear tyre puncture on the Commando fixed (in rural Brittany) was an epic in itself. The bike had to be recovered. At the place we were staying the heavy duty kit the owner had was insufficient to remove the tyre which seemed to have become “welded” to the alloy rim, so we ended up taking it to an agricultural repair place to get it off and fit a new tube….It had been on a long time…

larryblag
On 08/01/2022 at 09:43, Andy m said:

There is a theory/urban myth that the front flings stuff back, stirs the pot as it were, at angles that improve the chances of it sticking in the rear. 

Andy 

I've heard that too. To be honest the theory has some merit? 

• Like 1

Well it was what I was taught (Cough over 40) years ago an dI heard it from lots of sorces in the tyre buissness but who can really tell !

Andy m
13 hours ago, larryblag said:

I've heard that too. To be honest the theory has some merit? 

Seems to only apply to Motorcycles though? 

Still stands as seemingly possible though as other vehicles get punctures for reasons other than rubbish on the road, you'll not get many on bikes due to overloading, excessive wear, under pressure and all the other stuff you get away with when you have four or more tyres . Outfits equally never seem to burst the one on the chair. 

Andy 

• Like 2
larryblag
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Outfits equally never seem to burst the one on the chair. 

Andy 

That's because you always had it in the air @Andy m😂

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, Andy m said:

Seems to only apply to Motorcycles though? 

Still stands as seemingly possible though as other vehicles get punctures for reasons other than rubbish on the road, you'll not get many on bikes due to overloading, excessive wear, under pressure and all the other stuff you get away with when you have four or more tyres . Outfits equally never seem to burst the one on the chair. 

Andy 

Empirically from my own experience I’d agree that front tyre fling on a motorcycle is probably correct, but not on a car, possibly to do with the superior mudguarding on cars. I‘ve never had a front tyre puncture on a motorcycle but I have on cars and the only puncture I had on my outfit was in the sidecar inner tube. It was irreparable as the tube was ripped to shreds (cause or effect? Dunno). It nearly pulled my arms out of their sockets trying to keep the plot on a straight course with a heavily pregnant wife in the chair. Not nice.

• Sad 1
Slowboy

Only ever had one puncture on a front tyre, while I was riding to work on my Yamaha Townmate (superior C90 clone) to work. The loss of control nearly spread to my digestive tract, no steering, no front brake and suddenly 25mph seemed really quick. Luckily we ran over the grassy edge to the road and into a roadside hedge at about 10 to 15 mph. At least it meant we didn’t fall over……😳😂

I had two the first 40 odd years ago now seems funny not so at the time

TS100  two up  tight zigzag bridge tyre let go bike went into pub garden down a meter high drop to car park luckly empty

Cost us a round of drinks as we had demolished two tables scattering the drinkers  but made good friends ! only half a mile push home!

Latest one on the Fazer I had befor NC  hit a piece of wood on a fast road it had a nail in it fine until I got the end and had to turn first would not turn then would not strighten!   Nasty from speed, OK too much speed

I am very carefull with front tyres!

• Like 3