Screw identification

Banjoblue

Hi folks. I bought an adjustable sidestand foot from the states and it came with two different screws - see picture. They are both supposed to be M6 but one has a coarser thread than the other. The one with the coarse thread fits. Uk sourced M6 bolts have the finer thread. I’ve had a partial refund to source the screws myself but I’m struggling. Any thoughts? https://www.dropbox.com/s/64qaix2stf4o93z/Photo Feb 10%2C 10 29 30 AM.jpg?dl=0

Just now, jeremyr62 said:

The auction site surely??

I can’t identify the screw. M6 only gets me the fine thread one which doesn’t fit. 

jeremyr62

Just measure the length of 10 threads and calculate the pitch. One of them will probably be 1mm and the other less (0.75mm). That's assuming they are genuinely metric. The septics can be funny with fasteners.

Edited by jeremyr62
4 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

Just measure the length of 10 threads and calculate the pitch. One of them will probably be 1mm and the other less or more.

Yes. The one I want has 1mm thread pitch but all the M6 I’ve seen available have a finer thread pitch. I don’t know how to describe/order the one with the coarse thread. 

jeremyr62

OK. Look for M6X1 hex cap bolts  or screws on the auction site. I just looked. There are loads.

6 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

OK. Look for M6X1 hex cap bolts  or screws on the auction site. I just looked. There are loads.

Yep. Just ordered some. The last lot I ordered said they had the 1mm pitch but they didn’t which was why I was doubting my sanity! I had the thread gauge out, vernier gauge out, the works! 

wingrider.steve

If it's American the screws might be 1/4" UNC.

Edited by wingrider.steve

It is 1/4" UNC or witworth  cannot see the tread angle from the picture !

USA loves ond imperial threads  not the Withwourth is not a super thread !