Rust on abs ring

iaink

Any one had issues with rust on the abs ring on their NC ?

Looks like it is just galvanised.

Can it be painted with zinc galvanised paint and would the abs still work ok ?

Maybe it is time to change my bike  😀

Thanks

ChrisCB

Different bike but I painted my CBF1000 ABS rings with hammerite spray and no problems.

MikeBike
19 minutes ago, iaink said:

Any one had issues with rust on the abs ring on their NC ?

Looks like it is just galvanised.

Can it be painted with zinc galvanised paint and would the abs still work ok ?

Maybe it is time to change my bike  😀

Thanks

Yes, I had rust on mine. I reomived it, wire brushed it up and repainted with satin black paint. I don't think it's galvanised, just silver paint. I thought it looked better in black. It didn't rust again. I suspect just too little paint applied initially.

alhendo1

Yes..my 500x has it...I've just left it but might give it a wire brush at some point....see if I can shift it.

Thanks for replies.

3 hours ago, Chris750 said:

Different bike but I painted my CBF1000 ABS rings with hammerite spray and no problems.

Did the sensor work ok with the ring painted black ?

I wasn't sure if the silver colour was crucial for the sensor to work.

ChrisCB
10 minutes ago, iaink said:

Thanks for replies.

Did the sensor work ok with the ring painted black ?

I wasn't sure if the silver colour was crucial for the sensor to work.

Sorry I used a light coat of silver, a light coat should not alter the air gap enough to alter the magnetic field, I stand corrected when @Andy m comes along! 😂

• Like 1
MatBin
46 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

Sorry I used a light coat of silver, a light coat should not alter the air gap enough to alter the magnetic field, I stand corrected when @Andy m comes along! 😂

Had you given it a good proper hefty coat of Hamerite you probably would have filled the holes, that might have caused an issue :)

Johnnie Mototrans

What's the sensor?

If its a magnet then you would need to use some very metallic paint to confuse it.

If optical then you would need some very very very thick paint to confuse it.

Surely this is getting overthunk.

outrunner

I cleaned mine once and gave it a coat of clear laquer but it did not take too long to corrode again so I have just left it rusty, there is probably more rust on it now than there was paint when it was new.

Andy.

Andy m
8 hours ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

What's the sensor?

If its a magnet then you would need to use some very metallic paint to confuse it.

If optical then you would need some very very very thick paint to confuse it.

Surely this is getting overthunk.

ABS sensors are inductive. Just a coil that makes a low (0.3 - 1.5 V) AC signal. 

The pole wheels need to be conductive and have clear gaps. Any sort of insulation over the teeth or conductive material in the gaps reduces the clarity of the signal. The specs call for clear squared off edges and minimal (0.1 mm) run out. 

I wouldn't mess, if there is enough (non conductive) rust to give a bad signal they need replacing. ACF-50 the new ones. If you must use a brush, use a nylon or brass one, bits of random iron wire shrapnel embedded into the polewheel aren't great. Coatings need to be thin. If it is just cosmetic discolouration leave it alone, either go for a ride or take your OCD out on your bathroom. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
jeremyr62

Use a chelating rust remover if you must. Don't use an aggressive one with acid. Metal Rescue, Evapo-rust, Restore are some examples. In my experience these are fantastic at just taking off the rust and leaving the uncorroded steel alone. Or if you want to go cheap, Lyons black treacle (mechanism is the same) diluted with water also works but takes a lot longer.

Edited by jeremyr62
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Would silver conductive paint (you can buy a pen type applicator for circuit repair) work ok after derusting with Evaporust?

Andy m
40 minutes ago, djsb said:

Would silver conductive paint (you can buy a pen type applicator for circuit repair) work ok after derusting with Evaporust?

Can you apply it thinly enough and still protect the metal? Can you apply it evenly? Can you key the surface and do whatever prep is needed to make paint stay stuck? 

If you fill the gaps between teeth you won't get a signal. If instead hi-lo-hi.... the waveform is more hiiiiiiiiiiii-lo-hiiiiiiiiiii..., because the coating is uneven or flaking off, it'll ping the light (and the dozier sort of tech will read the code description and then change the wheel bearings). 

As someone who has never bought a new pole wheel, I have to say don't do it. Having seen the aftermarket mark up and can appreciate why you'd try. If the light goes off and stays off after reassembly it's job done, if not, get the paint stripper out. 

Andy 

Edited by Andy m

I used KuRust on mine when surface rust was spotted, no problems afterwards!

Trev

Ah the old rusty ring problem, can't believe I missed this when was first posted 😳

• Haha 4
rjp996

rubbed mine down a bit and black spray painted last time I had the wheel off - looked better for another year and worked fine :-), now the rest of the bike looks like an 80k+ mile commuter bike that's used hard and put away wet ;-)  - but its been a great bike

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I powder coated mine black along with the swingarm stands and crash bars

Andy m
11 hours ago, skes said:

Bad idea if the coating is plastic. You are adding a layer of magnetic insulation and narrowing)/rounding the gaps between teeth. If the coating is thin enough it will work but it will be less tolerant of airgap variation.

Andy 

alhendo1

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
SteveThackery
On 16/06/2022 at 09:52, Andy m said:

You are adding a layer of magnetic insulation

I thought plastics were transparent to magnetic fields? 

SteveThackery

I've been doing some research into this subject.  There is no such thing as a material which will block or resist magnetic fields.

All materials have a quality known as magnetic permeability.  A vacuum, and air, have a relative permeability of 1.  Magnetic materials like iron have a permeability greater than 1.  This means they "carry" a magnetic field more easily than a vacuum can. 

There is no material I can find that has a permeability significantly less than 1 (ie which resists a magnetic field more than air or a vacuum).  All the plastics I looked at have a permeability of 1.  In other words, they look exactly like air to a magnetic field. 

So, there would seem to be no reason why you can't paint or plastic-coat the ABS ring, provided the coating is thin enough to clear the sensor.  I wonder if that is the main reason they aren't coated from new: the gap between the sensor and the metal ABS ring must be small, and plastic coatings take up a good part of that gap. Therefore they are protected from corrosion by electroplating instead (which is extremely thin compared with paint or plastic). 

That's what my research says.  Always happy to be proved wrong, of course!  That's how we learn stuff. 

Andy m

What's the airgap filled with? What's the airgap the equivalent of when there is plastic then air above the steel? 

If you can get the sensor tip to run with zero clearance or the plastic is as accommodating as air for getting out of the way when a bearing wobbles you are sorted. 

You have 0.3 mm to play with. 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
FurstyFerret
On 15/06/2022 at 21:35, skes said:

Hi, did you ever get any problems from powder coating the ABS ring?