Vaseline on chain

wjvh

Don't do it! Even if you blend it 50/50 with ACF50, don't do it. I did this, and the rust protection has been excellent however it does seem to have bunged up several links. I have managed to free up most, there is one link which is solid (and six or so which are a bit stiff) but with that being the only one now the chain is running OK. It's about 12K miles old, should get up to 20K miles out of it now. Spent 1hr+ scurbbing off vaseline and all the gunk that had congealed around the O rings. FFS. You live ... you learn.

ChrisCB

There's a lot of things I can think of using vaseline for but chain lube isn't one of them! 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Andy m

Yep, too sticky, makes a nasty grinding* paste with road crud. I learnt that the hard way using it to stop MZ alloys corroding. In the days before jet washes that was an afternoon with a gallon of white spirit and a brush ☹️

* @Chris750 please note I have been very careful with the spell checker here, grindING not grindER 😁

Andy 

• Haha 5
jeremyr62

Reminds me of when I used to use Waxoyl to stop my bikes corroding (not the chain though). It worked really well, but getting it off in the spring was a real chore. Had to use white spirit too. ACF-50 to the rescue.

Grumpy old man

I changed my chain and sprockets today after 20000 miles everything started getting  bit viby. I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I removed the spring link ( the side plate  had to be, shall we say persuaded off,) but the link still remained well greased. Reassuring. 

My maintenance regime is just to regularly oil with gear oil.

I use to use vasoline on the spokes back in the year dot.

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 3
Xactly
2 hours ago, wjvh said:

Don't do it! Even if you blend it 50/50 with ACF50, don't do it. 

Strangely it never occurred to me; I did wonder about toothpaste though.... 

MatBin
1 hour ago, Xactly said:

Strangely it never occurred to me; I did wonder about toothpaste though.... 

You'll wonder where the O rings go when you brush your chain with Pepsodent.

Now, all sing along.

• Like 1
DCTPaul

Used to use parasene to clean, and chainsaw oil to lube...

Have a basic Scottoiler with twin delivery nozle fitted to the NC...

Oh how i wish the NC was belt drive... partnered with the DCT would be such a winner!

Edited by DCTPaul
Hickky
18 hours ago, Chris750 said:

There's a lot of things I can think of using vaseline for but chain lube isn't one of them!

Yup, the barrier to be used for chapped lips, and ensuring your thighs slide against each other if forced to take a long walk (heaven forbid) has its limited uses, but I cannot think of any others, please expand!

PoppetM

WD40 rubbed on to your wheel rims (especially if painted) makes cleaning them a lot easier 😀

ChrisCB
1 hour ago, Hickky said:

Yup, the barrier to be used for chapped lips, and ensuring your thighs slide against each other if forced to take a long walk (heaven forbid) has its limited uses, but I cannot think of any others, please expand!

Assembly of transfer gears in a Range Rover gearbox, factory recommendation around 1980.

• Haha 3
DCTPaul
4 hours ago, PoppetM said:

WD40 rubbed on to your wheel rims (especially if painted) makes cleaning them a lot easier 😀

As i have grown older, and with all the inclusion and diversity now prominent in todays society i have become confident with my femanine side, and embrace the light Lavender Fragrance of GT85...

Still prefer WD40 and Old Spice... and no not Gerrie!

Edited by DCTPaul
Hickky
43 minutes ago, DCTPaul said:

Still prefer WD40 and Old Spice... and no not Gerrie!

Here I am enjoying my last few days in Uganda, remembering that I needed some more deodorant as well as something to lubricate the car door hinges. Silicone spray is unobtanium here so I had to settle for WD40. Ahhh, that smell is nearly as nice as Castrol R, but as a door hinge lubricant, next to useless! 

Then on to the quest for deo. The UK brands cost a fortune, however, far more reasonable was Old Spice! My issue with this product is it is labeled as 'Old Spice Sport'!

With my knackered knees, the only sporting things I get up to are a runny nose and jumping to conclusions, but I guess, knowing Old Spices' marketing demographic, it is appropriate. 

• Haha 2
listener
15 hours ago, Hickky said:

but I cannot think of any others, please expand!

Smear it around the rim of your camera lens for that soft, dreamy aesthetic!

And I believe it's used in the boxing world to cover facial cuts.

But buggered if I can think of any other use for it ... :angel:

Edited by listener
Rocker66

We used to be advised to put it on the battery terminals to prevent corrosion..

• Like 2
Xactly
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

We used to be advised to put it on the battery terminals to prevent corrosion..

I still do.

• Like 1