Chain life

Blandy199

Steve Case

Sorry dude asr was after the r1100, all it had was abs the size of 2 house bricks.

Asr is a bag of crap anyroad all it does is reduce spin, had it on a skoda and i'd avoid both now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Case

• Xactly

• Andy m

• davebike

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9000  crap that is not good   |\Currently atabout 29k miles on oridgnal chain it will get changed in a week or so as the wheel will be out for a tyre and rear disk all I can say is lub lots of lu

Hi Go to post image (its free)  when you have done that click the upload button and select your picture. With choose images button. Once your picture has uploaded you will see a selection of option. H

I bet it wares out well quick.  Well you got the keep BMW dealers in nice new BMW cars!

Steve your opinion on ABS braking or Skoda is subjective. I had a large hub cap of an HGV come straight for me at a great rate of knots when in lane 2 on a motorway at around 70mph. I was in a Skoda Fabia. The fact that I had ABS allowed me to brake hard without locking up and still able to steer safely, saved the day. My human survival instinct was to brake and swerve to the right, away from the threat. A quick glimpse in the mirror showed another vehicle coming fast in lane three. So from going right to left and straight again whilst braking hard and not losing control was truly tested. The hub cap flattened like a frisbee just before I ran over it. So for me ABS every time.

• Like 1
Steve Case

ASR Peter, never commented on the ABS which has saved my bacon a couple of times!

As to the Skoda, if I make a list of the common electrical failures you can tick the ones you've also had.

Andy m

ASR is a slow speed system. The best example of designed use is a layby full of snow with a ditch and bit of a slope. The ASR vehicle drives out, the non-ASR one crabs into the ditch because the driver can't understand how the stationary vehicle was fine but the one with spinning wheels isn't. The bigger the vehicle the better. If people who just got off the bus stand down camber and between kerb and back axle it gets grisly. 

The ASR on the Guzzi is hideously crude. I would leave it turned off except the warning light stops you seeing the trip meter. 

Andy 

Steve Case

VW system circa 2000 ish used to work by reducing the engine revs, so you had to take your foot off the loud pedal and then reapply it. I suppose it stopped all those TDI's wheelspinning to oblivion on wet roundabouts.

Wow turbo Diesel cars, 20 years ago they were the future. Soon to join the 2 stroke and steam locomotive.

:D

Xactly
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

The ASR on the Guzzi is hideously crude. I would leave it turned off except the warning light stops you seeing the trip meter. 

Andy 

Yes it is. Though on my Special the red light doesn’t obliterate anything I find it distracting. If I could turn off the ASR permanently I would but “off” has to be reset each time. My compromise is to leave it on “1”, which is recommended for normal road conditions (whatever that means) anyway. On that setting it has never cut in. 
FWIW my brother got rid of his Roamer (earlier version with lower-tuned motor) because it was so lurchy in first gear that it was nearly unrideable. He blames the ASR - me, I think it might have been St Greta’s fug box. We’ll never know. He bought himself a Royal Enfield Interceptor, with which he’s delighted.

My own view is that I managed to ride bikes with none of these safety aids without incident for forty odd years. Personally I’d do without the lot except ABS, on a bike anyway.

• Like 1
Steve Case

Yup 2nd that.

If I ever get round to a big 2 up bike for the summer I'd want ABS just so it reduces the chances of tipping it with her on board.