Oil filter torque setting query

Filonian

Thought I'd give the Integra an oil change. Bought a HiFlo 204 (as recommended on their website}. On looking at the filter it states recommended torque values of 8 - 12 N-m on the casing yet Honda recommend 26 N-m in the handbook. I have used the HiFlo 204 in the past. on my Bonneville but Triumph recommend 12 N-m for the Bonneville.

I have noticed on the forum that others have used the Hi Flo 204. 

Should I have really bought a genuine Honda oil filter ?

Don't want to strip any threads or have a leaking filter

Comments / advice greatly appreciated.

Filonian

Hand tight is enough, I usually oil the O ring seal and give it about a quarter of a turn extra as I'm old.

• Like 4

Ridiculous torque figure, 26Nm! Goodness knows why Honda specify it. 

It’s been discussed here before, as Dave above says, just do it up by hand, no need to force it, just like any other similar filter with the o ring. 

I've used Hi Flo 204 lots of times, nice quality. No problems at all. Independent workshops use them frequently too. 

• Like 1

I've always used the rule hand tight plus a quarter turn when fitting an oil filter and never had any issues with leaks or getting it back off again.

Also use the hiflo filter on my NC.

• Like 3
Xactly
2 hours ago, dave said:

Hand tight is enough, I usually oil the O ring seal and give it about a quarter of a turn extra as I'm old.

That’s what I do.

• Like 2
fj_stuart

Yamaha really want to let you know the correct torque on my FJ's oil filter casing - it's cast on there. 1.5 kg m = 15 N m = 11 ft lb. Fair enough - if you strip this you've wrecked the engine. Thinking about it kg m is an odd unit. Not really a torque because kg is mass rather than force.

P1280245

• Like 3
DCTPaul

Used Hi Flo Oil Filters (both cartridge and element) and Air Filters on Scoots and Bikes before...

Haven't done an Oil and Filter Change on the NC yet.

I purchased the OE Honda 'oil filter set' - ready for the first change, as it works out ya get the fluted 'removal' tool for a few quid. and will take me past the Waranty period, just in case... I also have a Hi Flo HF204 Canister and a Hi Flo HF117 element for the DCT for the one after, and will go with the Hi Flo HF1715 Air Filter when need be.

On my old XMax 400 Scoot it had Oil Filter, and 3x Air Filters... (2 intake and one for the Variator... ) Yam OE was about £60... Hi Flo Set was £21...

I would also use Champion, as commonly stocked at Halfords.

On a Canister Filter it's Oil the O ring, and Hand Tight for me... as it's called a 'removal' tool...

Edited by DCTPaul
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Will do as others i.e. hand tight + quarter turn, which is what I do on the Bonneville. It was just the Honda torque value being more than double the Triumphs that was concerning.

cheers everyone

• Like 1
Andy m

Honda don't make oil filters, so the only reason to use the ones that come in logo'd boxes is if you are inside the warranty period. They are probably made by the same people who do hi-flo of K&N. It's all just branding until you hit Chinese counterfeit rubbish. 

The torque figure as noted above is insane. 

If you strip one there are repair kits. Often an adapter that self taps or goes on with sealant and then a filter with a hole the next size up. The threads in the filter should fail first, but with some of the materials you'll find on motorcycles you wouldn't bet on it. 

Andy 

• Like 1
listener
22 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

Thinking about it kg m is an odd unit. Not really a torque because kg is mass rather than force.

Yes but a kg-m is the torque generated by a mass of 1 kg applying effort on the end of a 2nd class lever that is 1 m from the fulcrum; the load in this case is (very) close to the fulcrum.

23 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

1.5 kg m = 15 N m = 11 ft lb

More correctly 1.5kg-m = 1.5 x g (ie 9.81 ) = 14.71 Nm = 10.85 lb-ft

Note: lb-ft is the unit of torque but ft-lb (the unit of energy) is often used instead.

They are equal in value (a x b <=> b x a) but represent different physical aspects (one is a scalar value, the other is a vector).

fj_stuart
15 minutes ago, listener said:

Note: lb-ft is the unit of torque but ft-lb (the unit of energy) is often used instead.

They are equal in value (a x b <=> b x a) but represent different physical aspects (one is a scalar value, the other is a vector).

I did not know that - I have learned something today.