NC750X flaking paint - exhaust can

Robi55

So today I decided to give the NC a good clean on the undercarriage as it had been 2 or 3 weeks. All looking good until I removed the heat shield on the exhaust can, to find 3 or 4 areas of flaked paint underneath, showing bare metal. A bit disappointed to be honest, given the bike is cleaned regularly and has been ACF 50'd a couple of times this winter. I also avoid the worst of the weather. It is kept outside but alwasy covered.  The bike is 11 months old. 

Has anyone had similar and know of a good fix? Possible warranty claim?

outrunner

It is a common thing with them, some have had replacements under warranty so go see your dealer first before trying to clean it up yourself.

Andy.

Steve T

Mine was like it after 4kmiles and one yeaar old (when it came into my ownership).

It's just spray on paint, so no suprise that it comes off so easily. When mine gets reet bad I'll be giving it a rub down & re-spray.

Steve T

B)

I noticed this happening under the heat guard quite early on* but then just ignored it over the years and it hasn't got much worse.

* I gave up removing the heat guard and screen to give those awkward-to-get-at bits a clean.

Steve Case

I wash mine down with water when theres salt on the roads and will pop it off and spray it black again when the weather picks up.

This will be the 2nd time on a 5 year old bike, but its no worse than old 2 strokes were.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be giving the dealer a call to get their view. If I decide to keep long term perhaps a LeoVince would be the answer..

Xactly
1 hour ago, Robi55 said:

Thanks for the replies. I'll be giving the dealer a call to get their view. If I decide to keep long term perhaps a LeoVince would be the answer..

Yes, I fitted a Skorpion to mine. It’s much better made, lighter (so it’s easier to manoeuvre the bike, not a performance aid) and sounds and looks much better. My original is like new and is in the garage loft.

Steveg

Had my exhaust and swinging arm replaced under warranty , no problem with dealer approving 

At same time they did failed rear wheel bearings under warranty 

I sold bike a few months later 

Go see your dealer 

Cheers Steveg

Steve Case

Yeah mines been thru at leat 3 winters and nearly 50K now so starting to look a little dog eared.

Mind you I bought it to ride until the wheels fall off so I guess I'll not be moving it on soon.

• 4 months later...

Quick update. Had the second service done last month, all fine but the dealer wasn't especially helpful over the exhaust paint issue. He shut down my question of a possible warrantly claim very quickly, saying "follow me" at which point I was taken into the workshop and shown about 5 bikes all with the same issue, a couple far worse than mine. A CB500x had lost about half the paint off its can and looked a right mess, also with rust on the welds. Still not thrilled given the bike is less than 18 months old and well cared for, fit and finish was one of the key reasons I chose the NC over the VStrom.

But it is what it is and so a home re-spray is due.........any recommendations from folks who have done the same on decent paint that might last a winter?

poldark

Whether other bikes suffer the same is completely irrelevant, if it's not fit for purpose.

I had mine replaced under warranty with no quibble - call Honda UK directly.

alhendo1
11 minutes ago, poldark said:

Whether other bikes suffer the same is completely irrelevant, if it's not fit for purpose.

Same with my NC...replaced under warranty by dealer...no quibble...I'd try Poldarks suggestion above before putting your own time and effort into it, unless you want to of course.

For the record my 500x is still on it's original end can with 3 winters under it's belt and bar the occasional wash and acf50 treatment there's no sign of any paint flaking...looks like it's an intermittent quality issue they have.

This is making me feel really good about the ten year old chrome can on my ncx. Still rust free.

Martinlincs

I have had the same problems with exhaust and swing arm but I decided to get my wheels powder coated so I also included the swing arm and exhaust, came back looking brilliant been on for about 6 months now and all looks good but only time will tell. 

On 29/08/2022 at 21:36, poldark said:

I'm certainly not excusing the dealer, just reporting what happened and the response I received. The swingarm on mine is good as new, no issues there but I was irritated by how quickly the dealer pointed to o other bikes. Will be contacting Honda direct when I return from holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

So having drawn a blank with the dealer and having decided not to wait 6 months before or indeed if, I will get a reply from Honda I decided to take action before the weather turns. So removed the end can over the weekend and resprayed with (hopefully!) the right spec paint and re-assembled. And a whole lot better it looks too. Only time will tell how well it fares over time and I shall monitor closely.

Here is the offending item when removed from the bike. The bike is less than 18 months old and while I ride in winter, never in the worst weather and it gets cleaned down regularly and has been ACF 50'd twice, once before last winter and then in Spring.

IMG_20220911_124105.jpg

IMG_20220911_123950_3.jpg

jeremyr62

Mine is the same. I just paint it when it gets really bad. 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
steeve139

Hi, This is my first post.

Getting a new one under warranty is a good idea - it teaches Honda to use better parts - saving profit and reputation - I with I had thpought of that.

I have a 22-plate Forza 750 with 14k miles on it.  From about 10k miles on I noticed that paint was flaking off my silencer.  When I removed the heat shield I saw that more was flaking off.  It looked just like the secondhand ones on that auction site for between £75 and £125.

So I painted mine with high temperature black paint from Halfords at £8 for 250ml.  I used just a little, applied it by brush, and did it carefully in situ.  I just draped newspaper and cardboard over the swinging arm.  So far I have done about 100 miles with it, in the dry, and it is OK.

When I do need a replacement, I shall either buy a secondhand one from that auction site, painting it before putting it on, or I shall by a Delkovic PR1828 and a 2" to 1.4" adaptor from "every exhaust component".

Hopefully that will fit.

jeremyr62
36 minutes ago, steeve139 said:

Getting a new one under warranty is a good idea - it teaches Honda to use better parts

Better paint really is what's needed. The underlying steel looks like some very marginal stainless variant but it looks just about good enough. If it was really crappy mild steel like bikes of yore they would be inundated with complaints.

poldark

I got a replacement can under warranty, just at the two year mark.  Give them their due, Honda UK complaints were very good in dealing with my call/issue and were happy for me to use my nearest dealer (who hadn't supplied it)

steeve139

Hi,

The Forza silencer is made by Sankei-GK of Japan.  It has "Sankei" written on it.  No doubt Honda wrote a detailed specification for the part, and tested it thoroughly before approving it for use.  Now that it is on the parts list (probably single-sourced), and is critical for acoustic noise as well as emissions homologations, it is firmly entrenched at Honda.

We have to assume that the "paint flaking at 12 months" was noticed by Honda and was approved for use.  And I am prepared to believe that other Hondas with matt black silencers are no better.

My advice?  Catch it early and paint it yourself - a stitch in time saves nine.  Even a secondhand original is cheaper than many other after-market silencers - once painted they should be fine, they do maintain the original look of the bike, and they shouldn't give any problems at MoT time.

Slowboy
On 14/09/2022 at 17:20, Robi55 said:

So having drawn a blank with the dealer and having decided not to wait 6 months before or indeed if, I will get a reply from Honda I decided to take action before the weather turns. So removed the end can over the weekend and resprayed with (hopefully!) the right spec paint and re-assembled. And a whole lot better it looks too. Only time will tell how well it fares over time and I shall monitor closely.

Here is the offending item when removed from the bike. The bike is less than 18 months old and while I ride in winter, never in the worst weather and it gets cleaned down regularly and has been ACF 50'd twice, once before last winter and then in Spring.

IMG_20220911_124105.jpg

IMG_20220911_123950_3.jpg

I’m assuming it’s a stainless steel, if it is paint will always fall off like this, at least in my experience. That’s not to justify it, but after years working with stainless, it never takes paint well. Might work with powder coating, never tried it, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.
Looks like it’s just a thin blow over coat as well, same as on the frame of my Super Cub. It doesn’t do to look too deep at Hondas quality these days.

If that was off a Chinese built bike we’d all be bemoaning their poor quality. Good luck with your repair.

• Like 1
Jamesc

Poorly cleaned after welding also...I bet mine is the same! I live a stone's throw away from the sea although rarely see corrosion on cars and bikes where I am, probably due in part to no salt on the roads.

A few miles offshore everything corrodes much more quickly - 316 SS bolts we change them for Super Duplex, need to paint over galvanised surfaces and even paint 6Mo SS parts. The NC exhaust is probably 304 SS.

• Like 1