Fuel Capacity

auldian

Skidt
10 hours ago, count von count said:

Love the way the trip meter resets itself after refuelling.

Think i might need to have another quick read of the owners manual. 🤔

Trev
10 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Watch this. He did it for you.

I've done the same with the Hunter Cub to see how accurate the new guage is and it's pretty good, at least 30 miles on 'reserve', bit more if I turn mode switch to super duper slow 😁 

jeremyr62
10 hours ago, count von count said:

I get jumpy as soon as the fuel indicator flips to “reserve” so it’s straight off to the nearest fuel station for me.

Well all the evidence suggests there is no need. Even if you were really hard on the throttle you would easily get 30 miles from when it starts flashing.

Edited by jeremyr62
steelhorseuk

My NC700SA manual will do at least 55 miles after the low fuel indicator comes on.

I know this because I had to test it out in Spain a few years back. Fully loaded with luggage and two up. 

The bike started flashing the low fuel warning just outside 'Potes' where I had planned our fuel stop.

Unfortunately, we were diverted and had to go around which turned out to be a further 92Km! (57miles)  

I kissed the bike that day I can tell you!

I have never been concerned since when I see that flashing light! 

• Like 2
Xactly
2 hours ago, Trev said:

I've done the same with the Hunter Cub to see how accurate the new guage is and it's pretty good, at least 30 miles on 'reserve', bit more if I turn mode switch to super duper slow 😁 

Glad he did it for us. It’s the obvious way to find out but it does run the risk of sucking up sediment from the tank. Also, the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by fuel passing through it, so running low on or out of fuel is best avoided in my opinion.

listener

The NC fuel arrangement is very similar to the old CB250 Superdream; 3.1 gallon (14.1 L) tank with approximately 0.75 gallon (3.4 L) reserve.

So whatever your mpg is you have around three-quarters that available when the light flashes (eg 70mpg then better fuel up within the next 52 miles).

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Bostedsprocket

Considering this is the most economical bike i have ever owned i have still managed to run out of fuel on it, in the past all of my fuel tap bikes Suzuki bandit etc as soon as i flipped the tap over to reserve i would head straight to a garage and fill up, but with the nc i keep telling myself when its flashing at me iv'e got at least one more ride to work and back till i need to sort it........loose track and end up pushing the thing lol.

jeremyr62

You could get one of those FuelFriend 1 or 1.5 litre fuel bottles and leave it in the frunk.

Full of petrol obviously..

Slowboy
25 minutes ago, Bostedsprocket said:

Considering this is the most economical bike i have ever owned i have still managed to run out of fuel on it, in the past all of my fuel tap bikes Suzuki bandit etc as soon as i flipped the tap over to reserve i would head straight to a garage and fill up, but with the nc i keep telling myself when its flashing at me iv'e got at least one more ride to work and back till i need to sort it........loose track and end up pushing the thing lol.

Well now you know when you don’t….😂😂😂

I always used to use the trip as a fuel gauge. Once the light started flashing I knew I had about 30 to 40 miles left, comfortably.

It also helped me remember, most of the time😂

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
treedweller

I tend to base fueling on range. It bugs me that my trip-meter starts flashing and hides the total miles some 50+ miles before the end of the tank. :mad: 

Luckily, I saw the video above before this almost became an issue recently and didn’t stress out when it started yelling at me 30 miles from a convenient station. 

I read somewhere you can turn off the auto-reset of Trip A at fill-up—can you turn off this panicky idiot light, as well? 

Edited by treedweller
vanbobble
On 05/04/2022 at 17:09, Empty_Ten said:

Tank capacity is 14 litres, reserve light starts flashing when you have approximately 3 litres left.

How much fuel you use whilst on the reserve will obviously affect how much goes in the tank.

How you fill it up will also affect how much you'll get in the tank.  If you fill up on the side stand, you will get less in.    If you stop filling once the pump clicks, you'll get less in etc.

I fill mine on the centre stand and brim it right to the top (then let it settle).  The fuel gauge seems pretty accurate.  I normally refill within 5 miles of the fuel light coming on, using my method, I consistently get 11-11.4 litres in.

Agree I fill up on centre stand.. and don’t put the nozzle in a far as it will go, or you miss out on a couple litres