Testing the fan

tiwo

I’m curious to know if my fan works so I don’t get stuck somewhere with a boiling engine. Does anyone know of a test procedure apart from just leaving the bike ticking over to get it hot.
DaveM59

On my Integra leaving it ticking over didn't work, it just took ages to warm up and never reached fan heat. Yours might be different so try it.

If you look in the fusebox the relay in the bottom left is for the fan. If you pull it out, the two slightly larger horizontal sockets are the relay switched pins. If you bridge them together with the ignition on then the fan should run. This is a direct feed from the starter relay connections via the relay to the fan motor. The switching connections to the relay are from the ECU and temp sensor on the thermostat casing. DO NOT connect these together. Look at section 8-15 in the workshop manual and it's the two sockets that coincides with these relay pins with the Ohms logo pointing to them you need to bridge on the relay socket. The ECU actually does the switching of the relay.

This will only prove the motor works and not that the sensor or relay is OK so probably not worthwhile anyway as it doesn't prove a lot.  Best way is to ride it hard for a short while (towards home if you are worried) then let it idle with the front of the bike into a sheltered area and with luck it should then reach a high enough temp. The fan isn't all that noisy though.

• Like 2